PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temperature

Harmchar
10th August 2019, 08:55 PM
Evening MINI gurus, after my recent split thermostat housing and replacement, I decided to download the Torque lite app to read and monitor coolant temps through OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor.
Going round town today coolant was seeing 105 degrees. I personally think that is high. What sort of temps are others seeing if you have gauge fitted or also use OBD2 scanner/adapto?

Really hoping I haven't warped the head or damaged head gasket with overheating for the short period I drove to get home. :argh:

Mike
10th August 2019, 09:26 PM
I’m not certain, but I think slow fan kicks in 105 and fast fan kicks in 112. Common fault of slow fan resistor burning out and slow fan not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
11th August 2019, 09:23 AM
I personally think that 105 is about the average temp. My R53 used to read about that temp and I didn’t have any issues. My F56 and F54 both read higher than that and have done from new. I’d only worry if they started going towards the 120 mark and not coming down.
If you didn’t have the OBD reader plugged in I bet it would only show half way on the temp gauge

MINI William
11th August 2019, 10:09 AM
It’s an R56 Cooper you have isn’t it? If so totally normal, R56’s do run hot

Harmchar
11th August 2019, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the confirmation guys. That's why this forum is great, shared knowledge and experiences is invaluable.
Yes, it the r56 Cooper S. Just had it in my head that it was 95 degrees the thermostat should open and fans kick in to try maintain 95 - 100 ish. All cool !!! Pardon the pun.
Have a great weekend guys.

CiderFex
11th August 2019, 12:53 PM
My R59 JCW averages 82°C. In the 17 months that I’ve owned it I’ve only ever heard than fan running three times !!!
[emoji15]
I’ve still not got around to having the coolant changed to Preston Universal yet which drops the temps even further.
[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twisterboy
11th August 2019, 02:44 PM
105degrees c is about normal for a R56 mine usually sits about that have only seen it higher at about 106 once.

Have you ever thought about a Ultra Guage for the Mini?

Davy

Mon the fish
12th August 2019, 09:44 AM
My R59 JCW averages 82°C. In the 17 months that I’ve owned it I’ve only ever heard than fan running three times !!!
[emoji15]
I’ve still not got around to having the coolant changed to Preston Universal yet which drops the temps even further.
[emoji4]

That's very low - is your thermostat opening correctly?

DigitalLemming
12th August 2019, 09:50 AM
It could be that Pete runs with his air con on all the time, I've noticed my F56 will drop from 100+ to 80ish with the air con turned on.

CiderFex
12th August 2019, 10:11 AM
That's very low - is your thermostat opening correctly?
That’s always been normal for me. The GP runs at exactly the same temp. It did get to 98°C once when I left it running when it was 32°C outside.

It could be that Pete runs with his air con on all the time, I've noticed my F56 will drop from 100+ to 80ish with the air con turned on.
I’ve never compared it with the a/c on and then off Andrew. I’ll try out it the next time I’m out and about in it.
[emoji1360]

Twisterboy
12th August 2019, 11:34 AM
Mine drops to about 87 with air con iirc, but my ac is on all the time.

Davy

Harmchar
12th August 2019, 06:40 PM
So now I have to get my a/c working again to test the theory ��, would be good if it did drop it 10 degrees as a back up if it gets toastie on a "hot run".