PDA

View Full Version : Headlight and taillight tinting

M600-RKJ
3rd August 2018, 11:37 PM
What are the rules for tinting lights. I know that headlights should not be tinted unless you use fly eye but does the same rule apply to back lights.

Just curious as you can now spec smoked or tinted rear lights on some new cars so it is OK to tint them. I've already bought light tint so they are going to be tinted either way.

Blueboy
4th August 2018, 05:47 AM
Barry at Autotints in Kirkcaldy does it so must be legal as he doesn't do anything illegal inc tinting front windows. Have a look at his fb page as he's done quite a few now and does a great job. He did Bruces old R55 front and rear
cheers

M600-RKJ
4th August 2018, 09:39 PM
I don't think I will get any bother because I'm not going black just a light smoke hoping to ressemble the black line lights on the lci minis

stoney
5th August 2018, 08:16 AM
Mark you can fit tinted lights no problem at all it's like the clear lights you "should" fit extra reflectors
the MINI clear lights for the r53 came with them in the kit so to speak but I have never had them on mine and never had a problem with a MOT

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

M600-RKJ
5th August 2018, 11:45 AM
Mark you can fit tinted lights no problem at all it's like the clear lights you "should" fit extra reflectors
the MINI clear lights for the r53 came with them in the kit so to speak but I have never had them on mine and never had a problem with a MOT

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I'm gunna have a go at tinting them today or sometime next week. Bought it on a bit of a whim the tint cost a few pounds from wish but if I like it I might it done properly

EcosseGP
6th August 2018, 10:55 AM
The official line is ....

It's a failure under the new MOT regulations

"Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light’s intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators"

How much they reduce the intensity and whether it's noticeable is up for debate ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk