PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet scoop wrapping

goggs
7th February 2019, 09:36 PM
Looking at wrapping a spare bonnet vent, anyone done this ? Any tips ?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehjack
7th February 2019, 09:37 PM
Looking at wrapping a spare bonnet vent, anyone done this ? Any tips ?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI tried this last weekend and ended up snapping a clip trying to take it off [emoji23] I gave up and decided not to bother haha.

It's incredibly difficult to remove without snapping!

goggs
7th February 2019, 09:39 PM
Oh damn [emoji3525]

Ehjack
7th February 2019, 09:44 PM
Oh damn [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt could have just been my luck though. If you do attempt to remove it, be very very patient and slowly work the clips and you'll be fine.

MINI William
7th February 2019, 09:48 PM
The scoops are easy to remove. I’ve done loads, just take your time

goggs
7th February 2019, 09:55 PM
Cheers gents, i bought a vent to have painted gloss black to go with the black trim but I’ve been advised around £90 to paint !

is it worth waiting for warmer weather to remove the scoop or just have patience?

Ehjack
7th February 2019, 10:03 PM
I think just patience and take your time and it will be fine. Just don't pull too hard. I was pretty careful and then next minute a clip shot up in the air [emoji23]

goggs
7th February 2019, 10:07 PM
I think just patience and take your time and it will be fine. Just don't pull too hard. I was pretty careful and then next minute a clip shot up in the air [emoji23]

Thanks Ehjack, I did break a couple of lungs removing the chrome rad grill on removal, wasn’t a great sound as it pinged across the drive [emoji50]
I’m still waiting in the vinyl to arrive so likely not be until next weekend now and I’m in being inked in the Saturday [emoji38]

goggs
23rd February 2019, 09:30 PM
Gave the wrapping a go today, 3 attempts later and the last bit of vinyl and I am reasonably happy with the end result, by no means a professional finish.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/02af14cab781821a678675fb3a3a097c.jpg

Ehjack
23rd February 2019, 09:34 PM
Gave the wrapping a go today, 3 attempts later and the last bit of vinyl and I am reasonably happy with the end result, by no means a professional finish.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/02af14cab781821a678675fb3a3a097c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLooks great! Let me know how you get on removing the scoop. I might have another go removing mine. I wonder if you can buy the clips, because if I snap 1 more I don't think it would go back on [emoji85]

goggs
23rd February 2019, 09:36 PM
The scoop I bought came with new clips and a new screw in a bag, there were clips already on the scoop so got a couple of spares unless it all goes terribly wrong on removal of the scoop [emoji2960]

Ehjack
23rd February 2019, 09:39 PM
The scoop I bought came with new clips and a new screw in a bag, there were clips already on the scoop so got a couple of spares unless it all goes terribly wrong on removal of the scoop [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOh that's good then. I'll see if I can pick up a bunch off eBay. I think it's mainly the bit of plastic which holds the rivet. It's so thin, it can easily snap [emoji23]

goggs
24th February 2019, 11:27 AM
Fitted this morning, 10 minute job, only broke one clip [emoji1303] and skint one knuckle [emoji849]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190224/14c07b5f071c94a79caf685d950291cc.jpg

badwolf340
24th February 2019, 02:03 PM
Looking :cool:

stoney
24th February 2019, 02:30 PM
Looking good

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

goggs
24th February 2019, 03:02 PM
Looking :cool:
Thank you sir, gives me time to decide if I’ll stick with it black[emoji6]

Looking good

Thanks very much, just need the black badges to show up now to complete the look

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ehjack
24th February 2019, 05:21 PM
Very nice!! Looks great. I attempted it myself today and I managed to get it off with no more clips breaking. But I failed with wrapping. It's so hard and it bubbled.

Here's what it looks like. But I decided to remove it because it looked awful and I ran out of wrap lol. May just buy a black one...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190224/1c5de8ed1bd05715de3a6284f2814f2c.jpg

goggs
24th February 2019, 05:35 PM
Always love red and black colour schemes, work very well together [emoji1303]

Did you wrap it in a single sheet Ehjack ?

I seen a few chaps online do it in 2 pieces !

I managed it in one but it’s not perfect but let’s me get used to it, I didn’t find bubbles a problem, biggest issue was stretching the vinyl for the inner section !

I may get it painted black tbh but I may have another go at wrapping it in a few months
I see you can get aftermarket painted ones on eBay for under £100

I see you’ve gone down the beltline tape route, again something I’m considering [emoji16]

Ehjack
24th February 2019, 05:49 PM
Yeah I did it with one sheet, but like you said stretching was the issue. I also cut it too short so I had to patch it. It just looked a mess, especially when I saw it in the daylight!

Yeah I may go that route myself or find a salvage car and take that... I do have some plasti dip which I did consider but I don't want a Matt finish.

Yeah the beltline was a PITA, but not as bad as the hood scoop haha. You just need to take your time and be careful when cutting the ends, the hardest part is when going round bends, but the hairdryer helps a lot.

goggs
24th February 2019, 06:11 PM
Yeah I went with the single sheet as well, I reckon I could do it better if I do it again, I may still get it painted but we’ll see

Ah ok screw beltline is a pain in the rear as well [emoji849]

Have you ever removed the exhaust trims? Rubber mallet to encourage them of come off perhaps ?

Ehjack
24th February 2019, 06:20 PM
Yeah I have a sheet of carbon fiber I may try again.

It's not that bad for the beltline because it's a roll already sized to fit. You just need time to get it round the bends and take care when cutting the ends.

Which exhaust have you got? I've got the pro exhaust, so mine just unbolt with an hex key and they slide off.

goggs
24th February 2019, 06:25 PM
Ah ok, I may invest in a roll of beltline

I’ve got the standard JCW exhaust, not the pro sadly, really wanted one but was advised because I’ve a newer JCW tested under more stringent emissions test that if I fit the pro exhaust my warranty would be void if anything went wrong in the car ! I have a set of pro tips to fit to the exhaust if I can get the originals removed

Ehjack
24th February 2019, 06:32 PM
That's a shame, hopefully they release a newer version of the pro exhaust for the vehicles with PPF. I don't think I could own a mini without it now...

I found this from another forum about the exhaust tip removal from a standard JCW:

It is held by pressure clips/brackets on the inside of the Tip that basically pushes against the inner pipe coming out of the muffler.*Removal Tip (the way I did it) :*Use a flat piece of wood and put it against the back of the tip. Hammer the wood pushing the tip towards the end of the car.*After the Tip starts moving you can use your hands and pull it out.*To re install is just the opposite, but you do not need a hammer. Just push it back with moderate force and it should lock in place.*

goggs
24th February 2019, 06:35 PM
Yeah I was a bit gutted I couldn’t fit one as I’d heard one on another car in the showroom at the time [emoji7]

Ah nice one on the exhaust tip removal, I’ll try to get to that next weekend if I get a chance