PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Gearbox on MCS

G2 - S
19th October 2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Folks,

I've read a wee bit on getrag gearboxes in the 170bhpMCS making a ticking noise. Ernie started doing this after only 500miles. He's now on 2000miles and the noise is not changing. It goes away when you depress the clutch.

Took him to JC's in Aberdeen last week and the service guy had a look at it and basically said that it was a characteristic of the gearbox and they all make that noise. I asked him to show me it in another and neither of the 2 MCS's he tried did it. Surely a noise like this shouldn't be a characteristic - it's embarrassing sometimes!

It really sounds bad sometimes so I made them get the regional manager to come and have a look at it - still awaiting the call to say when.

Thinking that replacing the gearbox is a bit drastic as surely the factory one should be installed better therefore should I just put up with the noise? Anyone else been to JC's about this same problem?

Thanks,
G2

Eggy7496
19th October 2004, 05:12 PM
hey, my sister go that on her MCS, she took it into John Clarks and they fixed it under warrenty

G2 - S
19th October 2004, 06:10 PM
What did they do? They said the only fix would be a new gearbox under warranty but the chances were that the replacement one would do the same!

Eggy7496
19th October 2004, 07:00 PM
she got a new gear box fitted and nothing has happened so far. its worth getting a new one

Gismo
19th October 2004, 10:40 PM
If the noise goes away when you depress the clutch then the likely problem would be the release bearing, clutch or the pressure plate.
Does the ticking sound increase or decrease with speed :question:

G2 - S
19th October 2004, 11:12 PM
Whilst in gear it doesn't make a noise. Apparently 'just all the gearings rattling'!

G2 - S
1st November 2004, 04:33 PM
Ladies & Gents,

At last, after shouting at the dealer to further investigate the noisy gearbox in my 05 MCS they have had a release from BMW central saying that certain Chassis no's will be recalled due to 'exessive play in the flywheel' ! Mine has been ordered up and they are replacing it on Wednesday so hopefully the ticking gearbox of Ernie will stop on Wednesday.

I'm not that technical when you get into the guts of a car but the flywheel having 'exessive play' can never be a good thing!!

I'll keep you informed. As mentioned by another member - get down to your dealers if you have this problem!

G

G2 - S
5th November 2004, 01:03 AM
Just got my MCS back from JC's after getting the ticking solved by replacing the flywheel. All I can say is anyone with the ticking noise mentioned above should get straight to the dealer and get their flywheel changed! The car is so quiet and smooth compared to before! I didn't expect such a difference!

So chuffed. Again - a massive smile on my face!

G

Gismo
5th November 2004, 04:05 AM
I was almost correct in my diagnosis then ;)

Steve74
5th November 2004, 04:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by G2 - S

Just got my MCS back from JC's after getting the ticking solved by replacing the flywheel. All I can say is anyone with the ticking noise mentioned above should get straight to the dealer and get their flywheel changed! The car is so quiet and smooth compared to before! I didn't expect such a difference!

So chuffed. Again - a massive smile on my face!

G

Getting my clutch replaced after a bled master cylinder and heat shield fixing made no difference to a noise in my MCS!