PDA

View Full Version : Beltline dechrome help!

Sammychuk
2nd September 2020, 06:39 PM
hi

I could do with a little help de-chroming the belt line on my car. I've bought the tape and watched a coupe of videos on it, but I can't seem to get it right. Would anyone be able to give me a hand to do it right?

Thanks!

MINI William
2nd September 2020, 06:44 PM
Best to do it on a hot/ warm day and wind at a minimum or in a garage that’s at a reasonable temp. Best thing to do is cut your stripe of vinyl to the section your working on at the time and then start at one end and carefully work your way to the other using heat if needed. Your better to wrap around the edges than to cut to the end of the chrome to allow for heat expansion & contraction

badwolf340
2nd September 2020, 06:45 PM
Like most things it takes a bit of practice to get a reasonable job ,the chrome belt line has to be clean and you are best to do it on a warm day which helps the new belt line tape mould round the corners .dont be afraid to line up tape and if not right lift it off and take back until it lines up .
where about are you located ?

goggs
2nd September 2020, 07:03 PM
As above, I made a mess of it the first go round but with a bit of help/guidance from the great members on here I got it 2nd time round [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Track Ali
2nd September 2020, 07:19 PM
Happy to give a hand if that's what you're after, although with a bit of patience I reckon you'll get it spot on by yourself. :thumbs up:

Here's a couple of tips that I found helpful:

- Work slowly along the top edge and, if the vinyl's cut to the right width, the bottom edge will take car of itself - if you try to focus on both edges as you go along then you'll drive yourself mad.

- I started by getting one end of the vinyl stuck down. I then held the other end at maximum reach with my right hand whilst sticking it down with my left. Doing so made it easier to adjust and line-up nice and straight. (Just be careful though not to pull the vinyl too tightly... as the vinyl can easily stretch and deform).

- Depending on the vinyl you're working with, you should be able to peel off and reapply as required to get it perfect.

- As others have said, a bit of heat can help (although as you warm the vinyl up it'll become more prone to stretching).

As others have said, take your time and you should get it done :thumbs up:

Sammychuk
2nd September 2020, 08:50 PM
thanks for the advice, i think i well have one more try myself