PDA

View Full Version : GoMini Magazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......!!!!

Wul
15th October 2004, 12:56 AM
Is it just me or is this magazine getting worse?

Apart from featuring the odd readers car with good mods (eh Julz, BS & Co?) I found almost every feature this issue was based around a company's demo car or a glorified advert portraying to be an article.

Also the articles don't really go very in-depth and are all a bit general.

........or maybe it's just me :clown:

Discuss.

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 01:06 AM
its a sh*te mag. i reckon the only cars in that mag that have been financed by the owners own cash is Julz and BS. And even then i have suspiscions about illegal funding ;)

you have to be a spoilt wee sh*te to get into that mag.

just by looking at it, you can tell its one of those 'collector / enthusiast' upper class ****-core mags. i refuse to buy another copy until real modifiers are included.

people always slag of mags like MAx Power and Fast Car, the problem is that the cars featured in there are attainable by the general public, which is a good thing, coupled with usually one company demo car at the back of the mag. The cars featured in GoMini are mostly company cars that have had thousands spent on by private investment. The image of the mag glorifies the anal / inbred / clique nature of the mini2 forums.

*rant over*

Burple
15th October 2004, 01:17 AM
Oi!!!

I'm the one that does the ranting around here!!
heh heh heh :D but I'll let you have one.... ;)

Go KJ... Go KJ... Go KJ.... <does the little arm-dance-thing>

FunkyMINI
15th October 2004, 01:17 AM
Is there any other Mini orientated magazines out there?
C

Steve74
15th October 2004, 01:23 AM
There's only so much you can show in a Mag focussing on one car! I dont see it lasting long.

Mini Cruiser
15th October 2004, 01:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

its a sh*te mag. i reckon the only cars in that mag that have been financed by the owners own cash is Julz and BS. And even then i have suspiscions about illegal funding ;)

you have to be a spoilt wee sh*te to get into that mag.

just by looking at it, you can tell its one of those 'collector / enthusiast' upper class ****-core mags. i refuse to buy another copy until real modifiers are included.

people always slag of mags like MAx Power and Fast Car, the problem is that the cars featured in there are attainable by the general public, which is a good thing, coupled with usually one company demo car at the back of the mag. The cars featured in GoMini are mostly company cars that have had thousands spent on by private investment. The image of the mag glorifies the anal / inbred / clique nature of the mini2 forums.

*rant over*

For example why wasnt mine on the cover instead of the pionner cars! :D They do have alot of company cars in there mags yes, i 2 think there is not enough privately owned MINIs featured, but its not like maxpower n fastcar that feature EVERY make and model of car, theres not 10000000 MINIs out there modified. Its a new mag, every new mag will have its hicups.

Seriously tho, the last mag wasnt as good as the others no, Instead of posting your argument on forums and bitching like a child, why not try e-mailing go mini with your concerns? They can only learn from criticism.

And saying you have to be a spoil **** to get in the mag is the MOST stupid statement ive heard all day. Grow up!

Steve, and thats why mini magazine and mini world have lastest this long then.....hum hum......noted :approve::mad:

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 01:32 AM
Saying you have to be a spoilt brat isnt the stupidist comment. Last thing i want to see is some kids smug face in a mag featuring his/her car that their folks paid for.

Where is the sense of achievement in that? sh*t, i'd rather shed skin and blood to work for my cash to spend on my car and have that greater sense of satisfaction. Wouldnt you?

Steve74
15th October 2004, 01:32 AM
Cos there are many more owners and therefore a larger number of cars/ target audience to buy the mag. I hope it does last though as seeing any business failing is not nice.

sh@z
15th October 2004, 01:40 AM
easy now guys all gettin a bit heated in here lol.

Gomini is a new mag yes, but they seem to have a lot of resources to review project cars and such like all over the shop, so why not put that effort into reviewing ppls cars and how they modify their minis and such like... surely they know as much as we do how large the mini scene is becoming.

Where is the sense of achievement in that? sh*t, i'd rather shed skin and blood to work for my cash to spend on my car and have that greater sense of satisfaction. Wouldnt you?

Easy now mate, u cant paing everyone with the same brush, everyone to their own, and would you turn down having all the mods u want for ur car paid for by one person or another :p lol..

