PDA

View Full Version : engine sounding rough

chillax
11th January 2018, 08:49 PM
OK, getting a bit concerned! Started car the other morning ( R56cooper) and she seemed to be really noisy. Noise is like a rattle when stationary. When on the move, sometimes feels like there's a flat spot around 2000rpm Also noticed when stationary, if pressing the throttle slightly to around 1500rpm, then backing off slightly and pressing pedal again, its like she misses slightly? On the move, accelerating the engine sounds kinda rattly, bassy and rough.

She still goes like stink, but deffo something not right

Timing chain/guides etc all changed less than 10 thousand miles ago, as she had this same rattle then only not as loud. Changing the chain etc didn't cure it, but now its a lot more noticeable. No engine smokeor anythong like that. Any ideas?

MINI William
11th January 2018, 09:02 PM
Speak to Douglas at B&M can recommend him highly enough. He won’t lead you up the garden path either

chillax
11th January 2018, 09:12 PM
Ta William and thanks for the info on the phone. Tired the holding the button tip but no click heard so looking like a poss code issue as you described. Will try and hook up with Douglas to see about the two probs.

chillax
13th January 2018, 04:01 PM
Well, had a chat with Tim at east coast garage who deal with minis round here and the outcome is not good. Had the car in to have them listen to it and they think there is a problem with the timing chain/guides. I had these changes when I first bought her as a precaution, but they need to get the covers off and have a look at what's going on. The poly v belt checked out fine so she's to go in on Thursday for them to check further. Been advised not to drive her until then as it could cause major damage so gutted. Will let you all know how it goes but for now all is not good in Carly's world. If there's a fault with the parts fitted they said thatll be covered so hoping that's the case.

M600-RKJ
13th January 2018, 04:53 PM
Was it a proper mini timing chain kit. I had mine done back in feb or march. And all has been good for about 12000 miles now. Car was only 29k miles when I picked it up very surprised the chain was slack

chillax
14th January 2018, 05:37 PM
Yeah, as far as I'm aware it was mate. I've done 10 thousand miles or possibly less since it was fitted although noticed at the time the noise was still present after getting it done (the death rattle). The noise it has just now sounds the same although a lot louder, and car seems to miss when you blip the throttle.

Will see what garage says, although if it turns out the guides etc have failed already then it may well be a case of getting it fixed then sadly waving bye bye to Carly. Really don't want to but IMO its a design fault that A: should never have been designed in the first place by BMW and B: should have been redesigned when the fault became a common issue. Its a shame for what is otherwise a cracking wee engine.

chillax
20th January 2018, 02:19 PM
Well, after removing covers etc to check all the timing chain related stuff everything appears to be fine. The car hasn't made the noise since they've had it, so mechanic thinks may have been sticking valve. Can't really tell if the noise is back as only drove it home and put it back in the garage as I can't really drive/move about at the moment due to surgery I had on Friday. So will need to wait and see if the noise is indeed gone or if it's still there.

badwolf340
20th January 2018, 08:30 PM
Hopefully all sorted