PDA

View Full Version : How long would this take ?

c9aan
9th April 2017, 07:21 AM
I am looking to get my piston rings , timing chain and valve seals changed on my r56 works

would any of you have a rough idea of time please

badwolf340
9th April 2017, 07:28 AM
Are you sure you need them replaced ?

c9aan
9th April 2017, 07:35 AM
Good morning,
All I know is the car is smoking a lot once hot , its since I went the decat and map route . Do we have anyone on here who could check it out instead of opening its heart up

stoney
9th April 2017, 07:45 AM
Soeak witth douglas at B+M he may have a camrea to checknit out sounds like it may need a de coke if you only doing short trips

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

c9aan
9th April 2017, 07:53 AM
thanks for your help

badwolf340
9th April 2017, 12:36 PM
Basics need checked first ..is it running ok at idle any smoke or roughness ? Spark plugs ok ? No air leaks ,if all ok compression test (dry then wet ) cylinder leakage test would then determine if any leaks and from where (giving you guidance where to focus work) but if in dought give B&M a shout ,Douglas will keep you right

c9aan
9th April 2017, 03:17 PM
power fine , idle ok, but its smoking like mad when hot you really notice it when your driving slow and start stopping ie at the lights. No roughness the car is driving great loads of pops and bangs but loads of smoke . The smoke seems to be only when driving slow 20/40 mph range.

Will try and get the tests done you suggested

Thanks
Mark.

MINI William
9th April 2017, 06:43 PM
Why not speak to Douglas @ B&M and see what he advises

badwolf340
9th April 2017, 08:53 PM
power fine , idle ok, but its smoking like mad when hot you really notice it when your driving slow and start stopping ie at the lights. No roughness the car is driving great loads of pops and bangs but loads of smoke . The smoke seems to be only when driving slow 20/40 mph range.

Will try and get the tests done you suggested

Thanks
Mark.
Also check does it smoke more on over run (valve stem seals) ? And colour of smoke blueish (oil) black (running rich) white (water) ?

Blueboy
10th April 2017, 12:59 AM
Bruces Clubman does this ever since he got decat, only when sitting in traffic or idling, he was told this was a result of it. He is going to get it de coked before its sold. Car runs correct in every other way

c9aan
10th April 2017, 10:10 AM
Its only at idle and slow speed yes its blue ish in colour

c9aan
20th April 2017, 07:28 PM
That's the r56 booked in to have the engine rebuilt next week spoke with Douglas and its looking like piston rings and the valve seals , plus a decoke and a few other parts to change .

MINI William
20th April 2017, 08:48 PM
Great news

c9aan
20th April 2017, 09:08 PM
yes for the car not my pocket lol. but at least it will be fixed