PDA

View Full Version : rear 6x9s suckin all da'juice?

mgemie
29th October 2004, 10:52 PM
I've just fitted a pair of 6x9s in my rear parcel shelf and when powered they draw power/volume away from the front&rear cabin speakers....anyone with any ideas on how to sort? I've the parcel shelf 6x9s running off an amp in the boot which is being fed by the HUs pre-out. This amp is also powering a 12" sub, also in da boot (i've ran the amp with 6x9s without the sub and the same cabin powerloss still occurs.

KINGHORN
30th October 2004, 02:14 AM
DOES it only happen with the stereo or all electrical items in the car,

X30YES
30th October 2004, 03:17 AM
Try bigger cable !!!

minidriver#1
30th October 2004, 07:36 PM
try bigger components! lol. this is what i found, although not too noticeable, when i have the volume really loud. What is the power output of the amp in your head unit?

mgemie
31st October 2004, 07:53 PM
Headunit: Alpine CDE-9828RB @4x50w.

I've attached a diag below to give you an idea of my (current)rough arrangement of speakers etc....

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/15569/47738_thumb.jpg (http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/15569/47738.jpg)

Originally i had a 12" Sony XS-L121P5 sub feeding off the amp (in place of the infiniti 6x9s) however, this didn't seem to be producing much oomph so i temporarily removed it and them wired up the 6x9s. I say current speaker arrangement since i will eventually be fitting front components (any suggestions for brand/spec?) and another pair of infiniti 9603i in the rear.

- The wiring for the infiniti 9603is is 2.5mm2 apparently rated at 300w - is this suitable (am asking this incase its what X30YES suggested...)?

- Also, i've been wondering if my HU would allow me to run speakers off the front and rear pre-outs while also running the factory fitted front&rear speakers direct from the HU..or would it stop feeding the front&rear as soon as i plugged speakers into the front&rear pre-outs?

Can anyone help me with the ideal setup for speakers, amp and sub mentioned in the above image? - Eventually i want to have a setup where i have upgraded front and rear speakers in the cabin, a pair of 6x9s in the rear parcel shelf and and sub in da boot..If you ppls could give me tips and pointers in achieving this i'd be v.grateful....

...and feel free to slag me off in my choice of amp and sub:D:D:blackeye: i know sony stuff isnt seen as the best choice but i was given them by a mate and i dont want to buy new sub/amps unless i really have to lol....:D

mgemie
31st October 2004, 07:54 PM
short-term aim - to sort this powerloss problem with the cabin speakers when i have the 6x9s connected....

Burple
3rd November 2004, 12:16 AM
As a serious recommendation,
swap the factory 6x9s with your infinitys in the rear panels (bin the factory 6x9s) and just run the sub off the amp. that's the way mine's running, and it's fair loud enough, and there's no losses to anything in the cabin!
I've wired in both my own and Flick's cars like this (and she has very similar Sony kit!) an neither one has any problem..
The 50W to each rear infinity won't trouble them a bit, and only the sub will be running off the amp. Make sure you have a decent earth in the boot for the amp too, and that all your connections are solid, and no bare wires are touching ANYTHING, or getting squashed by trim etc.... More speakers aren't necessarily better, but decent power to decent speakers will sound better, without losing any sound 'staging'...
How you getting on?

Wul
3rd November 2004, 12:24 AM
LnL - how easy is it to remove the rear panels to access the 6x9's? I know how to do it but a bit scared of wrecking all the panel clips pulling the thing off! :eek:

Big Col
3rd November 2004, 12:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

pulling the thing off! :eek:

<sniggers>

broken_brian
3rd November 2004, 02:38 AM
i would agree with ewan about putting the 6x9s into the rear door pods and just running the sub off of the amp as that is the same setup that i had in my mini
and it is now in the alfaand i get plenty of punch out of my vibe 300w sub

as for your wiring diag you apperar to be running the 6x9s off of the sub preout you would be better running them off of the rear preout

if your sub was lacking punch it may have been that the h/u sub level was not turned up enough or that it is running out of phase with the rest of the speakers which could also explain why it seems that the rear 6x9s seem louder than the fronts as they are getting more power than the rest of your speakers due to being put through a more powerful amp

i have a similar alpine unit and you can alter the phase of the sub in the sub sub menu and your amp could have a swith for doing it as well you just need to make sure that they are both set to the same and you should get plenty of punch out of yer sub as i had the same prob when i moved everything over to the alfa

hope this helps

ps just had a look at yer amp on the sony website you shouldnt be running your 6x9s off of it as it is a dedicated sub amp and it will only put out low frequencys that are reproduced by subwoofers

mgemie
3rd November 2004, 09:09 AM
i'll be replacing the rear factory 6x9s with infinity 9603is...however, i'm stuck as to what speakers to go for in the front. Can anyone recommend a pair of component speakers, preferably infiniti as well. Am i correct is saying that the front speakers are 13cm? - i'd be looking for something the same size. If i'm replacing the front speakers am i also best to change the front tweeters as well?

Burple
3rd November 2004, 07:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

LnL - how easy is it to remove the rear panels to access the 6x9's? I know how to do it but a bit scared of wrecking all the panel clips pulling the thing off! :eek:

<snigger>...

easy peasy! So long as you don't have giant shovel hands you don't need to pull the whole panel off...
Take the rubber dor trim off (about halfway round the door_ and find a place to get your fingers in, and just pull the trim away from the door aperture. Take the door pillar side right off, then start pullign at the top of the panel to pop the clips along the bottom of the window. Just make sure you have something on stand by to retrieve the clips that *will* fall down the back! ;) (and some spare clips on stand by! ;):D
You might have to whip your head unit out a bit to check out the colour coded wires to correctly match them up to the right (correct) speaker terminals..
You should be able to pull the panel back enough at the door side to get your hands and screwdriver in to remove the old and put the new speakers in. Remember to test them before you put the panels back.
refitting is the reverse to removal... ;);):D:D
Prob take you about an hour or so.... and it means you don't have to take the back seats out! :D

Burple
3rd November 2004, 07:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

i'll be replacing the rear factory 6x9s with infinity 9603is...however, i'm stuck as to what speakers to go for in the front. Can anyone recommend a pair of component speakers, preferably infiniti as well. Am i correct is saying that the front speakers are 13cm? - i'd be looking for something the same size. If i'm replacing the front speakers am i also best to change the front tweeters as well?

Yup, 13cm they are.. Infinity do a set (they should have them in Hellfrauds too if you want to go play with them). you might have to get a set of conversion surrounds to fit them (Maybe a wee email to MikeyTheMini on Mini2 to ask?). They also do a nice set of components to match, but remember you'll have to find somewhere to hide the wee crossover box. A few people on Mini2 have hidden these away in the door panel while fitting their speakers..:D

mgemie
23rd November 2004, 11:18 PM
what amp would be best paired to these Infinity 9603is?

Burple
24th November 2004, 01:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

what amp would be best paired to these Infinity 9603is?

Hmmm...
Well If I remember, they're rated at about 200Watts? (or are they?)
Best bet is to go for a 2 channel amp kicking out about this per channel (not any more than 200w)
Or if you want to amplify the fronts too, get a nice juicy 4 channel amp.... :D And keep the 2 spare channels for later... :D

mgemie
24th November 2004, 09:10 AM
peak power is 300w according to da box... btw wots the difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers?

aimee_s
24th November 2004, 09:14 AM
mg...are you just amping your speakers, or have you got a sub in there somehwere...cant remember. does amping the speakers make a big difference, bearing in mind i have the infititys in the back and geneisis in the front. 110W RMS each in back, 70RMS (i think) in the front, HU is (supposedly) 52W x4

weefozzy Jr
25th November 2004, 09:59 AM
the difference between 2-way and 3-way is the different sounds u get. 2-way has your main outer speaker(bass) then a tweeter. 3-way gives you your a 2-way speaker plus a mid range. i know what i mean but its hard to type it when your special like me. your best setup would be to replace the tweeters and standard speakers in all ur pannels. (have a nice place if you wanna add 2 more tweeters). then using your amp and sub run your bass of that. if you wanna run 6x9, tweeters or mids of an amp remember to use a cross over to get the best performance. but just go for it the louder the better....te he