PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys

D17KDB
12th May 2019, 06:01 PM
Hey. Thanks for the add.

I currently do not have a mini, but I'm looking to buy one in the near future to use as a daily driver / track car.

Here for some advice on what the best engine and yours are. It will be a cooper S I'm looking for. Plus be part of the club when I can.

Cheers

JOHN MILNE
12th May 2019, 06:12 PM
:welcome::thumbs up:

Spaceman
12th May 2019, 06:48 PM
Hi welcome

Good luck finding one there lots of fun. What year are you leaving looking at?

badwolf340
12th May 2019, 07:02 PM
:welcome:Are you looking for Supercharged (R53) or Turbo (R56/F56) ?

MINI William
12th May 2019, 07:17 PM
Welcome to NMS. What are you looking for R53 (Supercharged) or R56 or F56 (Turbo)

D17KDB
12th May 2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome folks.
From the little research I have done I was thinking a 2010/2011 onwards N18 engined mini. The turbo one. Is seams to be the strongest and most reliable.
Unless I'm wrong. That's what I'm here to find out.

stoney
12th May 2019, 09:28 PM
You are correct the N18 is the one to go for if its a turbo build your looking for but if your looking for a Cheap car that can be fairly reliable but will most likely need more tlc to be track ready then go for a R53

I run i track R53 as that what suited my budget. And i love the feel of the R53 you don't necessarily need to go as far as I have a pulley and i/c and coilvers and surpoting mods and it will be good fun

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

D17KDB
12th May 2019, 10:01 PM
With it being a daily driver as well. I was more looking at the newer ones due to them having cruise control, Bluetooth and air con. I also thought the N18 turbo engine would be more easily tuned?
I'm going to be selling my 400bhp civic. It is a track/ weekend car. But I've owned the car nearly 10 years now so think it's time to move on.
I also have a wxr Impreza and we have a i30N. I'm not looking to build a mini as extreme as my civic.

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct the N18 is the one to go for if its a turbo build your looking for but if your looking for a Cheap car that can be fairly reliable but will most likely need more tlc to be track ready then go for a R53

I run i track R53 as that what suited my budget. And i love the feel of the R53 you don't necessarily need to go as far as I have a pulley and i/c and coilvers and surpoting mods and it will be good fun

Is there a year of R53 that is the best engine wise or most reliable?

Twisterboy
13th May 2019, 07:11 AM
Welcome to NMS.

Davy

stoney
13th May 2019, 07:52 AM
With it being a daily driver as well. I was more looking at the newer ones due to them having cruise control, Bluetooth and air con. I also thought the N18 turbo engine would be more easily tuned?
I'm going to be selling my 400bhp civic. It is a track/ weekend car. But I've owned the car nearly 10 years now so think it's time to move on.
I also have a wxr Impreza and we have a i30N. I'm not looking to build a mini as extreme as my civic.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a year of R53 that is the best engine wise or most reliable? best to go for the facelift after 54 plate as they have a few more bits than the pre face lift.

Alto the engine is the same just a few tweeks to the ecu and charger( teflon coating to the blades) but nothing major

D17KDB
13th May 2019, 11:46 AM
Thanks.
So for supercharged after 54 plate, but for turbo N18 engine on wards?
Cheers for the help

Mon the fish
13th May 2019, 01:52 PM
Worth bearing in mind if you want to go daft with your track project, the R53 engine can make 400bhp with a turbo replacing the supercharger - but on stock internals.

No way the newer engines will make that sort of power. On the flipside, they make more power for less money than an R53.

Usual caveat - drive both and see what you prefer. If the R53 floats your boat, then as Stoney has said above 54 plate and on is your best bet

D17KDB
13th May 2019, 04:29 PM
I'm going to try and not go mad on this. Just basic track stuff really. I'm spending no where near what I did on the civic.
Cheers for the advice guys. It's much appreciated.

Mon the fish
13th May 2019, 04:49 PM
I'd definitely go for suspension first then before power, both because the stock suspension isn't brilliant and also because all the balljoints etc in a used car will be tired by now - will really make a difference.

Then up the power IMO

D17KDB
13th May 2019, 06:27 PM
I'd definitely go for suspension first then before power, both because the stock suspension isn't brilliant and also because all the balljoints etc in a used car will be tired by now - will really make a difference.

Then up the power IMO

Cheers.
I normally go for brakes, handling and then power.
Like with my Subaru. I've got front and rear arb's with drop links anti lift kit and springs ready to go on.

Spaceman
13th May 2019, 07:44 PM
Let’s see the civic and scooby then man

Harmchar
13th May 2019, 08:25 PM
I thought the R56 moved to N18 engine in 2010 for a Cooper S, then the JCW R56 was 2012 change to N18.
Please correct if wrong.

D17KDB
13th May 2019, 08:58 PM
Let’s see the civic and scooby then man

I will try and post them in the other cars section.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the R56 moved to N18 engine in 2010 for a Cooper S, then the JCW R56 was 2012 change to N18.
Please correct if wrong.
From my research is was late 2010 they changed to the N18 engine. But can never be to sure with Google.