PDA

View Full Version : 300bhp

badwolf340
21st May 2018, 08:14 PM
Latest news .....

http://www.motoringfile.com/2018/05/21/2020-300-hp-jcw-countryman-clubman/#

Mon the fish
22nd May 2018, 07:19 AM
The slow death of the manual is as inevitable as it is sad - I'm firmly in the miserable old git camp who wouldn't have anything else in my fun cars, as much as I appreciate the current generation of ZF autos are very impressive things.

Wonder if manual JCWs will become as desirable in the future as other proper manual sports & supercars?

Big Gordy
22nd May 2018, 08:08 AM
I'm with you on this Mon :thumbs up:
I've been given a new Audi A3 saloon while mine is in for some warranty work and it has an auto box and it just confirms the fact that i just don't like auto's :frown:
I know its just me but I feel like I'm always having to touch the brakes where in a manual I wouldn't. Maybe I should try it using the flappy paddle thingies :Whistle:

Mon the fish
22nd May 2018, 09:01 AM
Do we think there may be an opportunity in the future for JCW to do a 911R, so to speak - i.e. a limited run manual with a huge premium?

CiderFex
22nd May 2018, 10:28 AM
Do we think there may be an opportunity in the future for JCW to do a 911R, so to speak - i.e. a limited run manual with a huge premium?

It’s MINI, so probably yes.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

MINI William
22nd May 2018, 12:38 PM
Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Auto is a great way for BMW/MINI to combat CO2 etc and still produce exciting cars

M600-RKJ
22nd May 2018, 01:08 PM
I haven't driven many cars with the zf box. But if its as good as people say it could be a lot of fun obviously losing some involvement but it would be nice just being able to sit back and cruising with having to change gear. Auto can make sense when its as good as pdk. I would still really like to see a 4wd f56 that would be an awesome little hooner

weefossy
22nd May 2018, 09:34 PM
Love autos, especially on bigger cars. Like Ali, love the DSG box

CiderFex
23rd May 2018, 01:50 AM
I never driven a flappy paddle MINI but the thought of one does intrigue me somewhat.
I’m not too bothered about big bhp figures to be honest, but the higher the better, and I’d just want as many torques as mechanically possible for insane acceleration.
[emoji4]
I’ve no intention of buying one though due to a severe lack of THAT kind of money and the fact that the R59 JCW has really blown my mind with its all round capabilities.
[emoji41]
The only car that I’ve ever driven with flappy paddles was a Jag XK Dynamic R.
Oooh, that beast was simply stunning.

Big Gordy
23rd May 2018, 08:15 AM
I had a shot of the R8 V10 with flappy paddles.....it was quite nice :Whistle:

Mon the fish
23rd May 2018, 11:19 AM
I still love the simple art of changing gear- matching the revs for a perfect downchange.

The R53 & R56 have perfect pedal placement, and such a sweet gearchange that without it I'd really miss it.

The ZF 8 speed box is great at what it does, but I can't help feel that 8 gears are just too many. I tried it in a 420d, and with it's narrow 4-pot derv torque curve it was changing gear all the time. I suppose on a petrol with a flatter torque curve it might be better.

But hey, it's the way the world is going

ELFMAN
24th May 2018, 07:43 PM
DSG? Flappy Paddles? Luxury! We used to dreeeeeaaam o’ flappy paddles! I drive a 74 MGB with t’ 4 Speed and t’Overdrive (3rd & 4th). It’s like t’ kiddies activity centre on’t back road! Left ‘and for’t big stick, a flick oop ‘n down with t’ right for t’overdrive, alternating yer ‘ands on’t wheel while negotiating t’ bends. You tell the young kids that today and they won’t believe you!

With apologies to Monty Python’s “Four Yorkshiremen” sketch. And Pete!

CiderFex
24th May 2018, 07:50 PM
DSG? Flappy Paddles? Luxury! We used to dreeeeeaaam o’ flappy paddles! I drive a 74 MGB with t’ 4 Speed and t’Overdrive (3rd & 4th). It’s like t’ kiddies activity centre on’t back road! Left ‘and for’t big stick, a flick oop ‘n down with t’ right for t’overdrive, alternating yer ‘ands on’t wheel while negotiating t’ bends. You tell the young kids that today and they won’t believe you!

With apologies to Monty Python’s “Four Yorkshiremen” sketch. And Pete!

A ‘74 MGB on’t back roads ???
Bloody luxury that is.
We had to walk in us bare feet o’er red hot lava rocks and pay t’landowner for privilege...

ELFMAN
26th May 2018, 09:33 PM
Ah din’t know tha was born on’t Hawaii our Pete! We used to dreeeeaam o’ living on’t Hawaii. Red ‘ot Lava rocks? Luxury! Most we could ‘ope for was to warm us ‘ands on’t steam from pit slag ‘eap...

Sorry folks! Back on Topic...

maxibaby01
26th May 2018, 11:27 PM
Autoboxes are all about emissions and fuel economy from what I’ve encountered. I’ve only ever had two autos, an old Merc ages ago and an Audi, which I still have.
To me they suit a bigger, heavier car. I chose an auto for the Audi coz it’s an estate, not a small hatch and also because the road fund licence for the manual model took it into the next bracket! Significantly more.
To be honest, I find it really relaxing to drive in auto, a godsend driving round Europe on it, never really use the flappy paddles and couldn’t change gear quicker in the manual version if I tried.
I’ll keep the R53 for as long as possible, because I love to change gear in it, the balance that it gives, though will give an auto MINI a go just to see how that works out.
Interesting times ahead, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeswagon
28th May 2018, 09:51 AM
I was on a BMW MINI Ultimate Driving Experience day on Friday (Gordon.... where were you?), Aberdeen to Mar Lodge for lunch.... nice :cool:

In our group we drove X1, 140i, F57 Cooper, 340i, X5 and i8..... all autos. Enjoyed the flappy paddles in the i8 for some reason, and the noise, but was great to get back into my car for the drive home.

Mon the fish
28th May 2018, 10:14 PM
I was on a BMW MINI Ultimate Driving Experience day on Friday (Gordon.... where were you?), Aberdeen to Mar Lodge for lunch.... nice :cool:

In our group we drove X1, 140i, F57 Cooper, 340i, X5 and i8..... all autos. Enjoyed the flappy paddles in the i8 for some reason, and the noise, but was great to get back into my car for the drive home.

Obviously John Clark don't like me, I must be riff raff :p

mikeswagon
29th May 2018, 09:01 AM
Obviously John Clark don't like me, I must be riff raff :p

With your car collection you'd just about scrape in:thumbs up: