PDA

View Full Version : N18B16C JCW Exhaust Noise...

CiderFex
28th June 2018, 09:07 PM
I’m curious to know if it’s normal for an R59 JCW (N18B16C engine) to make VERY loud “crack” noises when in Sport Mode on the overrun ?
By the above I mean noises from the exhaust that are WAY louder than the pops, bangs & burbles that I’m used to in GP1499.
Sometimes they are THAT loud they actually make me jump when I’m roofless.
lol
It’s not a problem, I do quite like them, but I was just wondering if this is normal.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

Eddie_JCW
28th June 2018, 09:28 PM
Yes! Wait till it's decatted [emoji48]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

CiderFex
28th June 2018, 09:33 PM
Yes! Wait till it's decatted [emoji48]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

THAT dear Eddie is WAY down the mod list.
Have you been talking to William ?
[emoji23]

DigitalLemming
28th June 2018, 09:50 PM
Is that before or after the Alta?

CiderFex
28th June 2018, 10:01 PM
Yes Andrew, which will come after the LED DRL’s, black grill surrounds, additional LED headlights, GP2 diffuser, Black Line rear lights, new valve caps, wiper blades, footwell mats, fluffy dice, stubby aerial, rear view mirror cover, new wheels etc etc.
The more that you and William keep mentioning an ALTA the longer it’ll be before I get one, that’s IF I decide that I want one.

I’m stubborn like that.
[emoji23]

MINI William
28th June 2018, 10:40 PM
Sounds normal Pete. You’ll have a lot of fun with a decat

Tam1314
8th September 2018, 08:58 AM
Pete, mine cracks and bangs in every gear. Love it.
I forgot about the furry dice upgrade tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CiderFex
8th September 2018, 09:00 AM
Pete, mine cracks and bangs in every gear. Love it.
I forgot about the furry dice upgrade tho.

Oooh, I’ve not got any of those.
[emoji15]
Amazon here I come.
[emoji12]

MINI William
8th September 2018, 10:12 AM
Oooh, I’ve not got any of those.
[emoji15]
Amazon here I come.
[emoji12]

Added to the mod list?

Craig
8th September 2018, 10:14 AM
Definitely cracks on the overrun - I just can’t hear mine at the moment over the rattle from the chain [emoji23]. In fact the car hasn’t moved in 10 days [emoji12]

Sometimes it sounds like a shotgun has gone off too [emoji12]. All normal Pete [emoji106]

MINI William
8th September 2018, 07:59 PM
Not good that your having problems Craig. What’s the problem?

Craig
8th September 2018, 09:01 PM
Limp home mode week last Wed. Turned out to be the exhaust side camshaft phaser plug has gone faulty. Also the timing chain is rattling really bad at all times now, not just when it’s cold. Was beginning to run a bit tougher before the limp home so gonna get the timing chain and the guides\tensioner done at the same time... advised by 2 garages that I trust not to drive it so it’s parked til they are available...

MINI William
8th September 2018, 09:05 PM
Limp home mode week last Wed. Turned out to be the exhaust side camshaft phaser plug has gone faulty. Also the timing chain is rattling really bad at all times now, not just when it’s cold. Was beginning to run a bit tougher before the limp home so gonna get the timing chain and the guides\tensioner done at the same time... advised by 2 garages that I trust not to drive it so it’s parked til they are available...

Not good at all. Sorry to read that your new car is needing work already. But best not to move as your doing already

Craig
8th September 2018, 09:13 PM
Not good at all. Sorry to read that your new car is needing work already. But best not to move as your doing already

Cheers - it’s my own fault... I said I’d never buy another N14\18 engine MINI and listened to others that said the N18 was much better and hardly had any issues... here I am 2 months into ownership with a broken car and a bill that appears the Warranty won’t cover... Xmas is cancelled [emoji23]

Harmchar
8th September 2018, 11:12 PM
anyone noticed more pops with different fuel. I've been using Tesco Momentum 99 and it was banging like mad today. Tried Shell V power and it wasn't as violent. Wish I had the funds for all the mods I want to do to make it growl and pop even more.

CiderFex
8th September 2018, 11:15 PM
anyone noticed more pops with different fuel. I've been using Tesco Momentum 99 and it was banging like mad today. Tried Shell V power and it wasn't as violent. Wish I had the funds for all the mods I want to do to make it growl and pop even more.

I have also found that I get more pops/bangs/claps when using Momentum.
I usually fill up with V-Power down here due to the fact there’s no Tesco within miles of where I live or on my commute.