PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel drive & snow

Borvad
25th March 2020, 03:51 PM
currently looking into a new job, and with that I'm 'window shopping' at moment on my next car.

The route to my new place of work, fingers crossed I get it, is quite hilly, but I'm thinking on rear wheel drive car.................any way to combat or cope if it WAS to be arear wheel drive and the snow hit?

thanks

Borvad
26th March 2020, 12:20 AM
Is this to replace the Paceman?

Possibility........but keeping all options open

badwolf340
26th March 2020, 09:09 AM
Momentum is the key element

MINI William
28th March 2020, 05:34 PM
I don’t think a GT86 is a good idea at anytime of the year. They look awful

matsarm
28th March 2020, 05:39 PM

[emoji23] brilliant fun though. So underpowered you’re can chuck it into anything.

Borvad
28th March 2020, 10:17 PM

but look so much better done up!

badwolf340
29th March 2020, 10:59 AM
[emoji23] brilliant fun though. So underpowered you’re can chuck it into anything.
Including the bin :hand:

nobbyclark
30th March 2020, 10:51 AM
My 2p's worth. In May 2016, I was driving back from Edinburgh airport to Perth at about 10pm on a Thursday in my R53. There was an unexpected blizzard that left lying snow on the M90 from just north of the old bridge. The outside lane was almost unusable and the inside lane was crawling (for a motorway) at between 30-40 with big gaps between vehicles. North of junction 8, the road starts to climb moderately gently. At this point, there were a lot of cars, vans and lorries not making any progress or just spinning. All of the cars were BMWs and Mercedes, with rear wheel drive. My Mini kept on going, even in deepish snow in the outside lane. For that reason, I have always checked myself when considering chopping the Mini in for a Mustang, M3 or something else that might struggle on our roads. Having said that, winter tyres and driving technique may save the day.