PDA

View Full Version : Mini Production

M600-RKJ
6th December 2019, 10:52 PM
Just read an article that from 2022 onwards mini plant oxford will only be used to produce the SE.

It's not new news that they were building a factory in China, but it seems that china is going to be the main production facility going forward

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MINI William
7th December 2019, 10:07 AM
Hopefully quality levels don’t drop

M600-RKJ
7th December 2019, 11:36 AM
Quality standards should stay the same because it's not being outsourced. What it sounds like is that great wall might be rebadging minis in china. Thats just my takeaway though.

BMW and great wall have both invested 650M each into the new super factory

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Stewart
24th December 2019, 10:12 AM
Surly they won’t have fossil Mini’s only built in China:frown: - A MINI built in China in partnership with Great Wall (who have a shocking reputation) and not Oxford would just kill the brand for me. Not saying I’d not consider a second or third gen Cooper SE. But a MINI not produced here feels wrong. I know the Countryman, Convertible are assembled in Born (Netherlands) but for the Hatch to come all the way from China just would feel wrong. Always remember standing in the Oxford plant where at the time my R56 Spluttered to life for the very first time, I like things like that.

My plan was always with my from new F56 to run it for 8-10 years till the EV side sorted itself out and everything had matured a bit especially concerning legacy Car makers and Battery tech. In fairness if I felt the car was not polluting as much and cheap as chips to fuel I’d certainly use it a lot more just for pleasure.