PDA

View Full Version : ASC

AberdeenMini
21st October 2004, 09:12 PM
Hi guys, is ASC on when the little read light on the rev-ometer is on or is ASC on all the time and the little red light therefore indicates it is not on? Whats ASC for anyway?
Thanks guys :D

MartinSullivan
21st October 2004, 09:17 PM
ASC is on when the light is off - and off when the light is on

Vosh
21st October 2004, 09:25 PM
Mine is a yellow light. Sure its not the handbrake thats on? :)

Julz
21st October 2004, 09:31 PM
Mine's a yellow light too!!;)

AberdeenMini
21st October 2004, 09:37 PM
I thought it was a red light:I What is ASC's purpose guys?
Thanks.

MartinSullivan
21st October 2004, 09:50 PM
better have a colour blind test - its definitely yellow

The Dogfather
21st October 2004, 09:53 PM
What is ASC my Cooper doesn't have it, is it traction control?

MartinSullivan
21st October 2004, 09:56 PM
Yeah it stands for Automatic stability control + Traction and effectively prevents front wheel spin and guarantees stability. This smart electronic system uses the ABS sensors to detect any wheel slippage. When the system does so it automatically cuts power to the spinning wheel until it grips again.

It also works under deceleration on a slippery surface, if a wheel approaches lock-up due to engine braking. In this instance power is gently fed to that wheel to get it rolling again and so control is regained. A warning light comes on when the system is activated.

You can also have

DSC or Dynamic Stability Control is an expansion of ABS and ASC+T. DSC monitors lateral and longitudinal forces on the car as well as throttle and steering inputs from the driver and any wheel slippage. Thus it determines the intended trajectory of the car and compares it to its actual course. If necessary, it can adjust the dynamic attitude of the car by applying braking forces to individual wheels and controlling throttle inputs.

If it detects oversteer, DSC applies the brake to the outer front wheel. If the driver is already braking, the computer increases the braking pressure on this wheel and reduces the pressure on the inside wheels. In the case of understeer, DSC applies braking force to the rear wheel on the inside of the bend. If the driver has already started braking, the braking pressure on the wheel on the inside of the curve is increased, whilst the pressure on the outer wheels is reduced.

These are direct quotes from another site - not my opinion of the systems - I find them too intrusive sometimes , but the MTH mod seems to have evened that up a bit

Steve74
21st October 2004, 09:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

What is ASC my Cooper doesn't have it, is it traction control?

I think ASC is standard - Iain should be able to say. Automatic Stability Control + Traction I think. DSC is Dynamic!;)

GAJ
21st October 2004, 10:03 PM
ASC + T is an option on the One and Cooper.

AberdeenMini
21st October 2004, 10:19 PM
Cheers for that explanation Martin ;). I've always wondered what it was for :D

The Dogfather
21st October 2004, 10:42 PM
Me not got it, me can do mighty big wheelspins!!!

Me need new tyres sooner than everyone else!

Mini Me
21st October 2004, 11:11 PM
Take it ,you still have the brochure Martin,cos i'm very impressed

MartinSullivan
21st October 2004, 11:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

Take it ,you still have the brochure Martin,cos i'm very impressed

No , but I reckon I could get a job in sales!!!! - but maybe I know too much!!!! :p:):D

X30YES
21st October 2004, 11:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

ASC is on when the light is off - and off when the light is on
So its off when its on then :D, nae wunner a canny wheel spin ;) where is the GTF switch then :question:

MartinSullivan
21st October 2004, 11:56 PM
You should have an ASC switch, in your toggle switch panel, flick that and your yellow (definitely yellow) light on your instrument will light up. When the light is on the ASC+T is off

Steve74
22nd October 2004, 01:49 AM

You should have an ASC switch, in your toggle switch panel, flick that and your yellow (definitely yellow) light on your instrument will light up. When the light is on the ASC+T is off

and that's the best way to drive it...

X30YES
22nd October 2004, 01:53 AM

I do ....just havin a larf ;)

Duncan Stewart
22nd October 2004, 07:10 PM

Yeah it stands for Automatic stability control + Traction and effectively prevents front wheel spin

I think I need to get this.
Pulled out of a junction yesterday into the path of a slow moving van and booted it - wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear resulted in me almost getting "Ford transit" stamped on my rear bumper! :I:clown::eek:

Steve74
22nd October 2004, 07:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Yeah it stands for Automatic stability control + Traction and effectively prevents front wheel spin

Pulled out of a junction yesterday into the path of a slow moving van and booted it - wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear resulted in me almost getting "Ford transit" stamped on my rear bumper! :I:clown::eek:

I've almost had a similar experience with the DSC on. When the cars cold it stumbles and almost stalls in front of the oncoming car or bus!!

GAJ
22nd October 2004, 08:10 PM

I've done that a few times too!Worse at this time of year too with damp leaves and such like. Need to get a new car unfortunately as it can't be retro-fitted.:(

The Dogfather
22nd October 2004, 08:26 PM
What size tyres have you got? My 17 - 205s (federals) barely slip at all, that's as long as I'm not trying to get it to spin.

sh@z
22nd October 2004, 08:45 PM
Mines slip from time to time too but not a lot really, jus recently tho ... might need to check pressure in tyres

my tyres are Eagle-F1 215's

Julz
22nd October 2004, 08:56 PM
I actually switch mine off when it's wet! Because I have to travel up and down the Kingsway and round all seven million roundabouts, I find the ASC makes the car almost do an emergency stop when I want to be flying along, the Toyo Proxes I've had fitted have a good enough grip to almost eliminate wheelspin in the wet when the ASC is off, but Yoko's getting fitted on the front tomorrow, might be a different story!!:clown::evil:

euan
22nd October 2004, 09:19 PM
I find my ASC is a nightmare at times. In the wet if I want a quick getaway I turn it off and trust my right foot. I know it won't lunge if I do it. Works well in the dry, and in the snow last year it was pretty good too.

It's getting worse, but then my tyres are the 17" Good Year run flats and are much lower on tread now.

sh@z
22nd October 2004, 10:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I actually switch mine off when it's wet! Because I have to travel up and down the Kingsway and round all seven million roundabouts, I find the ASC makes the car almost do an emergency stop when I want to be flying along, the Toyo Proxes I've had fitted have a good enough grip to almost eliminate wheelspin in the wet when the ASC is off, but Yoko's getting fitted on the front tomorrow, might be a different story!!:clown::evil:

hehe... dont the Yoko's have questionable wet weather grip?? or so the guy told me when i was deciding which tyres to get on mine... awesome dry grip tho hehe

lightbody
24th October 2004, 08:23 PM
I have ASC in my new MINI but didn't have it on the last one.

The traction control part is the part I dont like - it kills wheelspin when you're trying to make a quick getaway - i'd rather have the wheelspin thanks, at least i know whats happening!!

The ASC aspect is GOOD! I over-did it on a very tight city turn in the wet the other night - I felt it kick in and it definitely helped the front of the car tuck in and come round the corner tightly - I was very impressed!! I suspect it could be a life-saver in an emergency.

Duncan Stewart
25th October 2004, 02:17 AM
I run 15"s. I'm surprised the bigger wheels do well in poor weather. I've always found larger / wider wheels give better grip in the dry but can be scary in the wet / frost

X30YES
25th October 2004, 02:54 AM

I run 15"s. I'm surprised the bigger wheels do well in poor weather. I've always found larger / wider wheels give better grip in the dry but can be scary in the wet / frost
As you say D...very scary in the ice and snow when you have rear wheel drive !!!...I know its an age thing but still great fun ;)...better with a LSD ,and not dope for you young uns either :D