PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension Clunk

Snowcol
2nd August 2019, 12:05 AM
Hi Folks - Hope you can help me get to the bottom of my suspension noise.
I have a very obvious clunking from front right when driving over uneven roads. I have changed the inner and outer ball joints and had the bushes renewed on the suspension arm / wishbone where it goes into the chassis. Still the noise is there so I changed the droplinks - the old one fell apart when I put a pry bar on them so they needed done but I still have the clunking.
The car is slightly lowered on coilovers and have checked them - they are in good condition and no play in the top mounts.
I can only think its the anti roll bar bushes but they seemed fine when I was under the car with a pry bar.
The clunking is pretty obvious and on uneven roads surfaces I can almost feel it through the steering. The car tracks straight though and no problem with vagueness in the steering. I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Colin

MINI William
2nd August 2019, 03:36 PM
Have you checked the top mounts?

Eddie_JCW
2nd August 2019, 06:23 PM
Hi Colin, having read your post I'd guess it is linked to the ARB as it seems like the only thing you haven't checked.

Snowcol
3rd August 2019, 10:04 AM
Hi Colin, having read your post I'd guess it is linked to the ARB as it seems like the only thing you haven't checked.

Yep. I have checked everything. The struts are ohlin rollovers that I changed 2 years ago and they are solid. Top mounts all good too. The arb bushes seem ok but I will have a closer look and get a pry bar on there. It's really annoying me cos everything else on the car is in such good nick. 137000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Track night last night and thrashed her again but she never missed a beat!
I guess I will need to get under there again and get a bit more aggressive with the pry bar!

Thanks for your suggestions