PDA

View Full Version : Quattro W@#kers

M600-RKJ
13th December 2017, 01:56 PM
I really wish bmw would put out an advert just to show how dim-witted a system quattro really is. Just been to town and the amount of people running about in S model audis thinking they are hero's because they have quattro really bugs me. Especially when it's a small audi like the S3 or s1 where it's not even proper quattro it's a fwd car that once you are stuck in the snow it will spin the back wheels and most likely not get you out.

Rant over

Mon the fish
13th December 2017, 02:47 PM
Lol.

I know what you mean though. These people don't understand that traction does not equal grip.

I also detest the pretence that having a tdi S-line is the same as a full-fat S/RS. It just isn't, so don't pretend it is!

M600-RKJ
13th December 2017, 03:00 PM
There are people in my village and they decided that the roads were bad because their 4x4 was struggling. A 4x4 is as good as a unicycle if you've summer tyres on some people are clueless. We have a semi steep road up to the village hall and all the people with 4wd said they were struggling, well my mini with a good set of winter tyres managed no problem at all

CiderFex
13th December 2017, 04:13 PM
Aye, most of the driving problems at this, and any time of year, are driver related not vehicle related.
I once drove 1499 home through 4” of snow with Summer tyres on and I never had an issue.
VERY gentle acceleration and braking and all was good.
My main worry was ragging off the front spoiler !!!

Sent via The X using Voodoo

Mon the fish
13th December 2017, 04:21 PM
My R53 makes an epic snowplough :D

Wifey drives to work in a 530d auto - everything you don't want in the winter; RWD, diesel, and auto. With winter tyres on it's fine, no need for 4x4.

CiderFex
14th December 2017, 04:41 AM
She’s braver than me then.
[emoji23]
Just to prove that a Quattro can handle snow if equipped with the right tyres for the conditions...

https://youtu.be/25u80sQkkkM

M600-RKJ
14th December 2017, 10:29 AM
https://youtu.be/HvqQuC_8VrM

Proof quattro is dim-witted. I know it's a BMW test but even in real life tests quattro cant hold a candle to xdrive. Because quattro is electronic it needs to detect slip before it will distribute power. Xdrive being mechanical senses lowered grip immediately and compensates

- - - Updated - - -

Big Gordy
14th December 2017, 02:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLGUDtcaTw
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLGUDtcaTw)
Quattro v xDrive viewed from audi's perspective :Whistle: and yes I have an A4 Quattro thats not an S or RS but just a damn fine motorcar :moonie:
I believe mines has the Torsen transfer box with a 40/60% front/rear permanent power split.:thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

Xdrive being mechanical senses lowered grip immediately and compensates

And who was it they pinched that from again..........ahh thats right.........Land Rover :p

mikeswagon
14th December 2017, 02:22 PM
When did it start snowing on here again???

I think it might seem worse up in these parts for Audi, we've got a lot of Audis (and a fair few w*****s..... big in Oil???)... strangely enough, none of the hills around me have got rollers at the bottom of them.....

It's at this time of year I miss the hippo, my S reg Freelander with the 1.8 K series. Don't think it had power to spin the wheels but just kept on going.

Mon the fish
14th December 2017, 03:45 PM
When did it start snowing on here again???

I think it might seem worse up in these parts for Audi, we've got a lot of Audis (and a fair few w*****s..... big in Oil???)... strangely enough, none of the hills around me have got rollers at the bottom of them.....

It's at this time of year I miss the hippo, my S reg Freelander with the 1.8 K series. Don't think it had power to spin the wheels but just kept on going.

I've lost count of the number of white Audi SUV things round Alford. Almost like a uniform round here for some folk

mikeswagon
14th December 2017, 05:12 PM
I've lost count of the number of white Audi SUV things round Alford. Almost like a uniform round here for some folk

I know, they're almost as common as Minis.....

CiderFex
14th December 2017, 10:11 PM
It’s shocking the amount of MINI’s that there are on the roads up in Scotlandshire.
Every single time I venture up there in GP1499 I’ve either got 6 or 7 of the wee buggers in front and behind me when I’m out for a drive or if I park up at a show I end up being completely surrounded by the bloody things.....

MINI William
14th December 2017, 11:31 PM
I drove the R53 down to Gala with in the snow earlier in the year with semi slicks. Never had a bit bother

Big Gordy
15th December 2017, 09:23 AM
Sure I read somewhere that Audi outsell BMW by 3 to 1......:Whistle:

M600-RKJ
15th December 2017, 11:32 AM
Sure I read somewhere that Audi outsell BMW by 3 to 1......:Whistle:

No issue with audis plenty of good reasons to buy one especially the avants. My only issue is with the people who buy a quattro and think it's a defender. The people that decide the roads are too bad to drive on because their S3 struggled to get out of their drive

Mon the fish
15th December 2017, 12:03 PM
I think it's more the attitude of idiots - "ohmygod I live in the suburbs which I think is in the countryside so I need quattro, that'll stop me from crashing so I can continue to drive like an idiot in my tdi with 20" wheels which I pretend is the fast model"

4wd is handy for those who need it - but 90% of those who have it don't need it, and also don't understand that 4wd will not stop you crashing if you take a corner too quickly.

FWIW I'm not keen on either current BMWs or Audis - the styling is far too needlessly aggressive, chintzy and contrived for my tastes, and I want a N/A 6-cylinder with a manual gearbox which you can't get any more :frown: IMO the saloon car hit a high point with the E39 5 series that I don't think has been matched since

Big Gordy
18th December 2017, 09:33 AM
No issue with audis plenty of good reasons to buy one especially the avants. My only issue is with the people who buy a quattro and think it's a defender. The people that decide the roads are too bad to drive on because their S3 struggled to get out of their drive

its an Avant I have :smilewinkgrin:
I just meant that was probably why there are more twat Audi drivers than BMW drivers at the moment :thumbs up:

- - - Updated - - -

in my tdi with 20" wheels which I pretend is the fast model".......this could be me....lol....although I only have 19" wheels :smilewinkgrin:

4wd is handy for those who need it - but 90% of those who have it don't need it, and also don't understand that 4wd will not stop you crashing if you take a corner too quickly. all those statements are true....and I admit I don't need 4WD I just fancied it :yes nod:

FWIW I'm not keen on either current BMWs or Audis - the styling is far too needlessly aggressive, chintzy and contrived for my tastes, and I want a N/A 6-cylinder with a manual gearbox which you can't get any more :frown: IMO the saloon car hit a high point with the E39 5 series that I don't think has been matched since I liked the early M3's from BMW but thats about it for me with beemers where as I've always liked the shape of the A4's, 80's, 90's, ets from Audi.

thechief
20th December 2017, 02:28 PM
Winter tyres are a glorious creation. Don't think I'd risk a winter without them now.

Here's my winterised fleet

http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/board/uploads/monthly_2017_12/D66F6AA6-6161-4A34-B023-A5031A9EB1C3.thumb.jpeg.679ea002e04027b6f2e18ad62e 01e2a3.jpeg

Dobboy
22nd December 2017, 09:32 AM
I really wish bmw would put out an advert just to show how dim-witted a system quattro really is. Just been to town and the amount of people running about in S model audis thinking they are hero's because they have quattro really bugs me. Especially when it's a small audi like the S3 or s1 where it's not even proper quattro it's a fwd car that once you are stuck in the snow it will spin the back wheels and most likely not get you out.

Rant over

The S1 is permanent 4wd, the ratio of power changes from 60/40 to 50/50 depending on front wheel grip, it’s a revision of the Haldex system.

It’s mechanically based however it can brake the slipping wheel(s) on an individual axle so it can send all the power to the wheels with best grip, probably similar to the electric diff on GP2?

Put the same tyres on the Quattro as any FWD car and the Quattro will out grip easily.

There’s a few videos on YouTube with S1’s getting driven fast on snow with appropriate tyres on, have a look and you’ll see how good it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk