PDA

View Full Version : Water in lights

Craig
3rd November 2018, 04:17 PM
My spot lamps and my LED daytime/side lights all have water/condensation in them. The car is outside of its warranty with BMW\MINI as it’s just over 4 years old, the previous owner has just used this car and not really cared for it at all (various issues). Has anyone had any joy in fixing these issues or have they had to replace them ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twisterboy
3rd November 2018, 04:50 PM
Would be interested in this as well, as well as condisation I have what looks like bird poo in them as well.

Davy

Craig
3rd November 2018, 04:56 PM
Yeah I think it’s mould tbh that’s in mine too. Obviously been doing it for some time and the previous owner didn’t care

goggs
3rd November 2018, 05:06 PM
Not sure about the mini but on the TT they would condensate badly if the caps covering bulb holes etc were not properly seated in place

MINI William
3rd November 2018, 05:40 PM
All my gen 2 cars had condensation in the lights. I was informed that this was due to the lights not being a sealed unit.

Craig
3rd November 2018, 05:43 PM
All my gen 2 cars had condensation in the lights. I was informed that this was due to the lights not being a sealed unit.

So are they saying they are supposed to look like that ? If so that’s really poor. The LED DRL’s ain’t cheap as you know and they look terrible

MINI William
4th November 2018, 10:04 AM
Just that as they aren’t a sealed unit that moisture can get in.

Twisterboy
4th November 2018, 11:02 AM
Yeah I think it’s mould tbh that’s in mine too. Obviously been doing it for some time and the previous owner didn’t care

That’s going to be a fun job to do to clean the mound, need to get a new fog light bulb for the right side so prob kill two birds with one stone.

Davy

Craig
4th November 2018, 01:15 PM
Well decision made, no point wasting hundreds of pounds on new lights if they are going to go exactly the same way. Seems bonkers they wouldn’t have them sealed as with the LED there is next to no heat to dry them out.

goggs
4th November 2018, 09:21 PM
Stick a moisture absorber in the headlight overnight and see if that pulls out the moisture

Twisterboy
5th November 2018, 08:09 AM
If you have any of these wee silca bags you get with shoes, might be worth a punt overnight.

Davy