PDA

View Full Version : Wireless charger

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 02:18 PM
Anyone retro fitted one in there mini. Came across this kit on Instagram, gunna have a look to see if there any cheaper kits although the quality of that one seems fairly decent.

I was thinking under the handbrake on the gen 2 would be a perfect place with a non slip mat should hold the phone securely and if you do get any notifications it wont catch your eye being doing between the seats.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/6793515983626b84a3da6766bab4da88.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

CiderFex
4th February 2019, 02:24 PM
Mine gets charged up via the Media Cable because I always plug it in to use MINI Connected.
The only issue that I can think of Mark is how would you stop your phone sliding on top of the charging pad ?

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 04:15 PM
Mine gets charged up via the Media Cable because I always plug it in to use MINI Connected.
The only issue that I can think of Mark is how would you stop your phone sliding on top of the charging pad ?

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.That kit comes with a rubberised mat. But if I do end up making my own solution I would cut a piece of mating just bigger than the phone that sat neatly in the little curved area under the handbrake issue with a cable is my phone doesnt fit in the cupholders and I dont really like my phone being easily accessible. I find it too much of a distraction especially if you have a few notifications and you have the little LED flashing all the colours of the rainbow

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 04:18 PM
Oh sorry maybe I didnt really explain my plan I would be attaching the charging coils to the underside of the handbrake recess so from above you would never know

CiderFex
4th February 2019, 06:48 PM
Oh sorry maybe I didnt really explain my plan I would be attaching the charging coils to the underside of the handbrake recess so from above you would never know

Ahhh, I see.
[emoji1303]
I hope it works out for you Mark.
[emoji4]
I’m O.K. when driving ‘cos mine automatically turns off notifications when it connects via Bluetooth. I can still take and make calls though via the button on the steering wheel.

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 07:31 PM
Ahhh, I see.
[emoji1303]
I hope it works out for you Mark.
[emoji4]
I’m O.K. when driving ‘cos mine automatically turns off notifications when it connects via Bluetooth. I can still take and make calls though via the button on the steering wheel.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.I wonder if I can enable that in my settings. I'll need to look into that.

CiderFex
4th February 2019, 07:32 PM
I wonder if I can enable that in my settings. I'll need to look into that.

It’s automatic on an iPhone.
I can’t see why it wouldn’t be available on other phones though.

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 07:33 PM
It’s automatic on an iPhone.
I can’t see why it wouldn’t be available on other phones though.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.There is an android drive app but I've never opened it.

CiderFex
4th February 2019, 07:34 PM
There is an android drive app but I've never opened it.

That might be what you need.
[emoji1303]

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 07:41 PM
So for mini connected does you phone have to be plugged in to the USB?

So how does the app work out of the car does it just save the last information the car had stored

EcosseGP
4th February 2019, 07:46 PM
Might be ok on yours Mark I’ve got a wireless charger built into the arm rest in the Clubby. I like it for a top up charge but I find if you leave it on for any length of time it gets very hot for some reason.
I do tend to leave the arm rest up whilst it charges just to try and keep it cool.

I have a wireless charger in the house which is excellent and the phone stays cool during the full charge.

CiderFex
4th February 2019, 07:49 PM
So for mini connected does you phone have to be plugged in to the USB?

So how does the app work out of the car does it just save the last information the car had stored

To use the apps on MINI Connected it does need to be cabled up.

CiderFex
4th February 2019, 07:52 PM
You’d need to check if the “signal” would be strong enough to pass through the plastic and reach your phone to actually charge it up Mark.
Some wireless chargers have a very weak signal and will only work through certain phone cases so I’m doubtful it’ll get through the bog standard plastic of a MINI centre console.

EcosseGP
4th February 2019, 08:01 PM
You could always totally cut away the inner part of the console and then put in your wireless charger. Mount it from underneath and just have it like the original one slightly recessed under the handbrake.

goggs
4th February 2019, 08:20 PM
I fitted a wireless charging unit to a mk2 TT I had, it sat underneath a rubber mat in behind the handbrake and charged through the rubber mat and phone case [emoji1303]
Was hooked up to a USB port on a cig lighter adaptor fitted behind the centre console trim where I’d spliced in a female cig socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M600-RKJ
4th February 2019, 08:44 PM
I fitted a wireless charging unit to a mk2 TT I had, it sat underneath a rubber mat in behind the handbrake and charged through the rubber mat and phone case [emoji1303]
Was hooked up to a USB port on a cig lighter adaptor fitted behind the centre console trim where I’d spliced in a female cig socket

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's pretty much what I plan on doing. As long as you buy a decent quality charger I've seen some that will even work though a desk so interior plastics shouldnt be an issue.

Kettlepot
4th February 2019, 08:46 PM
My iPhone has sometimes struggled to keep charging when I had the case on it.
It at have been a thick dense case or a faulty bell in charger, I have no idea but I just reverted back to the old fashioned method of a cable.

I would double check distances and thicknesses before you go the whole hg and wire it in. It may be worth getting a donor console to “modify” if required or at least give you a flat surface