PDA

View Full Version : Clicking/ticking noise when driving

Surgy2
28th May 2017, 11:00 PM
Hi im newbie on here,

I have a 2005 mini cooper 1.6

I am hearing a weird clicking/ticking noise when i drive down the road, the noise gets faster the faster i go
It seems to be coming from the passenger front wheel area
I have read on various web sites and forums it could be various small jobs,
so started to change some parts to solve the issue
so far i have replaced:

Brake pads and discs all round
All wheel bearings/hubs front and rear
Front Drop links
All the shock absorbers
Near side drive shaft
Replaced transmission fluid

Each time after changing parts the noise is still pressent when taking on a drive

I am begining To think it may be coming from the gearbox has anyone encounted such a thing before and advise what the cause could be or remedy for this noise

Thanks in advance
Brian

craigib76
29th May 2017, 04:56 PM
Could be the cv joint on the offside (drivers)

badwolf340
29th May 2017, 07:22 PM
Does the noise get worse when turning

Surgy2
29th May 2017, 08:22 PM
no noise doesn't get worse when turning badwolf340
i could replace the drivers cv joint but sounds more like it is coming from passenger side to be honest craiglb76

craigib76
29th May 2017, 08:28 PM
If it's coming from the pass side it could be the timing chain tensioner

badwolf340
29th May 2017, 08:29 PM
Unlikely to be the CV joint ,after all you have changed most likely then the gearbox

Surgy2
29th May 2017, 09:02 PM
If it's coming from the pass side it could be the timing chain tensioner

doesn't sound like a timing issue as its only there when driving , engine sounds fine when idling and revving in nuetral
have ordered a driver side driveshaft will install that and see if that gets rid of this annoying sound

scooty
29th May 2017, 10:47 PM
if its reving without issue then its rotational,,,,,work it back from wheel to block,,,,,hard lock and reverse will click loud for cv joint,,and you will feel through the steering,,there is only a few things that turn round ,,,wheel,,disc,hub,bearing,drive shaft ,,jack it up,axel stand both sides and turn wheels ,,,with yer hands ,step by step eliminate the good bits

Surgy2
31st May 2017, 11:59 PM
i took off the driveshaft and now have a new problem, the new driveshaft didn't come with centre support included, so started to remove from old shaft ,but typical 2 min job has taken forever to accomplish, after removing cir-clip and giving a few gentle taps with a hammer the support wouldn't budge at all so took to battering it with a bigger hammer and even tried heat to remove, eventually it come off the shaft but it took the bearing with it, and after trying for ages to get bearing out i have managed to break part of the support off where the cir-clip fits in.

does anyone know where i can get a new support i have checked realoem.com and there is no part number or listing for it so don't know if bmw/mini will sell these separate from the driveshaft, have checked the internet and can't find one anywhere

craigib76
1st June 2017, 05:16 PM
I think I would take the shaft back and ask them to check and see if they have the correct 1 as I am pretty sure it should have come with it

Surgy2
1st June 2017, 06:14 PM
I got the bearing out and got carrier bracket onto new shaft ( but has no circlip installed ) but did take heat and some light taps with the hammer as it was a really tight fit but the noise seems to be still there

Advice for others i phoned mini dealler and they informed me they dont sell this part only comes as part of the driveshaft

Thanks for all the help and advice

Surgy2
5th June 2017, 10:42 PM
eventually got the driveshaft onto the car , noise is still present so I'm guessing it is within the gearbox, think it is a diff bearing maybe ,
has anyone had any experience at stripping a gear box down and rebuilding it ,any tips they can give , i have seen rebuild kits on the net

The gearbox is a getrag 5 speed incase anyone has and tips

a job for another day

Surgy2
13th June 2017, 07:41 PM
An update took gearbox off today and split it open

Inside i found that i was really lucky as my diff bolts were all loose and one had sheered but was still in place could of been alot worse if it had came out and was loose in gearbox.

Anyone recommend what thread lock to use on these bolts as they are in with loads of gear oil

Thanks