PDA

View Full Version : Alternator issues

Gingerlugs
19th May 2018, 05:16 PM
Hi all,

So my battery light come on today on my 04 Cooper. I popped over to Farmers autocare in Grahams Road, Falkirk and they confirmed my alternator is knackered. They quoted me £350 for supply and fit a new one which I can ill afford.
So I've looked up YouTube videos and it looks like an absolute pig of a job, removing bumper etc etc etc.

Firstly does anyone have an alternator for sale (much cheapness preferred)?

Secondly has anyone fitted one and have they any tips for me?

Lastly, unlike the classic mini where you just put the fan belt back on, lift up the alternator and tighten the nut, I believe the belt goes round more than just the alternator, and in addition, is has tensioner which I have never dealt with before. Any tips would be appreciated including how to get the belt off and anything else I should be aware of

Many thanks in advance

Craig

MINI William
19th May 2018, 11:05 PM
Why don’t you phone B&M and see how much they would take for doing it

Gingerlugs
20th May 2018, 07:51 AM
Need to get it done today for work tomorrow!!!!! Argh!!

EcosseGP
20th May 2018, 10:15 AM
I think it’s just about the whole front end off for this job. I’ve not done one but if I remember I saw it being done once and it’s the crash bar and legs off too. Be careful if you’re not taking the radiator out too as you’ll need to pull the radiator forward to get into it ... fingers crossed especially if you need it done asap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gingerlugs
20th May 2018, 04:36 PM
Thanks for that,
I googled it and found a YouTube video and you are spot on, full front end off, had to slide radiator out and then replace. Got a replacement from u pull it in inverkeithing for £25 and job done with no additional cost, only time. Big difference from the £350 I was quoted! 😎

bpirie1000
20th May 2018, 07:41 PM
Good result there.. and good graft getting stuck in your self.. well done...

Happy mini miles..

MINI William
20th May 2018, 10:15 PM
Great result

Kevin100
22nd May 2018, 11:53 AM
Got on line to mini spare Hull there are on eBay