PDA

View Full Version : What car next?

Steve74
11th October 2004, 11:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, what car are people thinking about getting after their current Mini. Does an Hyper Blue MCS owner uprgrade to an Pepper White MCS JCW or another make of car?

Just wondering...

To start:

Dark Silver MCS to Black MCS John Cooper Works possibly..
:cool:

Scottie
12th October 2004, 12:11 AM
Keeping my EB MCSW forever. Picking up a MCS Cabrio (November) which I might change when and if the Mini Pick up is out.

Will trade my Touareg for a Range Rover Sport maybe next year sometime.

Steve74
12th October 2004, 12:16 AM
Cab sounds nice...

Julz
12th October 2004, 12:22 AM
ooo ooooo, Fiona!!! I saw a CR cab in dundee on friday with black stripes, verrrrrrrrry nice!!;):D

Steve74
12th October 2004, 12:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

ooo ooooo, Fiona!!! I saw a CR cab in dundee on friday with black stripes, verrrrrrrrry nice!!;):D

So what would your next car be Julz?

Scottie
12th October 2004, 12:26 AM
Din'ae it will make the wait that much longer.

Burple
12th October 2004, 12:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Just out of curiosity, what car are people thinking about getting after their current Mini. Does an Hyper Blue MC owner uprgrade to an Pepper White MCS or another make of car?

Well I'm gonna be picky..
Ya cannae get a Cooper in Hyper Blue!! Nyah.. :p:p:p

Yer.. I know yer just hypothesising... but... Nyah!! :p:p:D:cool:

Steve74
12th October 2004, 12:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Just out of curiosity, what car are people thinking about getting after their current Mini. Does an Hyper Blue MC owner uprgrade to an Pepper White MCS or another make of car?

Well I'm gonna be picky..
Ya cannae get a Cooper in Hyper Blue!! Nyah.. :p:p:p

Yer.. I know yer just hypothesising... but... Nyah!! :p:p:D:cool:

Ok, Cooper S then Mr Picky :p:clown:

minidriver#1
12th October 2004, 01:49 AM
Coopers come in Hyper Blue btw.

i want something japanese.

Heather
12th October 2004, 05:09 AM
Stealth bomber...................;):D

Smurf
12th October 2004, 05:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini

Stealth bomber...................;):D

Go Girl!!!

:D

GAJ
12th October 2004, 05:12 AM
A McLaren SLR - a second hand one though cos I'm a bit skint at the mo.:) Or maybe a Kia Picante.

Smurf
12th October 2004, 05:18 AM
What comes after a Mini Cooper?

ANOTHER Mini Cooper!! (Different colour, and with extra bits, of course!)

weefossy
12th October 2004, 06:15 AM
Well, we love "Black Betty" and she'll do for now. Next one will probably be a ONE for number 2 child!!! Not this year Claire, just in case a campaign gets started!!!

The Dogfather
12th October 2004, 06:56 AM
Money no object - the Aston DB9.

Real world - JCW Pepper White with black vipers to replace the cooper and a Diesel Clubman to replace the Fester (that's if they put proper diesel engine in it) otherwise might be really sad and by a Berlingo HDI for the dog and to camp in so I can tackle the Munros.

monkimagic
12th October 2004, 07:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

What comes after a Mini Cooper?

ANOTHER Mini Cooper!! (Different colour, and with extra bits, of course!)

I'm with smurf :cool:

Monki

Steve74
12th October 2004, 06:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

A McLaren SLR - a second hand one though cos I'm a bit skint at the mo.:) Or maybe a Kia Picante.

There is one of the cars on Ebay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6315&item=2493667605&rd=1

With only 4 bids and at US $575,100.00. Bargain....:p

The Dogfather
13th October 2004, 12:12 AM
SLR - Is it just me or does the dashboard look a bit low rent, looks like you'd see that sort of finsh in a nissan!

Steve74
13th October 2004, 12:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

SLR - Is it just me or does the dashboard look a bit low rent, looks like you'd see that sort of finsh in a nissan!

Agree BDM. Looks cheap

Mini Me
13th October 2004, 01:36 AM
pepper white s works(FULL CONVERSION) you know you want one,plus did i mention i have one !!!!!!:D:D

Duncan Stewart
13th October 2004, 03:56 AM
Not sure but will defo be a Mini :D

ny152
13th October 2004, 06:19 AM
Will wait and see if MINI bring out a station wagon diesel in the a couple of years. If not then probably another diesel 3 door.

