PDA

View Full Version : MINI Fails MOT - Passes on Re-sit!

Steph
15th October 2004, 06:04 AM
Owner shocked and stunned by news that pride and joy failed test.
'I had this complete sinking sensation in my stomach'. Fortunately owners credit card saved from disaster by warranty (5 days before expiry). The self-levelling headlights didn't self-level:(

On the bright side, he came back washed and hoovered with balanced wheels:)

Heather
15th October 2004, 06:09 AM
OOhhh no! Mines is due her first MOT in December two weeks before she is out of warranty. I may get the MOT done before the warranty expires!!:D

Steph
15th October 2004, 06:18 AM
Thats why I got it done this week - just in case! Though I am gonna buy the extended warranty cos I haven't done many miles and sods law says something will go kaput..

duncan
15th October 2004, 06:19 AM
Gulp, mines due on the 1st of January.

Better get it done in the month before, just in case.

Hope you're back on the road again.

sleepyrascal
15th October 2004, 09:22 AM
I had a problem with self leveling ... or rather.. lack of self leveling. Just had to have the one lamp replaced though.

3GGG
15th October 2004, 04:14 PM
How much does the extended warranty cost?

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 04:52 PM
you can buy the extended warranty after purchasing the car?

Heather
15th October 2004, 05:10 PM
Ooooo! Extended warranty! Where's iain when you need him??!:p

GAJ
15th October 2004, 05:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini

Ooooo! Extended warranty! Where's iain when you need him??!:p

NO! NO! NO! JCW S, Black/Black with a new warranty!;) Go on, go on, go on, go on!:)

Duncan Stewart
15th October 2004, 08:41 PM
Ok my turn for a stupid question :I - what are self leveling headlights? I have to turn a knob in my Cooper to lower the headlights if I've got a heavy load in the back - thus manually leveling the headlights.

Gismo
15th October 2004, 08:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart
Ok my turn for a stupid question :I - what are self leveling headlights?
Exactly what it says on the tin, self levelling headlights are supplied with Xenons, it's also mandatory to have washers fitted :)

Steph
15th October 2004, 09:45 PM
One years extended warranty is £390. I don't know if you have to buy it before existing warranty expires, but I am assuming that. You should get a 'reminder' when your 3 year warranty is near expiry (not that I did!)
Self-levelling headlights - I didn't know they were. I do not have Xenons, just the standard headlights. I think its just one headlight they are ordering. Mini is booked back in on Tuesday to get it fitted.

The Dogfather
15th October 2004, 09:56 PM
All MINI do self leveling I think, mine certainly move down then up when I switch them on!

seany
15th October 2004, 11:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

All MINI do self leveling I think, mine certainly move down then up when I switch them on!

i think it is just the cooper s, that go up and down.

GAJ
15th October 2004, 11:39 PM
My Cooper does it too! Perhaps it has delusions of grandeur!;)

Sheilz
15th October 2004, 11:50 PM
my lights go up and down too so it must be all minis that do this.

3GGG
15th October 2004, 11:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steph

One years extended warranty is £390. I don't know if you have to buy it before existing warranty expires, but I am assuming that. You should get a 'reminder' when your 3 year warranty is near expiry (not that I did!)

I wonder what the maximum number of years they will cover - 4/5 years old MINI?

What does it cover and more importantly what does it not cover?

X30YES
18th October 2004, 11:25 PM
On my new S its the Xenon's that self level ,the other cooper I had had a manual sw !

Mini Me
19th October 2004, 12:37 AM
All the headlamps on MINI'S are self calibrating ,which is why you see them rise a wee bit when you switch them on ,but only xenons are self leveling ,non xenons, you have the little switch to the right of the steering column.......
And as for extended warranty ,people it's time to change car !!!!!!!

lightbody
19th October 2004, 06:28 AM
MINI UK gave me a 4th year warranty for free on my 2001 MINI. They also told me the warranty could be extended indefinitely...

Steph
19th October 2004, 06:59 AM
Why did they give you the warranty for free? What did you do for it?

I will interrogate the garage further tomorrow re self-levelling headlights and why they think my Cooper has them. Hey - maybe they thought they were wonky xenons, and I'm getting an upgrade for nothing!
Iain, I feel you have a slight bias towards car sales. It's nothing obvious that gives it away. You have no power over me, none! (although that 5 colour paint job was gorgeous)

Mini Me
19th October 2004, 07:15 AM
Tis what i do all day ,every day,sell MINI'S,........LOVE IT.
And Steph,the seed for the dreamline car has been planted ,let the magic work.....:D

Steph
20th October 2004, 05:43 AM
Success! Got MINI's first MOT test certificate. All happy now. According to failure report my car failed on two counts (though I was only told about one!):

No offside beam pattern & too low (that explains the darkness:cool:).
Power Steering pipes at rack rub together when steering on full lock:question:.

Didn't get a chance to ask about self-levelling headlights - they delivered my car to work, saving me a journey. Such a nice dealer :)

duncan
20th October 2004, 05:56 AM
So it must have been your MINI I saw at JC's today!
I was in for parts, and it was gleaming about 2 - before the rain came down!

Think the regestration is a give away!

Steph
20th October 2004, 06:06 AM
Yup, will have been. MINIs are natural gleamers.

Registration was cool - pure luck. It's totally standard - Scott picked it out for me from the batch he had. Nice guy, but keeps trying to tempt me with new mini's. Even tried sales tactic for convertible in the DCA when the guys from JC were on a night out!

Did you get your parts? Anything out of the ordinary?

duncan
20th October 2004, 06:19 AM
It wasn't anything special, someone kindly scratched the black plastic wheel arch, so I bought a new one. Luckily there was one in stock.

It was £7 so I'm not too upset - just happy it wasn't the paintwork.

The days of special things are over - I'm waiting till i get a new one for some more toys!

Steph
20th October 2004, 06:31 AM
I think I've been fortunate, not had any dents or scratches. Though I have started to notice one or two stone chips.

Hmm, I'm thinking that when/if I get the urge to get a new mini, that I'll just get some accessories - enough for people to think I have a new car but without have to pay a couple of grand in VAT. Maybe even a new colour, though I am very partial to red. I'm determined to have a long term relationship with my MINI!