PDA

View Full Version : Heavyish clutch

Alex
16th April 2017, 06:05 PM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question, I'm feeling a lot better today, and I will get some photos up soon!

My cousin popped round today, and he knows a good little bit about cars.

He thinks I bought a good example for the age of the car, being 11 years..

The only thing was the clutch was a little heavy, not slipping at high or low speeds etc and bitting point wasnt really low..

I just wanted to ask if the Mini Cooper s's in general have a clutch that isn't the lightest?

Or does this sound like a major thing giving off alarm bells?

Cheers guys!

badwolf340
16th April 2017, 06:37 PM
Not an alarm bell ringing moment as R5X variants have not the lightest clutch in the world but if you did replace it ,it would feel lighter

MINI William
16th April 2017, 06:43 PM
R53s don't have the lightest of clutches in the first place. Replacing it will make it a little lighter but will still be heavy.

Alex
16th April 2017, 07:14 PM
Great, thanks guys!

Again, sorry I couldn't make it today, but will wash the car tomorrow and then some photos up!

Mon the fish
16th April 2017, 07:29 PM
Clutch release bearing can go on them, could be related.

But as replacing the clutch is a gearbox-out job, I'd persevere with it

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

nobbyclark
18th April 2017, 02:15 PM
My clutch lasted 14 years and I only replaced it because it got very heavy (as opposed to just heavy). The replacement lasted about 2 weeks as the release bearing snapped. If the release bearing goes, it will be difficult to engage gears let alone the clutch being heavy. So far the 3rd one is working fine and the clutch is lighter.