... also thinking of getting a Kia Picanto soon to replace a Corsa :).

The Dogfather
13th October 2004, 04:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by iain

pepper white s works(FULL CONVERSION) you know you want one,plus did i mention i have one !!!!!!:D:D

Don't you just hate it when that happens....... He gets my car for free.

Heather
13th October 2004, 04:51 PM

No such thing as free advertising eh?!?

Monsta Mo Mini
13th October 2004, 05:13 PM
It is FREE advertising at the moment....

Mini Me
13th October 2004, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

:Dhow much and what is involved is sponsering the site ?
i e-mailed you direct last week to find out,did you not recieve,as i am interested :p:p

Steve74
13th October 2004, 07:41 PM

:Dhow much and what is involved is sponsering the site ?
i e-mailed you direct last week to find out,did you not recieve,as i am interested :p:p

Stop hijacking my thread for advertising purposes or pay up :D;)

Monsta Mo Mini
13th October 2004, 08:54 PM
See the following thread:

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=0&whichpage=10

GAJ
13th October 2004, 09:05 PM

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=0&whichpage=10

Or even this one!! (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2092):approve:

Late night again MMM?;):)

Mini Me
13th October 2004, 10:07 PM

Ok , credit card now been out ma wallet !!!!!
rest assured i will top up quarterly(bonus,you see).
Does that mean i get a cool sponser thingy under my name:p:p
That pay thingy,with no broadband at work......my god is that the time ?

ELFMAN
14th October 2004, 12:12 AM
I had my COOPER for just over 2 years from 2001, then got the 'S'. I Intend to hang on to it for a fair while. Can't see anything I wouldn't regret swapping it for. Maybe a Scooby Impreza WRC with the factory 'PPP' kit.... still a lot more dosh than the 'S' though.

Thought about JCW Works conversion for later, but think it's way overpriced (OK, better Supercharger, Warranty/TLC etc, but Four Grand? BBR do theirs for £1300!!!)

7x16 Minilites coming at end of month and it'll be getting a "Playmini" Manifold to go with the system and possibly an "AMD" ECU upgrade. Then it should be putting out around 185BHP for a total of about £1100, and that's without touching the 'Charger Pulley, Cam, Head etc......they're for when the Warranty's up. So my 'next' car will be this one with better bits!

Money no object? Ferarri 360 Modena / Porsche 911 GT3. OR TVR 350C and a VW 'Split Window' Camper Van with a big motor!

Steve74
14th October 2004, 07:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

I had my COOPER for just over 2 years from 2001, then got the 'S'. I Intend to hang on to it for a fair while. Can't see anything I wouldn't regret swapping it for. Maybe a Scooby Impreza WRC with the factory 'PPP' kit.... still a lot more dosh than the 'S' though.

Thought about JCW Works conversion for later, but think it's way overpriced (OK, better Supercharger, Warranty/TLC etc, but Four Grand? BBR do theirs for £1300!!!)

7x16 Minilites coming at end of month and it'll be getting a "Playmini" Manifold to go with the system and possibly an "AMD" ECU upgrade. Then it should be putting out around 185BHP for a total of about £1100, and that's without touching the 'Charger Pulley, Cam, Head etc......they're for when the Warranty's up. So my 'next' car will be this one with better bits!

Money no object? Ferarri 360 Modena / Porsche 911 GT3. OR TVR 350C and a VW 'Split Window' Camper Van with a big motor!

Agree - the JCW is expensive. Almost second hand Porsche Boxter territory in terms of total price of car.

Would like the new Ferrari 430! But that aint gonna happen anytime soon. Maybe be tempted by the new Boxter S though except was told waiting times where 1 1/2 years!

Humourless
16th October 2004, 06:58 AM
I was considering the move to a Subaru Legacy GT. 250 horses and 250 lb/ft of torque are both really nice numbers. It had impeccable road manners and the best A/C I've ever felt in a car too.

But it just wasn't rewarding enough. So the next car that will replace my 2003 MCS will likely be.....

(wait for it)

....a 2005 or 2006 MCS.

-CW

euan
19th October 2004, 10:39 PM
I'm in turmoil on this one at the moment. Work will give me a company car, but the allowance sucks and would get a diesel Megane on a low spec. Do I (whisper) sell the S, run the Megane, save the cash and buy something daft later (like an Elise), or run the S, take the money instead and hammer the miles onto my own car. As I'll be doing 5-600 miles a week, it soon adds up to serious miles on my own car.

Ideal world? Keep the S and get something discreet, a fast Audi in black possibly. I still have a soft spot for the S2000 and the Alfa (well, all of them really).

The Dogfather
19th October 2004, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I'm in turmoil on this one at the moment. Work will give me a company car, but the allowance sucks and would get a diesel Megane on a low spec. Do I (whisper) sell the S, run the Megane, save the cash and buy something daft later (like an Elise), or run the S, take the money instead and hammer the miles onto my own car. As I'll be doing 5-600 miles a week, it soon adds up to serious miles on my own car.

Euan - I had a similar problem high weekly mileage (although I have to pay for it myself) so I bought a cheap second car - a new fiesta diesel. It's crap but it means I've got a MINI for the weekend.

euan
20th October 2004, 01:09 AM
The thought had occured - I fancied an old mini as work would pay the train and I could just leave the (old) mini in Manchester, but with winter coming in it would get a touch chilly!

Diesel comething looks likely - you can get seriously low milage 2 year old cars in central London as nobody uses them (I can hardly talk, my S has just done 10K in 18 months, of which 2500 where a blat to France), something Clio Diesel like maybe. Who knows. Why can't I just work close to home? Just one of the joys of IT Services....

Steve74
20th October 2004, 01:34 AM

The thought had occured - I fancied an old mini as work would pay the train and I could just leave the (old) mini in Manchester, but with winter coming in it would get a touch chilly!

Diesel comething looks likely - you can get seriously low milage 2 year old cars in central London as nobody uses them (I can hardly talk, my S has just done 10K in 18 months, of which 2500 where a blat to France), something Clio Diesel like maybe. Who knows. Why can't I just work close to home? Just one of the joys of IT Services....

It's where to park the blo*dy thing. I live in WC1 and it's near impossible to find a space!

The Dogfather
20th October 2004, 05:23 AM
Steve - What's the parking like in Watford you could comute to your car.

Euan - Tried the Clio it didn't handle as well as the Fester, perhaps a year old diesel MINI would be a good idea? Only reason I didn't get one was there wasn't any for sale up here.

minihabit
20th October 2004, 08:49 AM
I'll settle for finishing my kit car and SVA'ing it and, finishing the rally car I was supposed to finish last winter.....

But (should have added this bit origonally) will settle for getting delivery of our red MOC convertible when promised before christmas.. so that we can drive it home to Scotland.

Brian

Steve74
20th October 2004, 08:07 PM

Steve - What's the parking like in Watford you could comute to your car.

I already commute to my car in Scotland!!!!:cool:

The Dogfather
20th October 2004, 08:23 PM
Steve - I was going to say I felt sorry for you then I read your profile, Guatamala? Jammy sod!

Steve74
20th October 2004, 08:28 PM

Steve - I was going to say I felt sorry for you then I read your profile, Guatamala? Jammy sod!

Yup, very lucky. Got a couple of months off work so thought what the hell! Just finalising the dive trips now!!! Already sorted the 2 week bit where we travel around the volcanos!!! :cool:

The Dogfather
20th October 2004, 08:30 PM
Like I said - Jammy Jammy Sod....... ;p

Duncan Stewart
20th October 2004, 09:00 PM
I looked at getting another car as a weekday workhorse but it really does not make financial sense, no matter how cheap or economical the car you chose is. Far better just to stick with the Mini everyday providing one of the best driving experiences available and rack up the miles. (unless you are into cars shows or something and need to keep it immaculate)

Steve74
21st October 2004, 12:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I looked at getting another car as a weekday workhorse but it really does not make financial sense, no matter how cheap or economical the car you chose is. Far better just to stick with the Mini everyday providing one of the best driving experiences available and rack up the miles. (unless you are into cars shows or something and need to keep it immaculate)

I'm actually after a cheap car for London in January now - something that I can leave on the street and nobody will trash. Would be scared to leave my Mini out overnight here!

Duncan Stewart
21st October 2004, 11:56 PM
Would be scared to leave my Mini out overnight here!

Another good reason :eek:

Steve74
22nd October 2004, 01:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Would be scared to leave my Mini out overnight here!

Another good reason :eek:

maybe a honda accord :(

euan
22nd October 2004, 07:54 PM
I'm quite protective of my Mini (no, that's a bit of a lie, very protective) and I don't really worry about it in London. Mind you I live on a quiet street in a nice part of town. And amazingly, I never have any hassles parking outside my flat.

I think I've decided on the train for short (3 day) trips up to Manchester and just using taxis when I'm there, and taking the car for longer 4/5 day trips or when I get fed up of the train. The annoying thing with the train is that it's actually faster on the way up in the mornings. The car has pretty low mileage anyway, so a few miles won't do it any harm.

I drove it back last night, blatted it in one go as the car was just so good. I could not face doing that trip in anything else, the feelgood mini factor would be missing and I think I'd end up depressed of life without Mini. The bad thing is I can see I am getting more and more attached to the damn thing. It's going to have to take something pretty special to replace my Mini. When's the Aston AMV8 coming out? Need to start saving and selling body parts to afford one. I love new Astons, my week was made when i found out the nearest car showroom to my work is an Aston dealer. Not only that, it's on the blooming high street! Mind you, lot of footballers live round there, you could tell when all the wives went past in the Escalades with 18" bling on them, plenty of blondes in 911, Jag XKR, etc etc.

I guess the Aston dream (and it is just a dream) will have to live on for a bit longer.

The Dogfather
22nd October 2004, 08:03 PM
Steve - If your looking, I've got an eight year old A4 1.8 20v up for sale, can't get shut so open to offers.

It's in good nick, just needs a rear brake caliper (the old one's sticking) to get 12 months MOT.

eddie 44
23rd October 2004, 05:07 AM
white cooper S blue viper stripes :p:p:p

Steve74
23rd October 2004, 08:36 PM

Steve - If your looking, I've got an eight year old A4 1.8 20v up for sale, can't get shut so open to offers.

It's in good nick, just needs a rear brake caliper (the old one's sticking) to get 12 months MOT.

I'm prob gonna buy a Honda as I have good contact as Chathams in Edinburgh but I appreciate the offer. A civic will be pretty reliable I think!

Also not going to buy 'til Jan when I get back from my trip. Have you tried Ebay?

Steph
23rd October 2004, 10:14 PM
Black Eye Purple S with chrome wheels, tinted windows, body kit, diamond encrusted handbrake. Was sent to me in a dream...

Steve74
23rd October 2004, 10:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steph

Black Eye Purple S with chrome wheels, tinted windows, body kit, diamond encrusted handbrake. Was sent to me in a dream...

mmmmm. good choice...;):)

Mini Me
24th October 2004, 12:11 AM
Steph, apart from the handbrake ,your dream was about my next car(roll on january)......

Big Col
24th October 2004, 01:39 AM
Maaaaaaaaybe an 'S in March...

The Dogfather
24th October 2004, 04:00 AM
Steve - No problem, I've decided to give the Audi to my old man, it a cracking motor and I thought I'd lose too much money if I put it through the auctions. This way I get it off my drive and my dad gets a good motor.

I had a honda prelude never had any real trouble with it. If you can get a honda that you know the history it's a very good choice

euan
26th October 2004, 02:23 AM
It was on Top Gear a while ago that Honda have never had a Vtec engine back to them with any trouble. Now, I find that a little hard to believe, but if it's true, makes you wonder why everybody else can't.

Steve74
26th October 2004, 02:28 AM

It was on Top Gear a while ago that Honda have never had a Vtec engine back to them with any trouble. Now, I find that a little hard to believe, but if it's true, makes you wonder why everybody else can't.

Not sure if I believe that - used to work for Honda while I was younger and there were always plenty being fixed.

Good motors though. Had three accords and one civic so far. Just a bit bland!

Julz
26th October 2004, 04:17 PM

I'd heard something like that, but I think it was that Honda are the only car manufacturer never to have a recall on any of their models!:eek::D

The Dogfather
26th October 2004, 04:35 PM
If they can make a Bike engine that'll spin to over 10k rpm then a car that spins to 7k will be a piece of pi55.

euan
26th October 2004, 06:47 PM
Like I said, I wasn't sure I believed it either. However, I drove an S2000 not that long ago - what an awesome engine! If I could convince the other half to live with the interior (she found it bland after the mini) then I would be tempted to look at one next.

