PDA

View Full Version : snow foam/general cleaning

Borvad
7th July 2018, 12:36 PM
Got my own place about 3/4 years ago and have been washing the car back at mum and dads where they have the pressure washer.
Looking to start at my own place, but its kinda restrictive, being semi detached and the driveway aint the best design as the entrance is shared with next door!

Have used demon foam, but find at the price, it doesnt last as long as it claims..........think it says can get up to 10/14 washes out of it, but due to the amount needing to be used, think I only end up with 6! :ragin:
Are there any better 'snow foams' out there, for use with a pressure washer......and also for when I am just using my own piddly garden hose at mine?

What do we think is better for washing the car, sponge or brush?

What can I use to clean my exhaust tips which are basically black when should be silver?

thanks

M600-RKJ
7th July 2018, 06:14 PM
Definitely invest in a pressure washer kartchers can be had for not too much money

I've never come across a hose attachment that creates a use able foam. Foam isn't essential but it can lift light gritty dirt and reduce the chance of swirls, can also help to soften dirt so you don't have to scrub the paint. Personally I like power axed snowfoam doesn't have a nice smell like some more expensive foams but it's cheap and it works also lasts a long time. Cleans just as well as auto finesse

As for sponge or brush neither. Get yourself a mitt microfiber or sheepskin both last a long time sheepskin does need to be used regularly or the fibres can go bad.

For exhaust tips can't go wrong with autosol

Harmchar
7th July 2018, 06:15 PM
My preference is Auto Finesse Avalanche snow foam. Loads of products out there probably better/cheaper, but it's finding what you're happy with and what fits in your routine. Get a proper snow foam lance to fit whatever make of pressure washer you have and you'll notice a big improvement from Demon.
Snow foam works great if you have a nice decontaminated car under the dust/grime. I use Fusso which holds its finish for ages, then just blast with snow foam once a week. I'm not a heavy duty detailer, but I'm sure others will tell u - never use a brush on a car. I use micro fibre cloths for washing and a deluxe drying towel for a hands on wash. YouTube has thousands of vids for best practices on wash/polish/finishing.

badwolf340
7th July 2018, 06:18 PM
Snow foams ,really comes down to users preference,I am using Valet pro PH neutral and find it works well ,I usually make it a strong mix to make it nice and thick .
sponge or brush :hand: not used one of them in a while ,just use a wash mitt and grit guards and 2BM

CiderFex
7th July 2018, 06:50 PM
I always foam my car, rinse, wash with a clay mitt and a micro pore sponge and then just dry it off with a synthetic chamois and then a drying towel.
The products used are a very personal preference and it’s took me 20 years to get to the products that I use today.
I just need to find a foam/shampoo that I really like and then I’ll be fully sorted,

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

Harmchar
7th July 2018, 07:30 PM
I've found Simoniz wax free shampoo is good for me. Wax free is better for me as it doesn't streak windows as much also less noticeable marks on the black trim. 6 quid from Halfords. Going to keep an eye out for other wax free shampoo that doesn't hurt the budget.

M600-RKJ
8th July 2018, 08:49 AM
If you dont want to splash out on a brand new kartchers you can get second hand ones for very cheap and kartchers sell servicing kits for most of their old models.

CiderFex
8th July 2018, 08:56 AM
I’ve bought my last two Kärchers from here.
They’ve got K2’s from £45.99 or K4’s from £99.99.

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/index.asp

At the prices they charge it don’t matter if it only lasts 3-4 years.
My K4 is still going strong after well o’er 3 years.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

Mon the fish
9th July 2018, 11:12 AM
If snow foam is a faff for you due to space etc, consider an all-purpose cleaner on the dirty bits (flies, up the sides and back) - but IMO you really need a pressure washer to minimise paint damage, a standard hose just doesn't cut it.

Exhaust pipes - try a metal polish, various ones out there but I like the Britemax twins. If that doesn't work, you may need to go with 0000 wire wool to get the worst of the stains off, then finish with the metal polish. But go as gentle as you can to start with, same concept as polishing paint - only go for a more aggressive approach if necessary