PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged Cooper S

macscorcher
15th June 2019, 09:44 AM
Hello all! Think it’s time I scratched the itch. Looking for a Supercharged Cooper S. Not too fussy on colour & spec so happy to consider anything in good condition.

Thanks

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badwolf340
15th June 2019, 08:43 PM
Better to go for a later R53 ,With LSD and slightly better bhp , I’m sure one of our R53 gurus will be along to explain the differences

Crombers
16th June 2019, 06:44 AM
R53 upgrade occurred June 2004, I'd be looking at suitable cars post this date :thumbs up:

macscorcher
16th June 2019, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the advice ! Sounds like the facelift model is an idea. Do all S’s after that date have LSDs ?

Thanks

Bob

badwolf340
16th June 2019, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the advice ! Sounds like the facelift model is an idea. Do all S’s after that date have LSDs ?

Thanks

Bob

I think so

EcosseGP
16th June 2019, 08:26 PM
I think it’s January 2005 before the R53 got the LSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
17th June 2019, 09:26 AM
^^^ yes, Jan 05 and on build dates for the LSD. You can tell by the gearbox code if the LSD is fitted or not.

The facelift (approx Aug 04 and on) is more desirable IMO but with cars this age I'd buy mostly on condition - a well-maintained, no-issues pre-facelift might be the best available.

They're hardy little cars so there's still loads about, so you can afford to be choosy

EcosseGP
17th June 2019, 03:48 PM
If it helps ...

TBKA - Pre-facelift gearbox
TBKE - Facelift gearbox
TBKL - Facelift gearbox with LSD

macscorcher
17th June 2019, 11:02 PM
Thankyou for all the info. Definitely agree better to buy on condition rather than spec or age etc

Seen a few so far some with quite high mileages. Anything to be wary of at these types of mileage 150k etc ? Or are these best avoided ?

Thankyou for the gearbox codes, silly question how can I check the code ?

Thanks again to all.

Mon the fish
18th June 2019, 06:27 AM
They take big mileage fine, with the usual caveats of rust etc although they don't seem to be as bad as other cars can be.

Don't believe the nonsense started with the Wheeler Dealers episode of 'the big 100k service'- there's no such thing; although the supercharger will need serviced at some point beyond say 80k miles if it's to last. It's liable to fail at anything up to 150k if it hasn't been serviced

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk