20th November 2018, 06:56 PM
http://www.motoringfile.com/2018/11/20/all-new-jcw-gp-2020/

goggs
20th November 2018, 07:39 PM
Oh I look forward to hearing more about this machine [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINI William
20th November 2018, 07:43 PM
Good that MINI have officially said that it’s coming. But a typical Motoringfile artical based on nothing.

DigitalLemming
20th November 2018, 07:52 PM
As usual lots of speculation and rumours on what the car will end up being.

But great that it’s finally been made official, didn’t doubt they’d do one, the question now is will it live up to expectations.

EcosseGP
20th November 2018, 10:16 PM
We knew it was coming I think ... it was just in what guise. Oh well gives me a chance to starting thinking about if I need one or not lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CiderFex
21st November 2018, 03:58 AM
I’ll not be shocked if it is an auto.
American sales of manuals has dropped through the floor and AUDI has said that’s its last manual shift cars for sale will end with the 2019 models. Others will undoubtedly follow.
More and more countries are ditching them as people are becoming more “lazy” when it comes to the vastly complicated process of pressing a clutch to change gear.
They accounted for only 6.8% of sales in 2012 but that is expected to be as low as 3.5% by the end of this year. What with China also not selling many manuals I can see that MINI will pander to the biggest markets to get they sales they so desire.
The GP seems to have moved from the original idea of an L.E. track styley car built and designed with passion and emotion to just a huge marketing exercise to make the most amount of profit.
It’ll sell well, I’ve no doubts, and I for one will not be surprised if the GP4 doesn’t not appear eventually as a “press and go” fully electric beasty.
Ultimately there’s no point in me even thinking about one until at least 2027 when they have dropped in price down to the £18-20K bracket.
[emoji23]
May be I could treat myself to one for my 60th...

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

Twisterboy
21st November 2018, 08:08 AM
If it looks like this and not watered down then they can take my money.

Davy

CiderFex
21st November 2018, 08:18 AM
If it looks like this and not watered down then they can take my money.

Davy

There’s no way the finished article will look like that.
I’d guess that it’ll be halfway between the concept and a bog standard F56.

Mon the fish
21st November 2018, 10:22 AM
The GP seems to have moved from the original idea of an L.E. track styley car built and designed with passion and emotion to just a huge marketing exercise to make the most amount of profit.

Totally agree - and I would argue that this has already happened to JCW itself, and ///M - makes me a bit sad, but that's the way of the world and I can't change it :sad:

maxibaby01
21st November 2018, 12:09 PM
The thing about auto-boxes is that they’re supposed to be lower on emissions and that’s why more and more car manufacturers are resorting to them.
So it’s only ever gonna go that way I suppose.
Case in point, my Audi went down a roadfund tax bracket because I chose an auto over the manual, because of lower emissions.
Did the article also say that production may be 3000, as opposed to the 2000 in the GP and GP2? That kinda smacks of profiteering.
I’d not think that China was their target market, so perhaps a manual is more likely?
Hmmm...

CiderFex
21st November 2018, 02:23 PM
It just makes you wonder why they don’t proof read stuff before publishing it.
The figure of 3000 could easily be 2000 as with the previous two GP models.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/654b9bd2127a91de6e18138cc0c1eb2e.jpg

badwolf340
21st November 2018, 07:01 PM
Premium options that’s what we need on the GP 3 :hand:

Mon the fish
22nd November 2018, 11:15 AM
A far cry from the lightweight ethos of the GP1 (no Xenons, no climate, no glovebox) if they're including 'premium' options... (incidentally that must be the most overused word to describe products the last few years - it used to be 'multimedia', now everything is 'premium')

I get that you might want all that on a JCW, but the whole point of a GP is to be a bit hardcore, a bit uncompromising IMO

M600-RKJ
22nd November 2018, 01:32 PM
I can't see how they would feel the need to make it a manual they have never had an issue shifting GPs. So they know there is still an enthusiast market. If you are in the market for a fast auto hatch I'd be very surprised if mini was anyones go to for that. Much more likely you are looking into a merc or vag product especially if its around the 40k mark. Someone shopping for an S3, golf R, a35 is not going to be the same person looking for a seat mini with reduced sound deadening. Ford have proven with the Rs people will buy a fast manual

MINI William
22nd November 2018, 01:34 PM
The GP shouldn’t have fat arse Recaros but the previous 2 cars have and also had heated should be binned. The whole ethos of the GP is one thing but what they end up building is another. They do so well with lightweight, and performance o orientationed parts and then add this rubbish. It’s one big contradiction

CiderFex
22nd November 2018, 02:23 PM
They’ll never please everyone no matter what they do.
I never understood why they didn’t put a rear wiper on a GP1 to save just 7lbs in weight, by not having a wiper motor installed, but then slapped 70kg of Recaros in them !!!
[emoji15]

Mon the fish
22nd November 2018, 04:04 PM
They’ll never please everyone no matter what they do.
I never understood why they didn’t put a rear wiper on a GP1 to save just 7lbs in weight, by not having a wiper motor installed, but then slapped 70kg of Recaros in them !!!
[emoji15]

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.Aye, valid point! I never understood the silver bits in the rear bumper either, didn't add any aero benefit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
22nd November 2018, 06:36 PM
Like everyone has pointed out they never really go down the full “race” route for any of these things. They’d sell a full stripped out MINI race GP3 in no time I think but we all know that’ll never happen. No air con, no electric windows, no back seats, minimal sound deadening, no stereo and carpets/trim/etc would be a far better route to go down IMO if you’re going to do it do it right.

badwolf340
22nd November 2018, 07:02 PM
Like everyone has pointed out they never really go down the full “race” route for any of these things. They’d sell a full stripped out MINI race GP3 in no time I think but we all know that’ll never happen. No air con, no electric windows, no back seats, minimal sound deadening, no stereo and carpets/trim/etc would be a far better route to go down IMO if you’re going to do it do it right.

And that’s what we want R26R ish

CiderFex
22nd November 2018, 07:08 PM
And that’s what we want R26R ish

Yeah, I think that they should go a bit more “hardcore track car” style that what they actually do.
I believe MINI build up the “track car” image more by marketing and hype than by actually designing a car that suits the advertising that they use to sell the cars.

Crombers
22nd November 2018, 08:04 PM
Ultimately there’s no point in me even thinking about one until at least 2027 when they have dropped in price down to the £18-20K bracket.
[emoji23]
May be I could treat myself to one for my 60th...

Jings ....... I've given up trying to save up for the R53 GP :rolleyes::lol:

CiderFex
23rd November 2018, 02:27 AM
[emoji23]

maxibaby01
24th November 2018, 10:13 AM
It just makes you wonder why they don’t proof read stuff before publishing it.
The figure of 3000 could easily be 2000 as with the previous two GP models.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/654b9bd2127a91de6e18138cc0c1eb2e.jpg

That was my point earlier, Pete.
Wonder whether they’re really looking to make 3000 because they wanna make more money, as they’re hyping this one up more than the previous ones imo?
Mebbe it is a typo, but if they’re putting ‘premium’ options into the car, the expectation is to sell it to a wider audience with more of the frills that people now expect. [emoji15]
It’s not a car for me, whether I could afford one, or not...