PDA

View Full Version : Hello! - 'Our' MCS Convertible is here.

NRM1979
3rd May 2017, 01:11 PM
So, in somewhat 'what are the chances' circumstances we now own our very own MCS Convertible (R52).

We originally hired it as our wedding car from Eastern BMW, Edinburgh in Sept '06 and by complete fluke saw it on Autotrader last week, south of Sheffield! Despite not being the time for buying a third car solely for fun, we had to have it!

It is now ours and will be driven daily whilst testing the dealers warranty, before storing over winter under a Stormforce cover (I think - hints and tips, please?). It's a lovely loaded MCS in Metallic Black with the 'Web' split alloys, cruise control, Xenons and the Cordoba Beige leather interior. The long term plan is to keep it for high days and holidays and as OEM as possible as a (IMHO) future classic.

Seems good mechanically, the super charger still sings like I remember and makes the kids laugh their heads off as we disappear down a country lane at speed with the roof down!

Generally in pretty good nick for an 10.5 yo car though there are a few to do's:

1 - Fix Passenger seat Tilt & Slide with a bicycle brake cable (as per instructions on MINI2)
2 - Refurb split alloys
3 - Touch up paint chips
4 - Tackle small bits of corner rust on the Tailgate before it gets any worse. (Looks like it's been rubbing on the boot seal)
5 - Get a 2nd key made up and coded to the car (Provisionally sorted via the B&M Centre)

Then there's a question I hope you can help with. The only non-OEM part seems to be a grubby iPhone/iPod connecter in the glove box that disappears through a hole in the side towards the stereo. What's the best way to get a discrete USB socket for MP3s (we don't have an Apple device in the house) AND Bluetooth enabled (whilst keeping the Boost stereo)? We have the buttons on the steering wheel but no BT that my phone could find. Would want the mic hidden away in the OEM location (I'm guessing amongst the switches and lights by the rear view mirror?). What are my options? The internet has been a bit lacking on a clear answer so far.

Already planning a wee road trip for the family on Saturday and a visit to MINI Mania at Knockhill on Sunday!

Maybe see you there?

Niall

CiderFex
3rd May 2017, 01:19 PM
Result.
[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
3rd May 2017, 01:22 PM
Welcome to NMS!

I use a Denison ice link to hook my ipod up - but as you've said you don't have one, speak to Mike at newministuff.com. He knows pretty much everything about ICE on Minis, so he'll be able to help.

I used a Stormforce cover for a while, but I would steer clear as they can mark your paintwork, and the car has to be spotlessly clean before you put the cover on which does turn into a right pain after a while. We used a Cabrioshield type cover for our Z4 when it sat outside; only covers the soft top and windows. Much better IMO

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Craig
3rd May 2017, 01:56 PM
Welcome from another R52 Owner [emoji2][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRM1979
3rd May 2017, 04:06 PM
I used a Stormforce cover for a while, but I would steer clear as they can mark your paintwork, and the car has to be spotlessly clean before you put the cover on which does turn into a right pain after a while.

Was that the 4 layer version with the anti-scratch super soft (allegedly) lining?

Another general question, is the Radio paired to the car, or does it use a Code? Can't find one in the documentation I have and I'm wary about disconnecting the battery all winter and then being locked out of the stereo in the spring.....

Mon the fish
3rd May 2017, 05:07 PM
Yes, the 4 layer one. It's good for what it does but I'd personally stick to the half cover.

I was told by a dealer that the radio is coded to the car, but I swapped mine years ago for another OEM radio and had no issues - no codes, just worked first time

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

badwolf340
3rd May 2017, 09:02 PM
:welcome:

EcosseGP
3rd May 2017, 10:09 PM
Welcome along maybe see you Sunday [emoji106]

MINI William
4th May 2017, 06:49 AM
Welcome to NMS.

jonnie
4th May 2017, 06:53 AM