PDA

View Full Version : New Minis

M600-RKJ
5th October 2018, 09:57 AM
Was just having a flick through auto trader and noticed there are new model names for the mini like cooper exclusive, cooper classic, cooper S sport etc. Can you now order pre speced minis?

goggs
8th October 2018, 07:22 AM
I noticed that on autotrader as well, maybe a new range, looks like you can configure your options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINI William
8th October 2018, 01:15 PM
Not something I’ve noticed, but interesting. Will need to find out

goggs
8th October 2018, 01:34 PM
I emailed my local mini dealer and they advised this is how the options are now controlled, so fixed by model going forward

EcosseGP
8th October 2018, 06:37 PM
No i don’t think they’re new models I think they’re just covering all the bases from previous models looking at the options that you can specify ... it’s only just gone on like though as I check Autotrader almost daily lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M600-RKJ
9th October 2018, 01:08 PM
I have always thought it a little weird that mini are the only company I can think of that don't have trim levels as such. Obviously you get cooper, S, one but that's always really only dictated the power you were gunna get.

- - - Updated - - -

The main place this would be a benefit will be in the used car market. Because just now if you go looking for an S it's pretty difficult to find a mini in the spec you want. Like for instance an S with leather and sunroof. Where as if that was standard on the S exclusive or S luxury would make searching for a car far easier and less tedious

EcosseGP
9th October 2018, 04:25 PM
You can do that on Autotrader though mark just type in the key words and it’ll narrow the search down for you, right to mileage that you’d prefer on the car too. It’s a bit more of a fuss on other websites trying to look at the things you want but I think AT search facility is pretty good

MINI William
12th October 2018, 12:41 AM
Just seen this on the AutoExpress website

CLICK (https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/mini/104902/mini-to-launch-new-classic-sport-and-exclusive-trims)

M600-RKJ
12th October 2018, 12:53 AM
Just seen this on the AutoExpress website

CLICK (https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/mini/104902/mini-to-launch-new-classic-sport-and-exclusive-trims)That's really interesting. Although a little odd that the engines are still called one, cooper, cooper S and from that article there is no mention of diesel. So have they taken the same stance as volvo and dropped diesel. It also seems like there is only going to minor individual options for the interior like it sounds as though you will be stuck with the seat for your pack. So you for instance couldn't have a sport with the extra padding of the lounge seats.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
12th October 2018, 07:54 AM
That's really interesting. Although a little odd that the engines are still called one, cooper, cooper S and from that article there is no mention of diesel. So have they taken the same stance as volvo and dropped diesel. It also seems like there is only going to minor individual options for the interior like it sounds as though you will be stuck with the seat for your pack. So you for instance couldn't have a sport with the extra padding of the lounge seats.

It mentions the Cooper D but not the SD. Outwith actual car geeks like us, I don't think most people actually care what engine is in their car as long as it gets decent empeegees.

It used to be the case in the 90s for example that people would desire a normal car with a decent engine - e.g. Cavalier, Mondeo and 406 V6s, but that looked broadly the same from the outside as the lower-powered models.

Now folk want the opposite - 318d M Sports that try to look like an M3 but perform nothing like one. It seems to me that the general non-car geek public want all show and no go, and are willing to put up with nasty 4-cylinder diesels in an 'executive' car because engines and smoothness don't actually matter to them

Kettlepot
13th October 2018, 04:28 PM
It mentions the Cooper D but not the SD. Outwith actual car geeks like us, I don't think most people actually care what engine is in their car as long as it gets decent empeegees.

It used to be the case in the 90s for example that people would desire a normal car with a decent engine - e.g. Cavalier, Mondeo and 406 V6s, but that looked broadly the same from the outside as the lower-powered models.

Now folk want the opposite - 318d M Sports that try to look like an M3 but perform nothing like one. It seems to me that the general non-car geek public want all show and no go, and are willing to put up with nasty 4-cylinder diesels in an 'executive' car because engines and smoothness don't actually matter to them

Do you not think this is because of insurance prices ?
Anything with any sort of power is I pain to get a decent insurance quote, especially for younger drivers

goggs
13th October 2018, 05:15 PM
Clever marketing by the car brands, make the car more desirable to the buyer, you can have the looks and toys without power, ideal for the younger driver, Vauxhall have been doing it for years with the corsa

M600-RKJ
13th October 2018, 05:16 PM
Do you not think this is because of insurance prices ?
Anything with any sort of power is I pain to get a decent insurance quote, especially for younger driversIt depends a lot on what the car is though. All of my friends have sporty/fastish cars 200+bhp. And none of us have insurance that is astronomical. My friend is 22 with a Tts 300bhp he is cheaper to insure that than I would be to insure our Renault zoe 90bhp.

My last mini 58 plate cooper S 174bhp. Was actually more expensive to insure than if I had my dad's cayman 295bhp. So power isn't the be all and end all.

I'd really like to own a clubman S but the insurance is more than double what my hatch is so no chance of that happening anytime soon.

I don't think there is any logic to how insurance is calculated.

Eddie_JCW
13th October 2018, 05:29 PM
So MINI have updated their website and as much as I think MINI could have thought of better names I think it will make ordering a little more straightforward.

I was worried that the changes made cars unspeccable but after a lot of messing around I eventually found the configurator and not a lot has really changed.

EcosseGP
13th October 2018, 05:36 PM
I d my know why they feel the need to change what they already had and seemed to make sense adding any pack that you wanted to the particular model.
It is weird that there’s no mention of diesel models especially given the SD was a popular model

goggs
13th October 2018, 05:36 PM
Just a relaunch of the range available maybe !

M600-RKJ
13th October 2018, 06:47 PM
I d my know why they feel the need to change what they already had and seemed to make sense adding any pack that you wanted to the particular model.
It is weird that there’s no mention of diesel models especially given the SD was a popular model

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThat was me misreading Davy they do mention the cooper d but with 150bhp which seems odd would expect the cooper d to have less power than the cooper

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
16th October 2018, 10:53 AM
It depends a lot on what the car is though. All of my friends have sporty/fastish cars 200+bhp. And none of us have insurance that is astronomical. My friend is 22 with a Tts 300bhp he is cheaper to insure that than I would be to insure our Renault zoe 90bhp.

My last mini 58 plate cooper S 174bhp. Was actually more expensive to insure than if I had my dad's cayman 295bhp. So power isn't the be all and end all.

I'd really like to own a clubman S but the insurance is more than double what my hatch is so no chance of that happening anytime soon.

I don't think there is any logic to how insurance is calculated.

Hi.
If anyone needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.