PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for 2020 F56 Cooper 1.3 petrol

Bianchi Dave
2nd April 2021, 01:47 PM
Hi All

Our Cooper (1.5 petrol) is about a year old and given the low mileage when we purchased, we won't be doing the miles to trigger a CBS service before two years, so it wont be due its first service until around March 2022. I don't like the idea of leaving it that long so was going to get an interim oil change done soon, at the local garage (and not update service record).

Just wanted to check which oil others are using. I bought the car from Parks and they advise they use Castrol 0w-30, but I imagine that will just be the brand currently offering them the best bulk buy. I've seen mention that the factory oil is maybe Shell Helix?

I think I'll also need 4.5 litres. I'll just supply this myself as I'm sure it will be cheaper.

Cheers

Dave

MINI William
2nd April 2021, 05:50 PM
MINI always used to recommend Castrol but changed to Shell Helix a few years ago now.

I’ve used Petronas on my last few oil changed and never had any issues

Bianchi Dave
2nd April 2021, 06:36 PM
Cheers guys
Yes, it used to be Castrol and I think Mobil prior to that. My manual states 0w-30 BMW Longlife -04, -12FE or 17FE+, ACEA C2 or C3. Its confusing as hell really, trying to work out which is best to get!
A main dealer on ebay is doing 5x 1ltr bottles of the MINI branded Shell (LL-04) for 56.99, so might just go with that. I'll give Eliot at HF Kirkcaldy a shout too, to see if they are any cheaper.

MiniMpi
13th April 2021, 07:53 AM
I believe they changed in 2020 to 0W-20.