PDA

View Full Version : Custom Re-Map

c_me_swim
3rd April 2018, 03:56 PM
Afternoon all,

I'm looking for recommendations of somewhere in Scotland that will do a custom re-map on a rolling road along the same lines as 1320 MINI.

I'd like to upgrade the cam and injectors to better match the rest of my car so a re-map is essential.

I know a few people have travelled down to 1320 MINI but its just not a option for me at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Forgot to mention, its for my 2005 R53.

Cheers.

Mon the fish
3rd April 2018, 04:34 PM
Having looked into this a few years ago, in short no. Fitting the cam isn't the issue, any competent mechanic can do that. For tuning I wouldn't look past the experience of 1320. The R53 can have cooling issues across the block if you lean it out too much (which is the easy way of upping the power from a rich stock map)

I drove there from Aberdeen - it's only an hour by train from London, have a few days holiday there whilst they work on your car; that's what I did and it worked well. They know their stuff the Barnes brothers.

Turkeez
3rd April 2018, 05:15 PM
Afternoon all,

I'm looking for recommendations of somewhere in Scotland that will do a custom re-map on a rolling road along the same lines as 1320 MINI.

I'd like to upgrade the cam and injectors to better match the rest of my car so a re-map is essential.

I know a few people have travelled down to 1320 MINI but its just not a option for me at the moment.

Cheers.

Where abouts are you in Scotland?

M600-RKJ
3rd April 2018, 05:56 PM
Rob had his trailered down to 1320 to get a fair bit of work down a year and a bit ago. From memory the price was really reasonable as well.

MINI William
3rd April 2018, 06:54 PM
From all the things I’ve heard and seen to do with 1320 I wouldn’t look past them. For R53 tuning they are regarded as the best. I was going to take my R53 down for some work before deciding to part ways with it.

Turkeez
3rd April 2018, 07:15 PM

Cheers.

Said 1320 is not an option

MINI William
3rd April 2018, 08:21 PM
For what he’s looking for 1320 are the best. I can only recommend who I would trust

Turkeez
3rd April 2018, 08:32 PM
https://www.facebook.com/bandmcentre/ Can do the cam and injectors with a custom remap and rolling road.

https://www.facebook.com/Dc-mapping-844838882225456/ I will be going here for my remap when I eventually get the injectors fitted.

stoney
4th April 2018, 07:00 AM
Right ok I have been round a lot of the tuners with my R53 and have to say wasted a lot of money on my car trying to get it ran right and tuned with a cam and injectors. Wasted over €600 !!

I know you said 1320 is not an option but I would hold off till it's an option.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

nobbyclark
4th April 2018, 04:50 PM
Had all my R53 tuning done at Mad4Mini in Leeds. This was the reduced pulley, camshaft, injectors etc. They also fitted a new model supercharger. Suited me as I was working nearby at the time and could drive down from Perth and leave the car with them for the week.

bpirie1000
4th April 2018, 08:36 PM
Daniel at dj automotive engineering... westhill based...
no rolling rd yet....

Snowcol
4th April 2018, 11:46 PM
You could try eco tune in hillington. I have not used them myself but a number of friends on the hill climb/sprint circuit have and speak very highly of them.
I have had discussions with them on the phone and they have been great with advice and very easy to chat to.
I reckon they are worth looking at. I will probably go there for a rolling road and remap in the near future.

stoney
5th April 2018, 02:17 PM
NO NO NO NO dont use Eco tune they had my mini in and ended up coming out on a standard map and a down fair amount of money.
tlod me i hd doggy injectores and thats why they could not map my ar so brought new and still no joy took to 1320 nd they mapped it in 45mins ecotune had it for 3 days

Mon the fish
5th April 2018, 03:49 PM
Is there anywhere in Scotland recommended for mapping a stock R56?

RichTea
6th April 2018, 08:59 AM
I used Ecomaps in kilwinning (Ecosse) to tune my Cooper SD.

Made 180bhp and 400nm of torque, and been happy with that over the past 18mths.

This was a custom tune with rolling road, rather than flashing a bought file on...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

c_me_swim
2nd May 2018, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Everything is on hold at the minute as I have a issue with the car. It could be a very expensive one. Once I get it sorted i think i'll wait a while and give 1320 a call for a chat.

