PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Oil Use

NRM1979
25th July 2018, 09:11 PM
So now that we have a working dipstick we clearly have an Oil problem...…

Not even 300 miles since filling to the max, we're at half full. No sign of anything substantial dripping on the drive.

Any common areas we should be looking at for leaks?

If it's a front off job I'll consider bringing forward the 100,000 mile uber service as we're at 89k miles.....

badwolf340
26th July 2018, 06:00 AM
Lots of things that you can do and check ,
check for a physical oil loss
any signs of oil burning when driving and if so on boost /off boost /when slowing down
oil on plugs
cylinder leakage test

Craig
26th July 2018, 09:14 AM
Sump gaskets can be a big leakage point and seem to do it only under driving conditions - the underside of the car will be a tad oily. I’d check that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
26th July 2018, 12:35 PM
Advice as above, they can leak from pretty much anywhere - crank seal being another.

Also, don't get too hung up on the 100k service thing IMO - most of the stuff is just regular servicing like plugs etc that should be done more often than the OEM schedule anyway. The only big thing is the supercharger itself, which is up to you really - service it, or treat it as a disposable item and replace it when it dies

NRM1979
26th July 2018, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, will have a look at the underside.

About to head off on holiday for a couple of weeks. Will refill to max and leave it on the drive and check on return to see if its seepage or pushed out when running. And then take it to a garage when we're back.....

Tempted to get the oil changed in the Supercharger and keep it original for as long as possible. Seems pretty bullet proof on the basis it must have been running without enough oil at some point (gulp!)………