PDA

View Full Version : Buying !!!

Splitshift
31st July 2017, 09:17 AM
Hi all , heading out to look at couple coopers today, both around 88000 miles, apart from obvious, old car buying look puts, what specific mini stuff do I need to look for? Have heard poss gearbox and head problems, any recommendations? Both cars 53, plate, coopers leather , glass roofs.
Any help ��Greatly appreciated !!
Scott
Ps !! Someone told me the engine is the same as that used in Peugeot and Citroen, take it that is utter rubbish ?

callumrobson
31st July 2017, 09:30 AM
You'll be looking at the R50, these do not have Peugeot engines. Check for various oil leaks and opt for the 6 speed box if you can. Happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Splitshift
31st July 2017, 09:54 AM
Thank you !

Crombers
31st July 2017, 12:25 PM
Anything pre July 04 will come with the 5 speed Midland box & after that all R50's came with the 6 speed Getrag box that some prefer. I've got a May 04 Cooper that I've owned from new with 79000 miles & thus far I've had no issues with the gearbox. Apart from all your routine stuff, brakes, suspension, joints & general servicing the only issues are I've encountered are steering related. At 2 years old I had the steering rack & column replaced under warranty & at 4 years old I had to replace the power steering pump that I persuaded BMW to pitch in with a good will gesture that cost me less than 100 quid.

Happy hunting & let me know if you have any other questions :thumbs up:

Splitshift
31st July 2017, 02:14 PM
Thanks again , so prob 5 speed in cars I will be looking at, car is to replace a Citroen c2 which was bought to allow son on road, but I hate the engine, it's soft and horrible, and hasn't a temp gauge !!!! Hopefully the mini will have a temp gauge ? I have heard of people saying gearboxes can fail when they get sticky/ hard to get into gear?
Thanks again for helping !!
Scott

Crombers
31st July 2017, 02:35 PM
You can tick the temp gauge box :yes nod:

I'd say that my Midland box feels slightly tight/stiff (compared to my 2014 Corsa / 36000 miles which feels as light as a feather) and reverse can take a bit of coaxing when cold but then again it's all been that way since new. I'd like to think that I'm kind on my box being smooth & precise with my changes, never crashing through the gears even when giving it a right 'wee hoon' :thumbs up:

Splitshift
31st July 2017, 03:18 PM
Ok, if my mrs gives it a wee hoon then questions need to be asked !!!!

craigib76
31st July 2017, 03:33 PM
I would sell you my r53 bud pm me your email addy or mobile no if you have what's app and I will fire you over a few snaps
Cheers craig

Mon the fish
31st July 2017, 05:28 PM
No R50 Cooper came with 6 gears - the facelifts came with a 5 speed Getrag.

Most Coopers of that age will be on a replacement gearbox by now. Usual used car issues to check, but make sure all the electrics work as the BC1 module in the footwell can get wet and then go a bit loopy.

IMO the facelift cars (54 plates and on) are a better bet, a lot of little niggles sorted. Are any of those available?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Crombers
31st July 2017, 06:17 PM
Oops my mistake, thought all Getrags were 6 speed :blush:

Everyday is a school day :hand:

Splitshift
1st August 2017, 10:10 AM
Ok , looked at one yesterday, reminded me why I hate buying for myself!! When I was trade you turned up with a truck, looked , paid and left, but as a joe public it's ok to lie about the condition and miles!!!!grrrr think I might wait a bit to get some more beer vouchers saved and go for a newer model !!

Mon the fish
1st August 2017, 11:38 AM
Give us an idea of the budget to see if we can help.

And then we'll use man maths to completely ignore it and double what you planned to spend in the first place ;)