PDA

View Full Version : Air intake

Michaeld
6th May 2020, 10:55 AM
Hi folks,

I’m looking into the design and manufacture of a carbon fibre enclosed air intake system, from bumper to turbo in preferably only two pieces. This will replace the front foglight assembly on non aero bumpers and make a modification to the duct enclosure on the left hand side of S/JCW models that have the radiator mounted in the wheel well assembly.

I have the cooper so I can pretty much work out the requirements for that and non aero bumper models, but i would like to have a look at the jcw/s layout. As looking at parts on realoem and pictures are not giving me a great idea as what I’m looking at dimensions wise

This would be on f56 model 2013/4 to present.

Any help advise would be appreciated too.

Cheers

Michael

badwolf340
6th May 2020, 03:28 PM
What is it you need ? Just a picture of the layout ?

MINI William
6th May 2020, 04:38 PM
Are you just needing a picture(s) or do you want to see a car?

Michaeld
6th May 2020, 05:54 PM
Pictures should be fine for now. if you could put some dimensions in that would be great.

I’m also needing to know the layout of the original part that holds the duct part on, my guess is that it has similarities to the light holding cage. Also a picture top looking down after the removal of the airbox. In the Cooper there is a gap that I’m running a 55/60 mm duct from the assembly at bumper to engine bay, it is going to run almost parallel with the hose that transfers the intercooler to the inlet manifold. Just really looking for the general space in that section see if I can make a one part fits all or if it is going to be the head ache of individual parts.

Cheers

MINI William
6th May 2020, 08:24 PM
There should be photos in my F56 JCW Challenge thread in the gallery section

Michaeld
7th May 2020, 10:17 AM
Back to drawing board on that idea, I would have to bypass the lighting system due to the incorporation of the daylight running lights. On the Cooper at least.

Has anyone opened the secondary filter section of the intake or know what’s in it. It is classified as a filter but can’t see replacement elements for it. My guess is that it is a baffling system to reduce noise.