PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain tensioner

VRRab&Diane
15th August 2019, 12:48 PM
Anyone any advice on whether I should get the timing chain tensioner replaced on my R50. I normally replace timing belt on any second hand car purchase purely as precautionary measure. This is my first mini and was wondering if it is advisable to get this job done as a precaution due to the age of the car. It’s a 2003 cooper. Anyone any thoughts? I don’t have any rattles or noises from the engine. Cheers

badwolf340
15th August 2019, 05:32 PM
Depending on mileage and servicing if it’s not noisy why change

MINI William
15th August 2019, 08:44 PM
It was really only R56 cars that had issues with the timing chain. If it’s going to give you peace of mind then it’s a good thing. What mileage is on the car?

VRRab&Diane
16th August 2019, 10:03 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for your advice. It was one of my mates who advised the tensioner change but he is by no means a mini expert. He had just heard that the timing chain tensioner could cause problems. I guess he has just heard this at some point as he has never owned a mini. The mileage is just under 76k miles. Obviously as I have only had the car a since start of July so I can not verify if the mileage is genuine. I have been through all the previous mots online and everything rallied up as it should. There are no rattles and the car has been very well looked after by the previous owner.

MINI William
16th August 2019, 10:49 AM
I would leave it then