Snowcol
2nd May 2018, 11:06 PM
I used Ecomaps in kilwinning (Ecosse) to tune my Cooper SD.

Made 180bhp and 400nm of torque, and been happy with that over the past 18mths.

This was a custom tune with rolling road, rather than flashing a bought file on...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have been in touch with Kenny at Ecomaps. Will be taking my R53 MCS there on Saturday for a rolling road and some diagnostics. Depending on what he finds, health of the engine etc, he will work out what map would suit and I will go back and get it set up. I will let you know how it goes.

Julz
4th May 2018, 12:53 PM
Is there anywhere in Scotland recommended for mapping a stock R56?

I just got mine back from B&M yesterday and holy moly it shifts, seriously shifts!!! I also have a RenaultSport Megane which is rather enthusiastic under acceleration and the mini just couldn’t come close but now, the Megane will seriously be left behind, honestly, it’s THAT good (can you tell I like it??) [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

bpirie1000
4th May 2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Everything is on hold at the minute as I have a issue with the car. It could be a very expensive one. Once I get it sorted i think i'll wait a while and give 1320 a call for a chat.
What'sup with the car buddy...

Have spanners.... will fix.......

Snowcol
5th May 2018, 08:38 AM
I just got mine back from B&M yesterday and holy moly it shifts, seriously shifts!!! I also have a RenaultSport Megane which is rather enthusiastic under acceleration and the mini just couldn’t come close but now, the Megane will seriously be left behind, honestly, it’s THAT good (can you tell I like it??) [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sounds like they have transformed your car. Did they Dyno it? Any idea about before and after power? Do you have a standard engine or did you change injectors, cam etc? Really interested in getting more from my car without the expense of injectors etc��

Julz
6th May 2018, 10:01 PM
Sounds like they have transformed your car. Did they Dyno it? Any idea about before and after power? Do you have a standard engine or did you change injectors, cam etc? Really interested in getting more from my car without the expense of injectors etcí*½í¸€

No it hasn’t been dyno’d but the acceleration is crazy. Douglas had a rough estimate in power increase but in my excitement I totally forgot what it was. It’s a standard engine but with larger pistons as I had to get the engine rebuilt last year (also by B&M). I did get a bigger intercooler fitted as well this time. I honestly can’t describe just what a difference there is in this car, being able to overtake in 6th is bizarre. Accelerating often requires me hanging on for dear life, to the steering wheel and my driving license! [emoji38][emoji16][emoji16]

stoney
6th May 2018, 11:06 PM
Sounds like they have transformed your car. Did they Dyno it? Any idea about before and after power? Do you have a standard engine or did you change injectors, cam etc? Really interested in getting more from my car without the expense of injectors etc[emoji3]This is the r56 model not r53 !!
I remap on a r53dose not make a huge difference in power trust me I have done it

Mon the fish
7th May 2018, 08:28 AM
^^^ as Rob says, R53s are old-fashioned engines (i.e. non-turbo) and need tuned the old-fashioned mechanical way.

Unfortunately this is also the expensive way.

ELFMAN
7th May 2018, 09:36 AM
Having run both a tuned R53 (JCW 210 upgrade + bits) and my current R56 (JCW Stage 1 + bits + remap), I can verify that getting big power from an R56 is shooty-in compared to the R53, and (relatively) a whole lot cheaper. Comparing tuning (and tuners) of the two is misleading. As Mon said, R53 is ‘Old Skool’ and the mods required reflect this. Obviously it’s achievable - and great fun - but more involved mechanically and financially.

Julz
7th May 2018, 10:17 AM
My R53 had the BBR220 remap with bigger pulley as well as an uprated cam which was done purely because the engine overheated on the way to BBR and the cylinder head had to be skimmed so did that while they were in there.

stoney
7th May 2018, 02:44 PM
My R53 had the BBR220 remap with bigger pulley as well as an uprated cam which was done purely because the engine overheated on the way to BBR and the cylinder head had to be skimmed so did that while they were in there.Yep when fitting a cam you should remap :)

Mon the fish
7th May 2018, 05:51 PM
You can run the milder Newman without a remap, it has been done but there's no point really - you need the remap to unlock what the cam gives you