PDA

View Full Version : Hi All! New Cooper S

Jaywaj
17th June 2019, 04:21 PM
Hi NMS Members!

I hope you don't mind another lousy Englishman joining the forums, but having searched around the web this seemed like the most active, UK-focused forum out there for the new Mini.

I am taking delivery of a new Mini Cooper S Sport this week, and I can't wait. This will only be my second car (only passed my test in 2017) having had a diesel '14 plate fiesta previously. Really looking forward to the improved performance and comfort of the Mini! I've put a pic from the Mini configurator below to show the spec. Gone for chili red for sentimental reasons as my dad had a 1960's mini in red with the white bonnet stripes for his first car.

I'm already planning on doing a road trip up to the highlands at some point later in the summer to experience what the car can do on some brilliant roads. I'll hopefully be posting plenty of pics of the Mini in the best scenery in the UK.

While I'm here, has anyone got any tips for a new Mini novice? I'm also trying to decide whether to go for the paint and interior protection offered by the dealer or buy a kit and do it myself, does anyone have any experience with DIY ceramic coatings?

Looking forward to some good banter in the forums.

cuddles
17th June 2019, 04:58 PM
Welcome to NMS xx

DigitalLemming
17th June 2019, 05:02 PM
Welcome to NMS!

As far as the paint protection stuff goes I can’t remember how much MINI charge for it, but it might be worth pricing up a professional detailer local to you and see what they say.

I’ve ceramic coated my wheels and it’s well worth it for those, I previously used a non ceramic wheel sealant and it just doesn’t last the same.

I’ve never tried it on the bodywork as prep would be the key to getting it right there and I don’t have a garage to keep it dry either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
17th June 2019, 05:32 PM
:welcome:

MINI William
17th June 2019, 06:03 PM
Welcome to NMS

I would always stay clear if dealer applied protections as it usually end up with more problems than it solves mainly swirls. You would be better to get a price from a professional detailer and have the car prepped properly.

Great looking F56 and looking forward to seeing some pics of it when you get it.

We’re heading down south of the border for Mega MINI Meet

EcosseGP
17th June 2019, 07:04 PM
Welcome along and you’ll be at home here even staying south of the border. You’ll love the chilli red ... it’s the fastest colour in the F56 lol [emoji23]

Like the others I’ve not had anything ceramic coated. I have tried it on a panel but found it to make the panel slightly duller and a good wax did a great job and gave enough protection anyway.

Can see why folk use it in the wheels ...

If you’re worried about spilling stuff in the car what about a car seat cover and some protective film for the mats ... or invoke the “no eating in the car” rule lol [emoji23]

You’ll be welcome at MMM if you fancy a day out and want to meet some of the gang from here ...

Jaywaj
17th June 2019, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :) I will certainly look into the Mini Mega Meet, hopefully my calendar allows a trip to the coast.

I think the reason I'm contemplating a ceramic coating is that as much I enjoy giving the car a thorough wash on a sunny day, it's a motivation that comes only now and again, so the thought of being able to give the car a quick jet wash and the dirt falls off was quite appealing. I could be dreaming of this ease of keeping a clean car though!

CiderFex
18th June 2019, 02:23 AM
Hi and welcome to NMS.
[emoji4]
There’s a few of us sassenachs in NMS and I’m about 10 miles South of Doncaster.
[emoji1303]
I’ve never tried out a ceramic coating but I can highly recommend Collinite 476S wax.
It gives a glorious shine to the paintwork and it does honestly last for months.
Mine has not been waxed for 11 months and still looks more than acceptable after a foam, shampoo, dry and a wipe o’er with some detailing spray.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190618/cd74b1bbfb63b88c81144c187f34e604.jpg

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

Mon the fish
18th June 2019, 06:31 AM
Welcome! I agree with William - I'd be telling the dealer not to touch the paintwork, as the vast majority have no idea how to properly detail a car and end up causing more harm than anything. Most still seem to think an old sponge is acceptable...

Have a look at something like CarPro Reload- a spray sealant that really lasts, without the faff of a ceramic coating

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Twisterboy
18th June 2019, 06:59 AM
Welcome to NMS!

Be good to see you at Mega Mini Meet.

