PDA

View Full Version : Unexplainable love for a metal box

M600-RKJ
17th April 2018, 08:08 PM
Finding myself really torn just now. Keep trolling through auto trader looking at different arguably better hot hatches than the mini. But I don't know if I could say bye to the mini.

I've only had this one (Nigel) a year but its already dug its heel in. I had fully accepted that my last mini (Benji) was going to be a forever car, that didn't quite pan out that way,

Chatting with friends the other day we were throwing out ideas of what we were planning on getting next and I'm really fond of the 208 gti, I've test driven them a few times, but walking back to the mini the other day I took this photo and thought nah I'm not ready to get rid of it yet.

Is it just a mini thing? Are we all mad?

No real reason behind this post just wanted to start a discussion of cars that you haven't been able to sell.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180417/ed6c74d97a3f35eaed9c94c07bbbb439.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

CiderFex
17th April 2018, 08:20 PM
I always said that I would never sell 1499.
But....
You know the rest.
I personally can not think of one other car brand out there that completely takes you over like a MINI does.
I’ve beaten many a more expensive cars in 1499, too many GTi’s to mention, M3’s, one R32 300, Leon and Cupra FR’s and one 600cc sports bike which just could not keep up around the bends. It’s a lot of fun for not too much money.
A MINI is an all round cruiser, shopping trolley, commuter and back whack hooner.
The fact they are so easy to personalise as well gives them an extra edge in my book.
I struggled to decide that I really wanted another MINI and sell 1499 but I knew that I was making the right decision.
I have only ever had two proper dream cars, within the bounds of reality and sensibility, and I am lucky to own them both at the present time.
It’s a hard decision to make and one that I just could not take to the level of buying a non-MINI.
My views on MINI ownership have been aired before...
It’s 5% actually owning a MINI, the other 95% is about the people I’ve met and the ones that I will meet.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

M600-RKJ
17th April 2018, 08:43 PM
It was numbers that brought me to mini tbh. None of my family ever owned a mini none of my friends have minis. I was on motors and knew I wanted a hot hatch but my heart was actually set on an Abarth grande punto. But every time I put in my criteria for a car I was bombarded with minis and after seeing what would be my first mini and having a shot of one I was hooked.

That's the other thing about Mini the community is great. There's never been a time I've come away from an NMS weekend without my face hurting because of laughter and smiling too much.

The runs are always brilliantly organised and the pace is just right.

You don't seem to find that outside of mini certainly up this way anyway. There is a vxr club that only seem to park up in dark multistory car parks and a ford group that don't seem to do much other than going to driftland and Knockhill occasionally.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

CiderFex
17th April 2018, 09:46 PM
Yeah, that about sums it up for me as well.
I honestly can not see me willing to do a 577 and then a 570 mile round day trip to meet up with anyone else.
I know that the MINI community is pretty friendly but NMS do take it beyond that to a whole higher level.

stoney
18th April 2018, 07:41 AM
It was very hard for me to let go of GP0668 when Christine fell pregnant but needs must I have never pinned for a car like I have for my GP I would love it back but with family ECT it's just not possible I did also love my clubman but not in the same way I did my GP !!

I love the R53 as a driver's car it's so much fun and much more raw than the later models. The later middle are good for more comfort and refinement IMO.

But as Pete said it not just the car but the people you meet along the way that make the whole thing enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
18th April 2018, 08:25 AM
I've heard of too many people regret selling a car they love which is why my 13 year love affair with my R53 JCW will continue. I'll spend whatever it takes to keep it alive - the underside was refreshed this year and I now try and avoid salted roads with it.

As Rob said, it's the rawness about the R53 that appeals. I honestly don't think BMW could have made such a great drivers' car on their own - the character of the R53 benefits massively from being a Rover/BMW mongrel. And that for me is what it's all about - character. Not ultimate speed, or equipment etc.

I also dislike the way modern cars are going - I'm not keen on the power delivery of a modern turbo, and I've never driven a car with electric steering that gives me the feedback I want. We had a 420d as a courtesy car recently, and apart from the hateful engine, getting back into our 12 year old 5 series was a revelation - I could actually feel the front wheels again! The R53 has epic steering, one of the most important things about a car for me.

I don't want to sound like an obnoxious prick, but most of you know I'm lucky enough to own a Ferrari 550. Despite having such an epic car, the R53 more than holds its own against it and will never be sold. I think that says a lot :thumbs up:

M600-RKJ
18th April 2018, 11:24 AM
One of the reasons I'm drawn towards the 208 is because it uses the n18 so it like a new r56 powertrain wise. It ticks all the boxes I'm looking for I like the 1.6, it's still nice and small, being curvy it's got some off the cuteness I think gives the mini so much character, it's been properly fettled over the standard car and you don't see that many on the road. It drives like a mini imo did get to have a bit of a hoon in one of the cars I drove and it is a playful car.

The by Peugeot sport is the equivalent of a Jcw 4 pots, tweeted suspension, mechanical lsd, forged alloys and a throaty exhaust. That is one area the Standard gti seriously lacks there is very little in the way of noise

CiderFex
18th April 2018, 01:28 PM
I don't want to sound like an obnoxious prick, but most of you know I'm lucky enough to own a Ferrari 550. Despite having such an epic car, the R53 more than holds its own against it and will never be sold. I think that says a lot :thumbs up:

Gordon, the above says more than enough about MINI ownership.
[emoji4]
It must be awesome to own one of THE best cars out there for the roads in Scotland and to also have a Ferrari as a second car.
[emoji12]

Crombers
18th April 2018, 01:45 PM
120bhp-ish in a Mini is plenty to have fun with.

