PDA

View Full Version : 200 cell sports cat - emissions light

Harmchar
7th March 2018, 12:34 PM
Really fancy sticking on a sports cat on the r56 MCS. Anybody know if this will defo light up the emissions light on dash?

callumrobson
7th March 2018, 01:45 PM
Yes it will come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney
7th March 2018, 02:20 PM
yes it will i did it on my R55 clubman but if you get the car maped then they will turn it off for you

Harmchar
7th March 2018, 04:01 PM
Okay cheers. So might get a cheepo sports cat and remap rather than a miltek or cobra item.

stoney
7th March 2018, 08:09 PM
I had the milltek on my R55 JCW highly rate it would not cheap out as if you map it the chance is it will just give out buy cheap buy twice I find is often the case with car parts and also can always be moved on 2nd had for good money also if your quick road runner have a 15% sale on just now !!!

CiderFex
8th March 2018, 08:56 AM
I was told at 1320 that sports cats are just not worth the hassle and, after they’d dyno’d loads of MINI’s with them fitted, the OEM Cat actually gives out the most bhp.

...plus after showing me the box of 40+ knackered sports cats that they’d taken off MINI’s o’er the previous few months it swayed me to personally not bother with one.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint of sarcasm.

MINI William
8th March 2018, 10:17 AM
I had a decat on my R56 GP, loved it and would go the same way again with an R56 S/JCW

CiderFex
8th March 2018, 11:34 AM
I had a decat on my R56 GP, loved it and would go the same way again with an R56 S/JCW

That did sound awesome.
[emoji41]

MINI William
8th March 2018, 11:35 AM
That did sound awesome.
[emoji41]

Thanks Pete. It did sound great, popped and banged brilliantly as well. The map helped as well

Mon the fish
8th March 2018, 12:31 PM
Thanks Pete. It did sound great, popped and banged brilliantly as well. The map helped as well

Were you ever concerned about the potential insurance implications?

MINI William
8th March 2018, 12:36 PM
Were you ever concerned about the potential insurance implications?

What implecations? All modifications where declared

Mon the fish
8th March 2018, 01:13 PM
Running a car built with a cat, without one is illegal is it not?

stoney
8th March 2018, 02:13 PM
I was told at 1320 that sports cats are just not worth the hassle and, after they’d dyno’d loads of MINI’s with them fitted, the OEM Cat actually gives out the most bhp.

...plus after showing me the box of 40+ knackered sports cats that they’d taken off MINI’s o’er the previous few months it swayed me to personally not bother with one.

This is true of the R53 but no so much the GEN 2 range 👍

CiderFex
8th March 2018, 02:18 PM
This is true of the R53 but no so much the GEN 2 range [emoji106]

Ta.
[emoji1303]
I keep forgetting about the R53/R56 differences.
[emoji30]

M600-RKJ
8th March 2018, 03:25 PM
I personally don't see the point in a sports cat. From what I've been told the emissions are still too high to pass an Mot which in my eyes would be the only benefit of still having a cat in the first place.

As for issues with the rozzers I have heard of people being stopped and tested. But in my town there at least 15 decatted 5pot focus St's and none of them ever seem to be bothered by the police

Mon the fish
8th March 2018, 03:59 PM
I personally don't see the point in a sports cat. From what I've been told the emissions are still too high to pass an Mot which in my eyes would be the only benefit of still having a cat in the first place.

As for issues with the rozzers I have heard of people being stopped and tested. But in my town there at least 15 decatted 5pot focus St's and none of them ever seem to be bothered by the police

Lucky if I even see plod where I live... I think the issue would be if you were to be stopped (if plod can be bothered with the paperwork) is that I don't think he can check emissions at the roadside on a Friday night. He can however look under your car to see if the cat is at least visible - if you had a dummy cat in place I suspect you would be more likely to get away with it than an obvious de-cat pipe

Harmchar
8th March 2018, 06:33 PM
Looking at the differing views on offer has made me wonder if I should forget about a decat or sports cat and just go for a remap with an Alta intake.. plans was not achieve mega hp, but accentuate the pops and crackles. Best part of owning an S. Got to get some coin from wife now.

M600-RKJ
8th March 2018, 08:08 PM
Looking at the differing views on offer has made me wonder if I should forget about a decat or sports cat and just go for a remap with an Alta intake.. plans was not achieve mega hp, but accentuate the pops and crackles. Best part of owning an S. Got to get some coin from wife now.

Nowhere near as good as decat (sound wise) but getting Rod of the centre resonator does improve the sound a good bit.

My last S I had Jcw back box, no resonator and I really liked how it sounded.

This one I'm leaning more towards a custom valved system

stoney
8th March 2018, 10:05 PM
What i would run if i owned the following cars

R56 Hatch all /standard clubman r55 decat
R55 clubman jcw sport cat de cat it to harsh imo
R53 oem cat

MINI William
9th March 2018, 09:07 AM
Got to agree with Ali. Don’t be put off by a decat or even sports cat as they will give you what your looking for. Only other alternative if you don’t want to go down the decat/sports cat route now would be a full JCW exhaust, that will liven things up a bit but not as much as a decat

The Alta intake is brilliant and rather addictive, in terms of always wanting to hear it.

digi
9th March 2018, 08:30 PM
i went a slightly different rout by going stealth cat , basically cut the oem cat open removed the pre cat and welded back up , i get no eml and cat looks stock

M600-RKJ
9th March 2018, 09:52 PM
i went a slightly different rout by going stealth cat , basically cut the oem cat open removed the pre cat and welded back up , i get no eml and cat looks stock

I am quite tempted to do that because I have a spare stock cat from my last mini. I presumed you would get the engine light though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also gunna add my two cents on intake I've had my aem intake on both of my n14 Ss and done about 50k between the 2. I personally prefer the design of the aem because the intake is shielded from the heat of the engine bay by being enclosed. I also think the aem looks better. As for quality for the price of the intake there are a few quality issues.

digi
14th March 2018, 10:46 PM
no engine light even before my remap and its mot friendly as well . please note its not anywhere near as good as a decat

Harmchar
15th March 2018, 12:00 AM
I've chickened out on the intake side and ordered a Pipercross panel filter that will sit in the stock box avoiding the heat issues of Alta. AEM item does look good, but can't justify that type of coin on family runaround. Next spend should probably be a metal bodied blow off/recirc valve to replace plastic item.

ELFMAN
26th March 2018, 12:37 PM
I have a Milltek downpipe & sports cat into the ‘Stage 1’ JCW system. The downpipe definitely changed the ‘tone’ of the exhaust and made it sound a bit more purposeful. Did trigger the emissions light after every few hundred miles, but ‘cured’ that when it was remapped. Never had any emissions issues at MOT time though. Quite pricey though. ALTA induction is great fun - like having Darth Vader under your bonnet - I looked for him but only found a dead Ewok. Again. No ‘heat issues’ with the Alta either, still producing the power it should. Removed the grille from the scoop, or was that the girl from the soup? Good Luck whatever you go for.

Harmchar
25th November 2018, 11:49 AM
Fitted decat as recommended. Think I might have damaged the flexi pipe in the process. Just another job to do. Like the mega loud backfire noise on lift off but now have oil blow coming out tail pipes. Will have to do some checks to see if valve stem seals, turbo or pistons are failing. Can only imagine that valves are covered in gunk/carbon due to bad design of crankcase recirculation. Was hoping next purchase would be larger inter cooler, but oil problem will have to be dealt with first.