Davy

Jaywaj
18th June 2019, 08:39 PM
I’ve never tried out a ceramic coating but I can highly recommend Collinite 476S wax.
It gives a glorious shine to the paintwork and it does honestly last for months.
Mine has not been waxed for 11 months and still looks more than acceptable after a foam, shampoo, dry and a wipe o’er with some detailing spray.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190618/cd74b1bbfb63b88c81144c187f34e604.jpg

Shiny!

I'm struggling to find a detailer that will do a new car prep and coating for less than the dealer is trying to charge through the nose for. I may just go for a DIY long-term wax option, I'm sure I can get away with a deep clean every 11 months.

CiderFex
18th June 2019, 08:41 PM
Shiny!

I'm struggling to find a detailer that will do a new car prep and coating for less than the dealer is trying to charge through the nose for. I may just go for a DIY long-term wax option, I'm sure I can get away with a deep clean every 11 months.

There must be a detailer near to where you live that has a great reputation and is cheaper than a dealer ?

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

Mon the fish
18th June 2019, 09:11 PM
If a decent detailer is much the same as a dealer I wouldn't be too concerned - they'll do a far better job

M600-RKJ
18th June 2019, 09:54 PM
I've ceramic coated a few cars and the coatings are definitely worth while. They do make the wash process a doddle. I've got gtechnic halo on the wrap on my coupe but that's because if it being satin there are very few ways to protect satin.

However I've also applied gyeon mohs to our Renault zoe and other cars. It was brand new but had been prepared by the dealer for sitting in the show room. So required polishing, just about everywhere. As above prep is key because once you apply the coating what ever the car looked like before the coating is how it is going to look for a year or 2.

The gtechnic coating was far easier to apply than the gyeon but time will tell which is the longer lasting. My coupe and the zoe were done about a week apart.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

M600-RKJ
18th June 2019, 09:58 PM
If you dont feel prepared to do the coatings. And would prefer sticking with traditional waxes then like Pete says collinite. Make some very glossy long lasting waxes. Being polymer based they are harder wearing and survive alot more washes than a traditional wax.

There are also a lot of good spray on protections available now. Gyeon wet coat is a spray on rinse of drying aid but it leaves behind a ceramic like hydrophobic layer. Lasts a few weeks but makes washing much easier and drying much quicker.

Mon the fish
19th June 2019, 08:00 AM
^^^ How do you find applying ceramic coatings at home? Something I've thought about and looked into but not taken any further

M600-RKJ
19th June 2019, 12:42 PM
^^^ How do you find applying ceramic coatings at home? Something I've thought about and looked into but not taken any furtherIt's very time consuming. I always set aside 3 days if I'm.coating. a day of prep. A day to coat and then 24 hours before applying the hydrophobic sealant. And once the cars been coating I always reccomend at least 3 days inside if possible a week. It is amazing but the longer you can leave the car dry the glossier the coating gets.

Applying was a bit daunting to start with but the gyeon is designed to be user friendly. And after the first couple of panels you begin to feel comfortable with it.

M600-RKJ
19th June 2019, 01:00 PM
A few of the cars I've done. Gyeon changed their formula so the m2 and boxster were done with the old recipe and the macan and a1 are with the current recipe. I think the old recipe left a glossier finish especially on gloss colourshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190619/792a4945a13e94fc865d5234f45c53d2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190619/f37351800edcfd73d379a57206065c0c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190619/b7cbe85024a829fc31cd366bc7c5d0bb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190619/efa97efae6ff910d09e30b3c08ec0ed9.jpg

Jaywaj
27th June 2019, 02:23 PM
Picked up the car last week!

Really pleased with the car so far. Really really excellent to drive. Got some good country drives planned over the next couple of months so should get some better pictures up soon :cool:
Even planning on getting up to the Highlands in August.

Have to say, the dealer experience from Mini has been absolutely superb.

JOHN MILNE
27th June 2019, 03:54 PM
:welcome::thumbs up: nice looking car

Mon the fish
27th June 2019, 04:27 PM
Nice. Give me a shout if you want some hints on decent Highlands roads

MINI William
27th June 2019, 07:12 PM
Looks great

Crombers
4th July 2019, 08:49 AM