I reckon they just need to put more emphasis on PEOPLES cars and less on development cars, it'll just end up showing the same thing every month and not last. Though one good thing i guess is that you can see what new things companies are doing to the mini but hey gotta be some benefits lol.

cant we all just be friends?!?!?!!?!? :cool: lol

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 01:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Cruiser

Steve, and thats why mini magazine and mini world have lastest this long then.....hum hum......noted :approve::mad:

well, the mini has been around for decades, so eventually their owners will die also. lol.

*tongue in cheek*

and Shaz, if someone gave me cash in a lump sum of course i'd spend it on the car. But i wouldnt feel the sense of achievement in it. its funny as hell seeing these middle aged folk think to themselves 'mothers car' or 'dads car' when really i got my ass a job and bought that pimp ride myself.

sh@z
15th October 2004, 01:49 AM
and Shaz, if someone gave me cash in a lump sum of course i'd spend it on the car. But i wouldnt feel the sense of achievement in it. its funny as hell seeing these middle aged folk think to themselves 'mothers car' or 'dads car' when really i got my ass a job and bought that pimp ride myself.

Well as you know mate, i got my car as a gift from my parents, so does that put me into the same category as the smug little pr**k etc etc etc??? Careful how u categorise people ... and if i got put in that mag would it be to your envy and hatred and would u come round and *try* and gimme a do in ;) lol etc ...

No i dont have a job... as im a student and working full time isnt viable... but that doesnt mean i dont appreciate or value what i have as much as the next guy...

Hurry up and get ur car featured in the mag so u can eat ur words LOL

mikeythemini
15th October 2004, 02:07 AM
Think the mag will last - It is going monthly in the new year

Wul
15th October 2004, 02:16 AM
ooof ye! :blackeye:

Wisnae expecting this much pent up opinion to be released within an hour of posting the topic!!;)

But for my tuppence worth - i'm sure forums like these are somewhere that arguments and criticism are particularly designed for - as for email the mag direct - i recall a few people on here doing that very thing re their own articles and getting a slow response from said mag. Feel free to email them the link tho - maybe then they'll actually feature the website and not just promise to feature it!:blackeye::clown:

As for it being a new mag - well not really new now is it? nearly a year old now and published 2 monthly so they've got plenty time to find some "interesting" cars out there. A half hour spent trawling on here and MINI2 would reveal plenty motors worth featuring - ie Fontals motor on Shetland - Seany's rally replica etc etc.

Cannae say I agree with KJ but know what he means - but this topic was for a debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion, so long as it's not personal!

Play nice now;):)

macblob
15th October 2004, 02:32 AM
Think KJ has a good point.

Didnt rate the go mini mag much at all.

Think the original mini mags are far better, more interesting , with articles on how to service, fix things and just more aimed at the car enthusiast rather than at people with way to much cash to burn.

broken_brian
15th October 2004, 03:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Well as you know mate, i got my car as a gift from my parentsLOL

<cough...mummys boy....cough>

heh heh :clown::clown:

X30YES
15th October 2004, 03:37 AM
Whit's up Wul ...no Meguiars ads in the mag......:D:D:D;)

duncan
15th October 2004, 04:00 AM
Got to say IMHO its pretty bland.
I'm not really interested in American MINIs, but would like to see them featured on occasion, not every issue.

As for finding readers cars there is plenty on M2 or here that could be featured.
A lot of the hard work has already been done for them!

More features on MINI runs should be included, less features on how to ruin your mini.

On the plus side, probably the only one, it has some decent photographs.

If it goes monthly, at the same price, i for one wont be buying it.

Mini Me
15th October 2004, 04:34 AM
I'M STAYING WELL OUT OFF THIS ONE........
CANT RESIST ,MAG IS sh*t !!!!!
(CAN YOU SAY sh*t ON HERE ?)

Mini Me
15th October 2004, 04:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by iain

HA HA,THAT WILL BE A NO THEN:p:p

X30YES
15th October 2004, 04:36 AM

You just did Iain:D

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 04:56 AM
i have more respect for those that put the work in, than for those that dont.

Mini Cruiser
15th October 2004, 05:19 AM

Saying you have to be a spoilt brat isnt the stupidist comment. Last thing i want to see is some kids smug face in a mag featuring his/her car that their folks paid for.

Jealous will get you no where my dear ;)

Just because someone has there car bought for them by there parents does not make them a spoil brat. KJ i KNOW you are refuring to me and my car. You do NOT know my situation, so dont even go there. Do not judge a book by its cover and as someone else already rightly said cant paint everyone with the same brush.

Any parent who can afford to give there child as much as they possibly can, i say good on them, i will do exactly the same to my children (not that i have any yet!) if i can.

Wheres the achievment???? Ill tell you where it is. Its on my drive, its every time i look out the window, knowing i look after that car more than anything, Its knowing theres not 1 stone chip on it, or one dent, its flawless because I MADE IT SO. I pay for it to have fresh paint, I dont leave it on carparks, I dont let people eat or drink in there, I dont let people sit on the seats without a cover on them, Its MY car. Weather mummy and daddy bought it me or not. Its knowing that every since pennny i saved to go and buy a MINI (yes I saved, the day my car pulled onto my drive, was the day i was going out to BMW to order one with the money I had saved) is spent on it because i was lucky enough to have parents who bought me a car, which im am SO grateful for and would repay them that favour if i could. I would like nothing more than to be able to hand them a new car, knowing they bought me one and are still driving around in a 10 year old car because they put ME first. You've hit a MAJOR nerve with me on this one KJ, it annoys me SO MUCH, when people see it that im a spoilt t***! because im not and neither are alot of other people who are lucky enough to have there cars bought for them.

I suggest next time you think about putting your pathetic point of view on a public board, u take into consideration other peoples feelings and how upset people can get.

:disapprove:

and before you think this post is in ANY way to get your sympathy, attention, WHATEVER, BELIEVE ME its not, cause i wouldnt want it. You can shuv that where the sun dont shine dear :cool:

Heather
15th October 2004, 05:29 AM
Dont think you are the only person on this site to have their precious babies bought for them by their parents. Dont take things so personally!!!:p

macblob
15th October 2004, 05:32 AM
quote:[i]Originally posted by Mini Cruiser[/

KJ i KNOW you are refuring to me and my car.

Just an observation, but how do you know KJ is talking about you Mini Cruiser? I didnt see any names being mentioned.
Judging by your replies it just looks like your being paranoid about having been in Go Mini.
No one mentioned your name.....so why get so upset?

Mini Cruiser
15th October 2004, 05:33 AM
He linked me to this post in the first place, i think its pretty obvious....

Heather
15th October 2004, 05:42 AM
This going to turn into a personal assasination thread instead of a discussion about a magazine............:disapprove:

Mini Me
15th October 2004, 05:51 AM
OK ,I'LL HAVE MY TUPPENCE WORTH,I HAVE SOLD A LOT OF MINI'S THAT HAVE BEEN GIFTS FOR CHILDREN ,AND CAN'T REMEMBER ANY SPOILT BRATS....ALL I REMEMBER IS THE SHEER JOY OF THE HANDING OVER OF THE KEY'S,REGARDLESS OF SIRCUMSTANCE ,ANY PARENT(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)IF IN THE POSSISION ,WOULD DO THE SAME.
YOU GO GIRL !!!!

Heather
15th October 2004, 05:57 AM

SIRCUMSTANCE
Do you mean circumstance?;)

sh@z
15th October 2004, 06:12 AM
hrms i think this topic has gone a bit off the rails heh :/

duncan
15th October 2004, 06:18 AM
Sorry, but i kinda agree with KJ

If my folks spent in excess of 10K on me, i'd be well happy, and yes, i'd count myself spoiled.
Its whether they are a brat or not, is another question.

And yes, my parents bought me my first 2 cars, a 1979 Mini for 500 quid and a 1985 Fiesta at nearly 2 Grand, so i do speak ill of myself.

macblob
15th October 2004, 06:18 AM
just a tad hehehe

sh@z
15th October 2004, 06:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Sorry, but i kinda agree with KJ

If my folks spent in excess of 10K on me, i'd be well happy, and yes, i'd count myself spoiled.
Its whether they are a brat or not, is another question.

And yes, my parents bought me my first 2 cars, a 1979 Mini for 500 quid and a 1985 Fiesta at nearly 2 Grand, so i do speak ill of myself.

