PDA

View Full Version : speaker decisions..

aimee_s
26th October 2004, 04:45 AM
so im getting new speakers on monday..new infinity kappa ones in the back (replacing original speakers) and either alpine or genesis speakers to replace front ones......any opinions or suggestions as to which to go for in the front? both pretty much the same price

KINGHORN
26th October 2004, 05:24 AM
infinity 930i's for the back are highly recomended from me, personaly for the front i would fo focal

Burple
26th October 2004, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by KINGHORN

infinity 930i's for the back are highly recomended from me, personaly for the front i would fo focal

Ditto for the rears! Hellfrauds (of all places!) had a deal on a while back - they were only £49.99!!!! :D:D:D
fantastic speakers!
Not done the front ones yet, but was thinking about focal or matching Infinitys for the front...
:D

KINGHORN
26th October 2004, 08:06 PM
still had them last week for 50 bucks in aberdeen

aimee_s
27th October 2004, 03:52 AM
checkpoint are doing mine...getting the new infinity kappa ones at half price :D
i actually dont know why its not infinity all round....he just suggested alpine or genesis and i agreed....im not so clued up on all the speaker stuff!

KINGHORN
27th October 2004, 04:44 AM
yay, so u r gettin bumped then, i wouldnt buy from checkpoint anymore there mark up is unbelievable

Duncan Stewart
27th October 2004, 05:04 PM
Is it easy to change your speakers yourself? I looking at a new stereo but it is 50W per channel (26 rms) and I'm told my Mini boost speakers are only rated to 15W.

MartinSullivan
27th October 2004, 05:26 PM
Duncan - here are a couple of guides - one for changing the front speakers and one for the rears.

Changing Front Speakers (http://www.newministuff.co.uk/Changing_the_front_speakers.htm)

Changing Rear Speakers (http://www.newministuff.co.uk/rear_speakers_diy.htm)

Duncan Stewart
27th October 2004, 06:24 PM
I don't like the look of that - I could see myself doing a chewing the fat "angry man" impersonation!
Would the standard speakers be OK or would I "blow" them?

Burple
27th October 2004, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Is it easy to change your speakers yourself? I looking at a new stereo but it is 50W per channel (26 rms) and I'm told my Mini boost speakers are only rated to 15W.

Only done the rear ones, and yes, they're simple. you don't even have to take out the back panels as most guides suggest, so long as you don't have HUGE hands!! ;)

My own stereo is 4x50W too, and before I replaced the rears, all were standard! Believe me that can cope well enough up to a certain volume, but by that time you'll be shouting in the car to any passengers! You'll notice a HUGE difference in sound quality and volume if you just change the HU first! :D

aimee_s
27th October 2004, 07:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by KINGHORN

yay, so u r gettin bumped then, i wouldnt buy from checkpoint anymore there mark up is unbelievable

super, thanx for that!
Id rather pay a bit extra and get it done properly, than attempt to do it myself or get someone to do it and it gets messed up!

Duncan Stewart
27th October 2004, 08:17 PM
Cheers LnL, I think my credit card is about to be hurt!
Aimee - what head unit have you fitted?

aimee_s
27th October 2004, 10:47 PM
ive a sony HU...the CDXF7700-i know most people dont rate sony for HU's but it made SUCH a difference compared to the standard mini unit. its rated 4x52W i think, so even though its not quite that since they are over generous with their ratings, its still darn good! HU was the first thing i did to my mini, and def worth every penny!

mgemie
28th October 2004, 10:36 AM
i've just bought myself a pair of the infinity 930is after popping into halfords this afternoon....just gotta fit them now lol