PDA

View Full Version : Change of rear brakes help wanted?

Fontal
29th October 2004, 05:07 PM
Hi all I've just got my rear discs and pads and need some advice on how to fit them I have to get them on this weekend as the car is due for a service on Wednesday and i'm on the boat Tuesday night
I know the pistons have to be turned as you push them in but in what direction and what tools has anybody used?
Also is there anything I should look for when the wheel is off?

HELP

Cheers Richard

sw
29th October 2004, 05:11 PM
Have a look at this step by step guide, hope it helps.

http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5

Fontal
1st November 2004, 07:17 PM
Talk about a piece of piss 15mins each side what was I worrying about:clown: but the one thing I will say to anybody that is following the instructions above you don't need to use a C clamp to push the piston in I used the pliers from a leatherman tool and just pushed when turning and it just slipped in, I think the C clamp would possibly damage the pistons.

Note to every one with alloys never run the car with the brakes metal to metal as it wrecks your alloy mine now needs to be bead blasted and re painted:clown::(

Gismo
1st November 2004, 09:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal
Talk about a piece of piss 15mins each side what was I worrying about:clown:
Good news Richard, i'm putting my Tarox rear discs on tomorrow :cool:

Fontal
1st November 2004, 09:23 PM
The only bit that took a bit of time was the retaining bolts for the discs ( one sheared off) but the wheel bolts will hold it in place:)
in addition to the tools mentioned in the above link is some very very fine emery paper and copper slip to clean and grease the calliper sliding bolts (Not sure on the technical term)as they need to be clean and free moving and a leatherman or any multi tool as it was invaluable.
Are the new discs the same size or are they bigger:question:

Gismo
1st November 2004, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal
The only bit that took a bit of time was the retaining bolts for the discs ( one sheared off) but the wheel bolts will hold it in place:)
Are the new discs the same size or are they bigger:question:
Fingers crossed the retaining bolt will be ok :evil: the Tarox discs are simply replacements, am gonna paint the calipers red to match the fronts at the same time :cool:

Gismo
3rd November 2004, 10:11 PM
Discs on, retaining bolts ok, but the piston :eek: wow, really struggled to get it back in :evil: got there in the end, but, had to bolt the caliper back on at the bottom and twist and turn with all my weight, which is a lot :I

Big Col
3rd November 2004, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

and twist and turn with all my weight,

<ponders a comment> <thinks better of it> :blackeye:

Fontal
4th November 2004, 11:03 PM
Strange the ones on mine were simple to push back in good job though Alan

Richard