Yeah i do count myself as being spoilt too a bit, but then again i didnt ask for the car, or expect it....

The issue i think is that those who dont actually pay for their car, arent arrogant prats who dont appreciate what they have...

totally different things imo.

Appreciating and respecting something or what someone has done/achieved doesnt solely rely on the money put into it (including the work put in to earning the money too) .. and i think the point is been lost a bit in the to-and-fro'ing

duncan
15th October 2004, 06:27 AM
Agree with you Shaz.

There are also plenty of brats that have bought cars with their own cash, and are pretentious with it.

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 07:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Cruiser

Jealous will get you no where my dear ;)

Just because someone has there car bought for them by there parents does not make them a spoil brat. KJ i KNOW you are refuring to me and my car. You do NOT know my situation, so dont even go there. Do not judge a book by its cover and as someone else already rightly said cant paint everyone with the same brush.

Any parent who can afford to give there child as much as they possibly can, i say good on them, i will do exactly the same to my children (not that i have any yet!) if i can.

Wheres the achievment???? Ill tell you where it is. Its on my drive, its every time i look out the window, knowing i look after that car more than anything, Its knowing theres not 1 stone chip on it, or one dent, its flawless because I MADE IT SO. I pay for it to have fresh paint, I dont leave it on carparks, I dont let people eat or drink in there, I dont let people sit on the seats without a cover on them, Its MY car. Weather mummy and daddy bought it me or not. Its knowing that every since pennny i saved to go and buy a MINI (yes I saved, the day my car pulled onto my drive, was the day i was going out to BMW to order one with the money I had saved) is spent on it because i was lucky enough to have parents who bought me a car, which im am SO grateful for and would repay them that favour if i could. I would like nothing more than to be able to hand them a new car, knowing they bought me one and are still driving around in a 10 year old car because they put ME first. You've hit a MAJOR nerve with me on this one KJ, it annoys me SO MUCH, when people see it that im a spoilt t***! because im not and neither are alot of other people who are lucky enough to have there cars bought for them.

I suggest next time you think about putting your pathetic point of view on a public board, u take into consideration other peoples feelings and how upset people can get.

:disapprove:

and before you think this post is in ANY way to get your sympathy, attention, WHATEVER, BELIEVE ME its not, cause i wouldnt want it. You can shuv that where the sun dont shine dear :cool:

dude shut the **** up, just for a ****ing minute. not everything is about you for **** sake. your entire post is a personal attack on me. I never refered to you and never intentionally made it out to seem that way. you on the other hand just went all out and said it. Still i dont attack you because i have no personal agenda. As for jealous, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I thought that you paid for a large percentage of your car, so i dont know why i would be picking on you. and you're right, i dont know your situation and never claimed to, and thank **** i dont judging from your attitude.

i linked you to the ****ing post because you and Shaz were the only mini drivers on my msn that were online. i also showed my post to other folk also and some agreed and some didnt.

i made a general point of view public, and i get self conscious kids flaming me. if i was directing it at you i would have said 'her' not his or her. if i felt like that about you i'd have told you a long time ago and joined in the digs you've had against you on mini2, but i didnt.

i honestly dont give a **** about you and your car

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 07:12 AM

OK ,I'LL HAVE MY TUPPENCE WORTH,I HAVE SOLD A LOT OF MINI'S THAT HAVE BEEN GIFTS FOR CHILDREN ,AND CAN'T REMEMBER ANY SPOILT BRATS....ALL I REMEMBER IS THE SHEER JOY OF THE HANDING OVER OF THE KEY'S,REGARDLESS OF SIRCUMSTANCE ,ANY PARENT(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)IF IN THE POSSISION ,WOULD DO THE SAME.
YOU GO GIRL !!!!

car salesmen are just as bad. :D:p and yes, i'm not being serious, so please dont flame me.

sh@z
15th October 2004, 07:45 AM
umm............................

so what was the original point of the thread??

and Ian, of course i'ddo the same for my kids, but the reason behind my posts if anyone actually cared to read and attempt to understand is that these people really shouldnt be given precedence over those who actually do the work themselves to get what they have. minicruiser deserves her credit as she rightly said she saved her money to put into modifications. i dont know why she felt she needed to have a go at me.

Yeah i agree with what u say there... which was ur original point... which got a bit lost in urm... translation?? lol

I think that the cars should be shown on their own merit.. and not cos they were paid for/sponsored by/worked on by some 3rd party. Like development cars and such like which i see LOTS of in go mini. Peoples cars should be shown more of, as many have said there are SOOO many on mini2 and even on here that go mini could fill their mag with jus peoples cars, but they need to strike a balance which they obviously arent atm.

Oh well....

Kiddo's go and relax and comeback tomorrow ... i didnt see this as a personal attack on me whatsoever (KJ ya windup) and i didnt see it aimed at ANYONE else in all honesty

Mini Me
15th October 2004, 08:11 AM

YOU GO GIRL !!!!

car salesmen are just as bad. :D:p and yes, i'm not being serious, so please dont flame me.

I POSTED A HASTY RETREAT AGES AGO :p:p:p(away hiding in corner,wishing i'd never seen this thread.)
Any way ,some weather were having eh ?

Sheilz
15th October 2004, 08:34 AM
Great for ducks!:D:D:D

Wul
15th October 2004, 02:54 PM
To prove a point raised (re GoMini magazine!!:p) is a few issues back they had 4 pages solely dedicated to "real" MINI drivers, gave a description of them, their car and why they liked the mini - it was in the "regulars" section of the mag - in the last issue it wasn't even there at all!!

With the amount of advertising throughout the mag anyways why the need to make the articles the same!? It's like reading a trade magazine for MINI's. Do their readers paying £3.80 every two months not put more money into their coffers than the companies advertising in each issue? so theres a reason alone for featuring more features on real peoples MINI's than development cars.

Let's look at the facts from the last issue:

P8 - Scottish Cooper - real persons car :)
P26 - Turbo Cooper - real persons car with lots of company plugging - but worth the read for the doors :)
P40 - Custom Cooper - real persons car - works in the Oxford Plant though!
P49 - Glorified Advert (One Click)
P54 - Yawn!! Cabrio article
P62 - Glorified Advert (DLS Coop S)
P69 - Glorified Advert (JCWS - a wee bit more interesting tho)
P74 - Mike Cooper Article - could've been part of the above article.
P78 - Glorifed Advert
P84 - Thunderhill - could've been soooo much better - more pics/ stories!!
P90 - Glorified Advert

Add to that the Chipped article, PlayMini profile, exhaust how-to all of which featured one product/company and you're getting the drift - 5 articles out of 14 are real people(ish)!!

Julz
15th October 2004, 04:25 PM
Oh dear!;)

Have to agree with Wul, I think the mag is failing now, to the point that I haven't renewed my subscription and will only buy it if someone I know is featured, otherwise, there ain't much in it I could be bothered reading that hasn't been said before!:)

As for spoilt brats, not all all, lucky sods more like! Before anyone starts launching at me, EVERY penny on, in and around that car has come out of my very empty bank account, and to have a car bought for you would be a dream.

Minicruiser, I see you're getting tense, and I can understand why, but from a mutual point of view, I don't think KJ was aiming his angst at you!;) I think you're one of the role model 'lucky ones'! I read the article about you and your car and was very jealous:I, you saved up all your cash to buy your dream machine, only to have it bought for you, at least you had the cash, and what did you do with it.... what any sensible idiot would, spend it on the car!!:D What a lovely little thing it is too (just don't let Big Col see it, he has a thing for yellow!!;))

So, seeing as this thread has taken two tracks, firstly, yes the mag has deteriorated and secondly, yes I'm jealous of people who get their cars bought for them, but if they love, respect and look after their cars, fair game to the lucky buggers (it's the folks who don't get the Megs on the go that should be shot!!:eek:)

End of;)

Monsta Mo Mini
15th October 2004, 04:29 PM
I've been watching this one from afar and I'm glad it's now back on topic. For my tuppence worth, unlike MiniWorld and Mini Mag, GoMINI seem have bypassed the very people which will they will ultimately rely on to keep their mag going and that's the "community" of enthusiasts out there. I personally couldn't care less about corporate projects or the glorified ads.

GoMINI were quick enough to contact MINI2, NMS & MIN2Mini when they were looking for cars to feature in the early issues but since then they don't want to know. The prime example being the Cullen Run - they were invited - they agreed to come - they didn't show!
Unless there's a dramatic change attitude I'm in no rush to buy it again.

GAJ
15th October 2004, 04:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ on the 15th March 2004

I bought the first edition, thoght it was rubbish and promised myself sever to buy another.
I bought the second edition too (I know!), thought it was rubbish and will not be buying it again.
Ever.
Defo!

And nobody agreed with me!;):p

Wul
15th October 2004, 04:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Oh dear!;)
(it's the folks who don't get the Megs on the go that should be shot!!:eek:)

End of;)

Hear Hear!:D

minidriver#1
15th October 2004, 04:51 PM
just for the record, i had my first car bought for me, it was a lovely pug 106 in horrible green. lol.

As for the mag, since its relatively new they need to get initial funding through advertising so its no surprise to see 50% of the mag dedicated to adds and glorified features. But it seems as though they arent cutting down on the ads, which is a shame. What do i want to pay £3 on a mag full of ads? no wonder its getting a worse reputation.

as for the spoilt brat thing, that was out of order on my part. i'm still pissed off at my car being vandalised and having to pay £980 to get it fixed. i'd have gladly taking the cash from the folks if they offered to get it fixed. lol.

Scottie
15th October 2004, 05:26 PM
The problem with Go Mini is that my car has not been in it.

I like any Mini Mag.

Fontal
15th October 2004, 05:42 PM
I hope that nobody will be to pissed off but I sent a link of this thread to Go MINI's edditor hopping that they would join in and give their response.
This is the reply I got:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the email — I’ve had a look through the thread.

I’ve taken over from Chris Anderson as Editor of GoMini from this week, and will — of course — welcome feedback from readers. If people would like to get their Minis featured, all they need to do is email me over a couple of photos plus a bit of info about themselves and their car and we’ll go from there.

GoMini will be evolving over the coming months (once I’ve got my feet properly under the desk!) but until then, please feel free to send me any comments, feature ideas or news you may come up with!

Kind regards,

Helen Webster
Editor, GoMini

Now I don't know about anybody else but I have sent them a few photo's and a description and history of the car on several occations but have heard nothing back.

Cheers Fontal

Julz
15th October 2004, 05:48 PM
With any luck, having a new editor may make a difference!:D

Monsta Mo Mini
15th October 2004, 06:01 PM
Heeeyyyy!!! Welcome to the job Helen!

For everyone's info Helen Webster was formerly editor at another well known Mini publication. We should see some progress in the right direction.

macblob
15th October 2004, 06:05 PM
Couldnt really get much worse IMHO

Good luck Helen :D

Steve74
15th October 2004, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

To prove a point raised (re GoMini magazine!!:p) is a few issues back they had 4 pages solely dedicated to "real" MINI drivers, gave a description of them, their car and why they liked the mini - it was in the "regulars" section of the mag - in the last issue it wasn't even there at all!!

With the amount of advertising throughout the mag anyways why the need to make the articles the same!? It's like reading a trade magazine for MINI's. Do their readers paying £3.80 every two months not put more money into their coffers than the companies advertising in each issue? so theres a reason alone for featuring more features on real peoples MINI's than development cars.

Let's look at the facts from the last issue:

P8 - Scottish Cooper - real persons car :)
P26 - Turbo Cooper - real persons car with lots of company plugging - but worth the read for the doors :)
P40 - Custom Cooper - real persons car - works in the Oxford Plant though!
P49 - Glorified Advert (One Click)
P54 - Yawn!! Cabrio article
P62 - Glorified Advert (DLS Coop S)
P69 - Glorified Advert (JCWS - a wee bit more interesting tho)
P74 - Mike Cooper Article - could've been part of the above article.
P78 - Glorifed Advert
P84 - Thunderhill - could've been soooo much better - more pics/ stories!!
P90 - Glorified Advert

Add to that the Chipped article, PlayMini profile, exhaust how-to all of which featured one product/company and you're getting the drift - 5 articles out of 14 are real people(ish)!!

Wuls right about the advertising element. Looks like they are featuring major advertisers cars to secure advertising bookings. It's a proven strategy. Given circulation will almost be forced for the first few months before a reader base is established it's a good way to ensure the business has a guaranteed cash-flow when it starts and a key selling point to advertisers - the bread and butter of this kind of business. I would think that these features were agreed when the advertisers signed contracts to book ad space - almost an advertorial deal but with more credibility.

They also need to gain more subscriptions as this is a proven revenue earner - I subscribe and if I dont like what the Mag is becoming it's more difficult to stop buying it - it's a good trick as people are naturally quite slow to stop the subs. If they keep on going downhill then it's not long before these people too stop buying.

My concern would be that the Mag will run out of features as they have pretty much covered most of the major tuning companies products so far. With an various Internet sites such as Mini2, much more in-depth material can be found on the cars, even some pretty good journalism by it's members in the review section on Mini2, I would expect the Mag to have difficulties at the end of the first year.

If they can start to feature more readers cars then they have an angle when the tuning company features run out. I also think they have to work on their features list and expand it laterally with mini-related articles, having done well with travel in the first couple of issues they should building a stronger Mag.

Good luck to them as it's a pretty well put together product and if they work hard at it might succeed.;)

Oh and also I dont think it matters how someone got their car. My first car was an old 70's Honda Accord, bought for me for my 17th birthday by my parents but my new MCS was paid in full by myself. As long as you have a Mini that's all that counts (or an Alfa Brian ;) ) :D;):p:)

macblob
15th October 2004, 07:02 PM
Alfa? weird ive never owned one of them :p

Steve74
15th October 2004, 07:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Alfa? weird ive never owned one of them :p

The other Brian, Brian!;) Aplogies. A lovely Seat I'm sure it is too ;):p:D:)

macblob
15th October 2004, 07:26 PM
Ooops too many folk with the same name lol

Heather
15th October 2004, 08:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

A lovely Seat I'm sure it is too ;):p:D:)

Yes, it very much is. Very, very fast and oh so shiny:D

Duncan Stewart
15th October 2004, 09:14 PM
I like Go-Mini and any magazine about Minis. Some months are better than others and Mags will alway promote ways of spending more money on your Mini - that why the advertisers are in there.
Just keep a cool head and decide what you like and don't get sucked into the "got to have it" fashion victim culture!
I do prefer the articles on mini runs, events and "how to" more than the "feature" cars which usually seem to be a case extreme modification or pristine show cars that are hardly used but then I understand that because they are the more unusual cars. If you featured standard / almost standard cars every month it would get boring plus the featured cars give you ideas for some mods you might like to make to your car.
My Cooper is my everyday car clocking up 20,000 miles per year and I'm not into car modifying so it will never be a "feature" car but so what - I enjoy driving it and proud to own it.
Well done to the people who do get cars featured, they have put in some hard work regardless of where the money comes from.
I would have loved to have seen an article on the Cullen run - perhaps next year?

Fontal
15th October 2004, 09:20 PM
I have just recieved another E-Mail from the editor of Go Mini and she is interested in covering the Blackpool run here is the E-Mail she sent me:

Hi Richard,

Looking at the website more closely, your Blackpool run in a couple of weeks sounds like fun! Who would I need to speak to if we wanted to come along and do some photos/run a feature on the event?

Thanks!

Helen

I have sent a message to bad dog mini about it so hopfully you'll get followed by cameras and a reporter

Richard

Julz
15th October 2004, 09:23 PM
If only there was a bigger attendance just to show how active NMS is!! Cullen would have been the run to cover, I personally see it as the highlight of the NMS calender!!:D

The Dogfather
15th October 2004, 09:33 PM
I agree with Julz, The Blackpool Run is a bit different from the usual NMS event, Cullen would be a better reflection on the level of support NMS has. Blackpool was always going to be a relatively low turn out as is a long way and not a cheap outing!

Steve74
15th October 2004, 09:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

I agree with Julz, The Blackpool Run is a bit different from the usual NMS event, Cullen would be a better reflection on the level of support NMS has. Blackpool was always going to be a relatively low turn out as is a long way and not a cheap outing!

Sounds like the Cullen run was too far for the Mag to travel!

Fontal
15th October 2004, 09:51 PM
Or it might be the fact that the Cullen run has been:D

Julz
15th October 2004, 09:54 PM
The Cullen Run SHALL return next year, eh John!!;):D

Thye missed their chance to see a bunch of nutters on the back of a tractor, at the top of a hill, getting soaked!:clown:

I don't think it's a case of Cullen being too far, it is closer than America after all!!;):p

Steve74
15th October 2004, 10:10 PM
Depends on if they just commissioned the story in the US - they seem to do a few so I expect they do it that way instead of sending people over.:p:):p:)

Anyway, NMS is getting coverage so that can't be bad.;):cool:

weefossy
17th October 2004, 01:49 AM
Have just enjoyed reading through this topic with interest and my comments may sound like the ramblings of an elder statesman, but my parents could never have afforded to buy me a car, but if they could have, they would have. My Dad did fight in a war to give me freedom of speech and always taught me to use it wisely and with consideration.
As for my "brats", they work hard for what they get and they do appreciate / look after what they have. Neil was doing 14 hour shifts during the uni hols without a break, to buy his half of the car... and me, well I work 70+ hours a week on a regular basis and like KJ I get a lot of pleasure and personal satisfaction spending my money on what is important to me.... and she who must be obeyed.
Keep the discussions lively (with consideration) on NMS and enjoy the pretty pictures in Go Mini.

Heather
17th October 2004, 02:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

and she who must be obeyed.

Well she does have excellent taste in suede cushions;)

minidriver#1
17th October 2004, 04:55 AM
i've read through my comments and thought about what i said and i think i aught to hold my hands up and appologise to a certain extent. by saying what i said i put a lot of people into the one bracket, which was unintentional.

as i said before my folks bought me my first car, and also placed a deposit on my mini, which i repayed them. what irks me is that those that get their cars featured in magazines when, in my opinion, they dont deserve. this is what is wrong with GoMini.

People tend to laugh at Fast Car and Max Power readers, but the majority of the cars in those mags i respect. some may look sh*t, but they are what the person wants and they put everything into buying that car and moddifying it.

if my folks bought me my car i'd be well chuffed. but what i am getting at is that i personally would have a greater sense of satisfaction if i could look at my car and say to myself, thats all my work. ya know?

The Dogfather
17th October 2004, 04:48 PM
I've bought all of my cars myself, but I would have made up if my parents had bought me one of mine. Trouble is my parents would never been able to afford to do that, however if you can afford to spend that sort of money on your kids then go for it; it's not the money that spoils it's bad parenting......

As for go mini I'll invite them along to the Blackpool Run but I'll make sure they know about the Cullen Run and my next run - The Twilght Run.

john
22nd October 2004, 12:39 AM
Started to read this thread but got fed up very quickly.
As for the mag if you want it buy it if not don't.

PS.I did not buy my car the finance company did and I am lucky enough to get to use it:clown:

Eggy7496
24th October 2004, 07:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

I've bought all of my cars myself, but I would have made up if my parents had bought me one of mine. Trouble is my parents would never been able to afford to do that, however if you can afford to spend that sort of money on your kids then go for it; it's not the money that spoils it's bad parenting......

As for go mini I'll invite them along to the Blackpool Run but I'll make sure they know about the Cullen Run and my next run - The Twilght Run.

i totally agree with BDM, the thing that i think that would turn them into a "spoilt brat" is if they didnt give a rats ar*e about there car, ie. not looking after it and totally abusing it.

i received my car as a gift, although it wasent entirely paid, have worked in a fish factory for 4 summers (yuck! lol (2 before i got my car))) managed to put forward a wee amount, doesnt every little help?

now that i have a years placement im earning some cash, courtesy of Shell. i've been able to get some wee mods on my car - yay!!
i look after mine and actually feel really embarrassed when its not clean. and im proud to say that the only flaws i have onmy car are some ickle stone chips on the bumper (there inevitable!!)

But this thread aint about all that!!

I personally thik Go Mini is a great idea, how many drivers out there (that own all types of cars) can say that they have a magazine dedicated to there type of car????

I've emailed the editor to see if i could get my car featured, all i need to do is send in some pics, fingers crossed:)

Do you just inform teh editor about your runs and see if they want to cover them?? my lochness run is coming up shortly.