PDA

View Full Version : Key Fob // Locking //Alarm

weefossy
8th March 2018, 09:13 PM
We haven't been using The Beast very much so we are having problems opening the door, and switching off the alarm. Door will open with the key OK. Car starts no problem, once I am in.
Questions are:-

How long a journey is required to charge up the key?
Is there any other way to charge up the key?
Could we need another fob? Are they prone to this problem?

Any help appreciated.

stoney
8th March 2018, 10:16 PM
I dont know if it would work but they make these wireless charging pads for phone now i can not see it being any different from that so you could get 1 of them and sit the key on to try
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Wireless-Charging-compatible-devices-black/dp/B01GFL6MZE/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1520543675&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=Samsung+wireless+charging&psc=1

CiderFex
9th March 2018, 06:20 AM
They work on a wireless charging standard called “Qi”.
From what I’ve just found (see below) it could possibly work:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=164&t=1274714

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint of sarcasm.

MINI William
9th March 2018, 08:59 AM
Honestly don’t know Malcolm. The wireless charging pad will work as above aslong as they work on the Qi system which it looks like they do.

CiderFex
9th March 2018, 11:40 AM
This seems intriguing:

Dead Key FOB by DashboardSymbols.comhttps://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dead-key-fob/id530879057?mt=8

There is also an Android version as well.
[emoji1303]

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint of sarcasm.

Mon the fish
10th March 2018, 09:35 AM
When my spare one was flat (R53 admittedly) I unlocked the car with the good key, then used the old key to drive the car.

Charged it fine, and years later still works

weefossy
12th March 2018, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. Will first try to give the car a good run and see if that works and also buy one of the pads. If it don't work, I can use it for my phone.

weefossy
17th March 2018, 05:14 PM
Bought a Qi pad, but no luck. The pad doesn't sense the key fob when placed on it. Indicator light should turn blue, but nothing is happening. Worth a try though. Might try and go a wee run tomorrow, if weather is OK. How many miles should it take? Any ideas?

Wul100
20th March 2018, 09:43 AM
Bought a Qi pad, but no luck. The pad doesn't sense the key fob when placed on it. Indicator light should turn blue, but nothing is happening. Worth a try though. Might try and go a wee run tomorrow, if weather is OK. How many miles should it take? Any ideas?

put your phone on the pad first to activate charging?

CiderFex
20th March 2018, 11:37 AM
Malcolm, I have a cordless Qi charging “stone” which I will have with me when I’m up for The Fools Forage.
We can try to see if that works instead.
[emoji1303]

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

weefossy
22nd March 2018, 07:58 PM
Thanks Wul and Pete, appreciate your help.

Harmchar
27th June 2018, 01:44 PM
I've just added one of those dash cam/sat nav/android mirror devices and instead of using the rubber bands supplied for fitting, I stripped down the rear view mirror and mounted the new device to the carcass of the rear view mirror. I have the auto dim rear view mirror so disconnected the wires, built everything back up and went for a drive. Central locking stopped working, so I reconnected the wires in the mirror and working again, just a heads up that the sensor for the key fob is in the rear view mirror if charging is not the issue for others reading this thread looking for reasons their fobs stopped working.
Might post up some pics on new thread of how the mirror looks in case someone else fancies fitting same.

CiderFex
27th June 2018, 01:54 PM
In my R53 GP I had a new rear view mirror installed and I had to have the key recoded due to the sensor for the key being in the mirror.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.