PDA

View Full Version : Turbo fart

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 05:36 PM
Does anyone experience a kind of turbo burp when accelerating quickly? It only happens when I accelerate quickly and I will get like a big burp out the exhaust, which causes the car to stop gaining any more power unless I ease off.

I think it's down to there being no waste gate and it's all the boost building up in the exhaust.

This happens on a constant basis when accelerating hard, probably more noticeable with the pro exhaust. I find it a real pain, just wondering if this can be fixed or not.

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 06:06 PM
Never had that.

I have had the car make a DSG style noise when changing gear, particularly when the car is being driven really hard, but never a noise during in-gear acceleration.

Have you tried removing the JB4 to see if it still does it?It's nothing like the auto gear change noise. It's a really loud burp noise and can't gain any more power until it's cleared.

I've not got the jb4 on as it's due a service shortly. I will likely get them to check it when it goes in.

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 08:16 PM
Strange, it must be something up with mine then. Only thing I can think of is either exhaust leak, spark plug or an issue with the throttle body.

I'll just get it checked when it goes in for a service. I can make it do it consistently if I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear and accelerate right up to about 4k rpm.

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 09:44 PM
So I've just done some research and it looks like it could be a clogged exhaust/catalytic converter...

It has very similar sounds and the whole power loss issue.

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 10:13 PM
I only ever ran it on map 1. But I've not had it on the car since last summer

goggs
23rd March 2019, 10:13 PM
I have an 8 gear dsg and it farts fairly loud on change up under hard acceleration with no loss of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 10:16 PM
I have an 8 gear dsg and it farts on change up under hard acceleration with no loss of power

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah it's definitely not a cool sound like that lol.

When I get to 4,000-4,500 rpm it feels like it's redlining because it won't go any more than that and makes a loud noise as if you've hit the max.

It doesn't happen all the time, if I slowly accelerate it's fine.

goggs
23rd March 2019, 10:19 PM
I’ll try and give my car a blast tomorrow to see if I feel any loss of acceleration at 4-4.5k and listen out for the noise [emoji6]

Ehjack
23rd March 2019, 10:21 PM
Haha, I just think it's a build of crap in the exhaust. I have my pro exhaust open 24/7 and always drive in sport mode so maybe all the pops and bangs have caused fuel deposits to build...

Or maybe all the bangs has completely destroyed the cat, either way it needs to get checked [emoji85]

goggs
23rd March 2019, 10:29 PM
I sadly don’t have the pro exhaust but drive in s mode as often as I can [emoji6]

M600-RKJ
24th March 2019, 12:18 AM
I had a similar issue with my first r56 S but it turned out to be a fouled spark plug was causing knock at peak boost

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ehjack
24th March 2019, 09:04 AM
That sounds like a possibility. How did you diagnose that the spark plug was the cause?

M600-RKJ
24th March 2019, 10:41 AM
That sounds like a possibility. How did you diagnose that the spark plug was the cause?Plugged in the snap on and it was registering knock. So that narrows it down to bad fuel, bad plug, bad coil pack

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk