PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaner Recommendations pls?!

maxibaby01
2nd August 2017, 06:42 PM
Hi, what are folk using for cleaning their alloys with please?!
I've just finished this stuff from Chemical Guys, wondered whether there was anything different/better Etc?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170802/e164a5e22b31e7377f72e09297c81b7e.jpg

It was good, you dilute it, so goes a long way, but wasn't desperately cheap.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
2nd August 2017, 07:18 PM
Smart Wheels for general cleaning, and Iron-X or equivalent every so often to clean iron deposits. Carpro Trix does tar and iron in the one product

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

EcosseGP
3rd August 2017, 09:28 AM
TBH it's one of the things I very rarely use probably because I clean the wheels more than most. However, I've been using Autosmart's red seven recently and found it to be very good on stubborn marks and wheels that have needed a good clean. It's a wheel cleaner come fall out remover and PH neutral (so it says) and it's good value for money ... apart from the fact you've to buy it in 5 litre cartons. I've used Car Pro Iron X in the past and it's certainly one that'll shift anything if you stand the smell.

maxibaby01
3rd August 2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your recommendations n comments, chaps!
Looks like I've gotta give something else a go, maybe the Red 7, just had a look and I've got a 5L of the Tardis in the garage, does work well!

Think I may actually have some of the -X iron remover too, or something similar that I also bought from Chem Guys!

EcosseGP
3rd August 2017, 10:20 AM
T tbh your wheels aren't that bad that you'll need anything strong although it's good to have as a "back up". If you don't want to buy 5lts I could try and get some down to you or if you can wait I'll give you some when I see you next.

brownz
5th September 2017, 01:35 PM
I must admit I've been using wonder wheels from Halfrauds for years, tried a few but it always comes out on top for me.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-tyre-cleaning/wonder-wheels-colour-active-super-wheel-cleaner-600ml

M600-RKJ
5th September 2017, 02:54 PM
Wonder wheels is very very strong I never used it without highly diluting it. Always a bit worrying when the bottles says to seek immediate medical attention if it goes in your eyes or mouth. I use Am detail wheel cleaner has a nice citrus scent and suds up a lot

brownz
5th September 2017, 03:22 PM
Wouldn't really call it a top tip, but I'd recommend not drinking, or using most cleaning products as an eyewash ;-)

I use it very sparingly when the wheels are really ****ty e.g. after a Eurohoon or trip to the Nordschleife when the dust build up is hooj.

Always used with an agitating brush and never leave it on for more than 5 mins, but I've seen it cut through crud that most others wont touch.

Smells like eggy tramp piss though ;-)

Fraser-OFG
5th September 2017, 11:42 PM
Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner - it's top quality stuff I wouldn't use anything else since first trying it

jait1122
12th September 2017, 08:42 PM
Personally use anglewax wheel cleaner and give them a blast with red 7 every 2nd or 3rd wash. I also seal my wheels with sonax wheel sealer every month

DS JCW
15th September 2017, 08:59 PM
Is there such a cleaner that isn't that chemical based and provides protection. I have diamond cut alloys with black paint on the mini, I used wonder wheels on my Mercedes that are also diamond cut and it's totally ruined them, I'm blaming that anyway. Be good for some winter protection too.

Mon the fish
15th September 2017, 10:20 PM
You need to use a wax/sealant on your wheels after cleaning them, there's no all-in-one product. You do get specific wheel sealants but I'm not convinced they're any different from a normal paint sealant

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

maxibaby01
17th September 2017, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all your comments, tips and advice!
I did put some wheel sealant waxy type stuff on them when I got them and before the tyres got fitted, i.e. straight outta the box on the MINI, but not on our other cars.
Seems to have lasted ok, but will have a look and see what I can find, based on your advice! :-)
I'm not the most diligent of cleaners when it comes to wheels, especially on the Audis, so probably time to start![emoji106]

Mon the fish
17th September 2017, 08:49 PM
I've got a bottle of Nanolex wheel sealant I'm yet to use, hopefully get that on over the winter when one of the cars is in hibernation.

Poorboys wheel sealant goes on really easy, but as with most 2 coats is needed really

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk