PDA

View Full Version : Anyone changed a sidelight bulb on a R56?

Twisterboy
4th July 2019, 05:43 PM
Well I got the bulb warning message again, so found it might have been my passenger side side light was out so popped to Halfords, got replacements. Then tried to change them, basically took the wheel off but guessing due to the age of the car and condition inside of light cluster that the bulb has welded itself to the metal. Tried using grips to remove but still no luck. Funny enough sidelight is now working again!

Davy

M600-RKJ
4th July 2019, 05:59 PM
Just had to change the side lights on my uncles r56. The side light design is awful. If you cant turn it at all. I would buy a replacement bulb holder. Take your bumper off and just RIP the holder out. I tried everything to get my uncles out without breaking but after an hour I gave up the corrosion of the light housing was so bad that the channels the side light tabs are meant to slot into were totally filled. I eventually got it out and thankfully I had a spare bulb holder which I cut the tabs off of I filed the inside of the housing to remove some corrosion and put some silicon grease on the holder before putting it in.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

badwolf340
4th July 2019, 07:17 PM
Never had a problem changing them ,but always thought that it could be problematic

badwolf340
4th July 2019, 07:18 PM
Well I got the bulb warning message again, so found it might have been my passenger side side light was out so popped to Halfords, got replacements. Then tried to change them, basically took the wheel off but guessing due to the age of the car and condition inside of light cluster that the bulb has welded itself to the metal. Tried using grips to remove but still no luck. Funny enough sidelight is now working again!

Davy
did you twist and turn or just pull ?

M600-RKJ
4th July 2019, 07:22 PM
Never had a problem changing them ,but always thought that it could be problematicOnce they get a bit older they a B#%#@rd. The corrosion build up and basically glues them in place. I had the tabs lined up on my uncles and there was absolutely no budging them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Twisterboy
4th July 2019, 07:58 PM
Tried twisting and turning but to no success, even tried a set of pliers on it but no luck. Will maybe have to go with the idea of new light unit and bulb holder.

Davy