& with a couple of tweaks that has kept me more than happy for nearly 14 years. As you say it's the handling for me as well, the R50/3 is superb drivers car :thumbs up:

I still feel the same way about my MINI as I did back in early 2004 when I passed Henry Bros in Glasgow & saw a brand new yellow Cooper on 17 'S'spokes sitting in the showroom window. I was looking to brighten up my life after a piss poor year & that car made me say 'want' :yes nod:

Mon the fish
18th April 2018, 02:56 PM
Gordon, the above says more than enough about MINI ownership.
[emoji4]
It must be awesome to own one of THE best cars out there for the roads in Scotland and to also have a Ferrari as a second car.
[emoji12]

;) it's just as well it's a second car...

CiderFex
18th April 2018, 03:30 PM
[emoji15]

mikeswagon
18th April 2018, 04:03 PM
;) it's just as well it's a second car...

Have you got it back yet?

I see the 5 series is back, all good there :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
18th April 2018, 07:03 PM
Aye, picked it up yesterday. Because I hadn't driven it for 6 months it felt seriously quick - 3rd gear felt ridiculous.

Good to have it back, not looking forward to what breaks next ;)

mikeswagon
19th April 2018, 09:10 AM
Aye, picked it up yesterday. Because I hadn't driven it for 6 months it felt seriously quick - 3rd gear felt ridiculous.

Good to have it back, not looking forward to what breaks next ;)

Glad to hear it mate.

badwolf340
19th April 2018, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=M600-RKJ;362559]Finding myself really torn just now. Keep trolling through auto trader looking at different arguably better hot hatches than the mini. But I don't know if I could say bye to the mini.

I've only had this one (Nigel) a year but its already dug its heel in. I had fully accepted that my last mini (Benji) was going to be a forever car, that didn't quite pan out that way,

Chatting with friends the other day we were throwing out ideas of what we were planning on getting next and I'm really fond of the 208 gti, I've test driven them a few times, but walking back to the mini the other day I took this photo and thought nah I'm not ready to get rid of it yet.

Is it just a mini thing? Are we all mad?

Are we all mad ....quite possibly,but that said “I’ get the MINI thing but also understand the difference’s that people put into their own MINI’s.
The varieties of type of MINI’s is astounding...show car/ track car and everything in between.
One of the main reasons behind staying in the fold so to speak are the eclectic mix of owners,strangers and complete nut jobs that have become friends which have moved the goal posts somewhat to now change the balance from purely MINI to less of the cars and events and more of the social times before and after then looking forward to the next event ,so it can all happen again .........mad very much so and proud of the people that are the same .
The drives in convoys to events .....brilliant

CiderFex
20th April 2018, 05:43 AM
Sometimes things just take us by surprise.

Y’up, been there, done that.
[emoji23]

Mon the fish
3rd May 2018, 07:13 AM
Last year my R53 did a grand total of 800 miles - a poor effort.

In an attempt to resolve this, I've done over 400 miles in the last couple of days in it, and it's been epic. After over 13 years of using this car, I just seem to gel so well with it.

The steering has lovely feel, weight and the car has fantastic turn-in. There is more than enough power. The throttle response and pull across the complete rev range is brilliant. The pedals are perfectly positioned for constant heel and toe, just because. The gearchange is quick and precise.

It's just perfect for driving, and that's what really counts, isn't it? Why would I ever want to sell such a brilliant, brilliant thing?

CiderFex
3rd May 2018, 07:53 AM
I feel the same about 1499 but it’s now just not getting used enough to warrant me keeping it.
Fair enough I did put 4,000+ miles on it in the 6 outings that I had in it last year but it needs to go to someone who will use it more.
The R59 JCW is a different beast completely but it still has that MINI vibe going on which you just can not beat.

M600-RKJ
3rd May 2018, 08:41 AM
In an attempt to resolve this, I've done over 400 miles in the last couple of days in it, and it's been epic. After over 13 years of using this car, I just seem to gel so well with it. It's just perfect for driving, and that's what really counts, isn't it? Why would I ever want to sell such a brilliant, brilliant thing?

That is how I felt about my last r56 I made it my perfect mini. it had plenty (too much) power, it looked the business in my eyes, it handled brilliantly, up until my crash it had only gotten away from me once and that was due to going into a corner a little too hot and being a bit too heavy on the anchors and the back came round.

the car wasn't a particularly good spec only options were the chilli pack and jaw body kit, but that in away is why I liked it because the interior was nothing special there were no distractions no toys to play with so it was just a driving tool. my current mini has a huge spec so I am more reluctant to rip the seats out and because its a comfy car I don't feel the same eagerness to rally it along B roads. saying that you could feel the lsd dragging the car out of hairpins over on the west coast and that was good fun.

Mon the fish
3rd May 2018, 02:10 PM
That is how I felt about my last r56 I made it my perfect mini. it had plenty (too much) power, it looked the business in my eyes, it handled brilliantly, up until my crash it had only gotten away from me once and that was due to going into a corner a little too hot and being a bit too heavy on the anchors and the back came round.

the car wasn't a particularly good spec only options were the chilli pack and jaw body kit, but that in away is why I liked it because the interior was nothing special there were no distractions no toys to play with so it was just a driving tool. my current mini has a huge spec so I am more reluctant to rip the seats out and because its a comfy car I don't feel the same eagerness to rally it along B roads. saying that you could feel the lsd dragging the car out of hairpins over on the west coast and that was good fun.

I know what you mean about no toys, and just being a driving tool - I got in it yesterday, did up the harnesses, fired it up, and I was off.

No faffing about with modes or settings, just get in and drive.

The bigger rARB on mine means the back end is always willing to play :thumbs up: