PDA

View Full Version : CVT Oil Change....Anyone done it at home?

Wul100
16th February 2018, 09:15 AM
Anyone had a bash at changing the CVT Oil (2001-2006) at home with axle stands etc? Was it easy enough or a complete mare and better to get a garage to do it for me?

Seen these instructions and seems not too tricky: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/how-tos/a/mini-cooper-2001-2006-how-to-change-cvt-transmission-fluid-431057

Cheers:cool:

badwolf340
16th February 2018, 06:57 PM
Anyone had a bash at changing the CVT Oil (2001-2006) at home with axle stands etc? Was it easy enough or a complete mare and better to get a garage to do it for me?

Seen these instructions and seems not too tricky: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/how-tos/a/mini-cooper-2001-2006-how-to-change-cvt-transmission-fluid-431057

Cheers:cool:
Never done one but as you say seems not a difficult job to carry out ,so best of luck and keep us up to date with how you get on

callumrobson
17th February 2018, 10:19 AM
It’s a very easy job, worth doing yourself if you have all the appropriate tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wul100
17th February 2018, 10:55 AM
It’s a very easy job, worth doing yourself if you have all the appropriate tools

Thanks. Did you fill it from the top plug? IE without the filling set?

callumrobson
18th February 2018, 02:38 PM
Yes I filled it from the top plug. I fed a pipe from the top of the engine to the fill plug and had a funnel at the end of the pipe. No need for fancy pumps etc [emoji106]

Mon the fish
18th February 2018, 08:42 PM
^^^ are you referring to the CVT box, or the Getrag on the R53?

If it's the same as the R53 box it's a piece of cake. Make sure you can undo the fill plug before undoing the drain plug, and if you're doing it on axle stands instead of a ramp try and do it on a slope so that the car is level if you're only jacking up the front.

I added a couple of foot of hose onto the bottom of a filter funnel to make it easier to fill. Pour in until oil comes out the fill plug.

If the CVT is different, and I suspect it might be, then I have no idea ;)

Wul100
19th February 2018, 04:12 PM
^^^ are you referring to the CVT box, or the Getrag on the R53?

If it's the same as the R53 box it's a piece of cake. Make sure you can undo the fill plug before undoing the drain plug, and if you're doing it on axle stands instead of a ramp try and do it on a slope so that the car is level if you're only jacking up the front.

I added a couple of foot of hose onto the bottom of a filter funnel to make it easier to fill. Pour in until oil comes out the fill plug.

If the CVT is different, and I suspect it might be, then I have no idea ;)

It is the CVT i'm doing. Like the idea of the hose and funnel - would save having to remove the battery etc. Good shout re checking the fill plug first too lol - that would just be my luck - drain out the oil and discover a snapped allen key in the fill plug! :D

ianking
20th February 2018, 01:29 PM
Ive done it on a 2004 CVT Cooper some years ago.
Its a doddle to do.

Like others have said, fill from the top with the aid of a hose. CVT fluid was around £70 at the time. I'm pretty sure it used quite a lot for the oil change.