PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for a Diesel mini

Minivanman
8th October 2018, 04:29 PM
I currently own two classic minis and considering upgrading my current daily (Suzuki Swift) to that of a Mini Diesel, what the dangers that I should be looking out for, and what's your opinions on the current models?

MINI William
8th October 2018, 05:04 PM
Welcome to NMS. New F56 series cars are great with far more tech than the previous generations. Also with the newer diesel cars is that they have a far better consumption than the previous cars.

EcosseGP
8th October 2018, 06:40 PM
Welcome along and like William says the current F56 version is surprisingly quick even in its standard form. You looking at new or used ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twisterboy
8th October 2018, 09:06 PM
Welcome to NMS.

Davy

Minivanman
8th October 2018, 10:09 PM
Would prefer a used one for the moment, probably 2011/2012 thanks

Davy

- - - Updated - - -

Would prefer a used one for the moment, probably 2011/2012 thanks

Davy

RichTea
9th October 2018, 04:21 PM
Welcome Davy, good luck with the search. I am thinking of changing mine in the near future, can let you know if and when i do

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chloe
10th October 2018, 09:27 PM
We just got rid of our F56 Cooper D.

Was an amazing car to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobbyclark
11th October 2018, 11:15 AM
Presumably you do a lot of miles? If so, diesel is probably still the way to go. But the newer petrol Minis are remarkably efficient. Even my JCW gets 40mpg. Should imagine a less warm version would be in the 50s or 60s. All the noises from government are that diesel is going to be taxed higher in the future. In the short term, you can pick up bargain diesel cars as there is a lot of uncertainty. In the long term, you might be stuck with a vehicle that costs more to run and you can't get shot of.

Mon the fish
11th October 2018, 11:56 AM
What mileage are you doing? Personally I wouldn't be looking to buy a diesel just now, due to the potential resale heartache due to everyone acting like headless chickens. I've got a diesel, but it's old and pretty much worthless so any media/public hysteria won't affect me.

I had an R56 Cooper S that got 45mpg all day long - brilliant mpg, never had another car that has got over 40mpg before.

Plus there's the issue of the technology on modern diesels - you need to be doing decent length runs to keep the DPF etc in decent condition and not get clogged up

Minivanman
21st October 2018, 12:44 AM
Well I've bit the bullet, purchased a 2014 Cooper "D" from a local garage with only 31k on the clock the future awaits

Davy

Twisterboy
21st October 2018, 02:09 PM
Make sure to stick up some photos in the gallery section

Davy

goggs
21st October 2018, 02:37 PM
Congrats on your purchase, I’ve no regrets moving to the mini [emoji106]

EcosseGP
21st October 2018, 04:27 PM
Good luck with the new buggy ... mind and post up some photos when you take possession of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Minivanman
21st October 2018, 09:25 PM
Thanks for such a lovely welcome, I will post some photos when I get the car next week, meanwhile i was having a look for a towbar for it and keep seeing references to "R50" "R53" etc, I'm not sure what these details mean, what one should I be looking for, 2014 Cooper Diesel

Chloe
21st October 2018, 09:55 PM
Thanks for such a lovely welcome, I will post some photos when I get the car next week, meanwhile i was having a look for a towbar for it and keep seeing references to "R50" "R53" etc, I'm not sure what these details mean, what one should I be looking for, 2014 Cooper Diesel

F56 u will be looking for.

Minivanman
21st October 2018, 10:35 PM
Thanks

MINI William
22nd October 2018, 08:46 AM
Should be an F56 but as the F56 was launched in 2014 it may be a late R56 if it’s a hatch you’re getting. I’m not sure you can a towbar for an F56 either

Minivanman
18th November 2018, 09:30 PM
Should be an F56 but as the F56 was launched in 2014 it may be a late R56 if it’s a hatch you’re getting. I’m not sure you can a towbar for an F56 either

Thanks for all of the info: regarding the R56 versus F56, is there any way to confirm these details as I cannot find any reference to these identifications on the vehicle registration document? it was first registered in August 2014 and is a 3 door hatch Cooper D, having loads of electronic extras I will be looking to purchase some sort of workshop manual, what's the best to have, any recommendations?

MINI William
18th November 2018, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all of the info: regarding the R56 versus F56, is there any way to confirm these details as I cannot find any reference to these identifications on the vehicle registration document? it was first registered in August 2014 and is a 3 door hatch Cooper D, having loads of electronic extras I will be looking to purchase some sort of workshop manual, what's the best to have, any recommendations?

Whats the reg of the car?

Minivanman
20th November 2018, 01:22 AM
Whats the reg of the car?

It's on a private plate now (178 FAO) but was SE14OMC

RichTea
21st November 2018, 06:47 PM
Hi Davy. Saw you in killie the other day and your car is an F56, so no towbar is (officially / legally) compliant

Minivanman
29th November 2018, 06:30 PM
Hi Davy. Saw you in killie the other day and your car is an F56, so no towbar is (officially / legally) compliant

Why no towbar, is there a problem with the vehicle strength?

Davy

RichTea
29th November 2018, 06:47 PM
No, i understand the issue is that bmw havent put the F56 mini through vehicle type approval with the EC