Steve74
26th October 2004, 07:34 PM

Like I said, I wasn't sure I believed it either. However, I drove an S2000 not that long ago - what an awesome engine! If I could convince the other half to live with the interior (she found it bland after the mini) then I would be tempted to look at one next.

Do they not spin the rear out too easy? Am tempted myself i have to say but test drove a Z4 3.0 and that was nice too!

The Dogfather
26th October 2004, 07:58 PM
Steve - Do you not think the s2000 looks a bit dull? I'd rather go for the VX220 Turbo. Not that I'll have that sort of money for quite awhile!!!!

Steve74
26th October 2004, 08:01 PM

Steve - Do you not think the s2000 looks a bit dull? I'd rather go for the VX220 Turbo. Not that I'll have that sort of money for quite awhile!!!!

I agree. I like the VX220 - test drove a turbo too. It felt tiny inside though and wasnt too practical. The S2000 is starting to date a bit. I may go for a Z4 now as they are coming down in price and the Boxter is megabucks and has a 1 1/2 year wait list for the S! The merc slk has similar issues!

The Dogfather
26th October 2004, 08:10 PM
What about the new Monaro, it was rated by Top Gear. It doesn't look like much but that 5.7 V8 must be a hoot!

euan
26th October 2004, 08:14 PM
The S2000 is starting to date a bit, that's true. Still an amazing car to drive. I've heard that the back end is a little wayward, but I didn't feel it anything other than solid when I drove it (partly in the wet - I can vouch that the roof does go up very quick!). Don't think you could call it dull, although it's not as visual as a Z4. The Z4 is nice, but I'd spend too much on the options list.

VX220, quite possibly the most impractable car in the world. Very good fun though...

Love the new SLK, but read a scary article about the price of options...easy to add 15K in toys (that included the essential AMG bodykit and wheels :))

The Dogfather
26th October 2004, 08:21 PM
Hang on a minute! Practical, Z4, S2000? They have a boot but that's about as far a practicality goes, the Monaro does have 4 proper seats and a huge boot though.

What about a TVR? It's the only decent thing to come out of my home town!

euan
26th October 2004, 09:37 PM
OK, so when I mean practical I mean you can drive them for a long distance without making your ears bleed, rather than move house in one (which I don't recommend doing with a mini - I did, and wouldn't do it again!). I think I'd get very tired of trying to get in and out of a VX220.

Love TVR's, but for Elise/VX220/TVR etc I always feel you need to have a "sensible" car as well as what is essentially a bit of a toy.

The Monaro is good for the money, but I think I'm a bit of a badge snob.

The Dogfather
26th October 2004, 09:44 PM
I can only aspire to be a badge snob!

By the way I wonder how long it'll be before Mercedes start to loose their reputation, as I don't think they've made a reliable car for over 10 years!

Julz
26th October 2004, 10:16 PM
It is an unwritten law that if you drive a TVR, never take it more than two hours away from home as after that recovery becomes very expensive!!:p

As for the Boxster S, was looking at pics of the new one last night and it's nearly bareable to look at:clown:

Duncan Stewart
27th October 2004, 05:29 PM

The Monaro is good for the money, but I think I'm a bit of a badge snob.

Do you own a petrol station ;) :D

The Dogfather
27th October 2004, 05:54 PM
Convert it to LPG!

Tahra
27th October 2004, 11:53 PM
My vote goes for the S2000. Now, if only Honda would do an S3000... ;)

(sorry to hijack the thread, but it is everso tempting to swap the MCS for an S2000 - it's a fair bit faster, much more economical and (grin) revs higher than any other car I've ever driven on a public road :) )

John

Steve74
28th October 2004, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra

My vote goes for the S2000. Now, if only Honda would do an S3000... ;)

(sorry to hijack the thread, but it is everso tempting to swap the MCS for an S2000 - it's a fair bit faster, much more economical and (grin) revs higher than any other car I've ever driven on a public road :) )

John

I'be been looking at them today but popped into Dunedin and they have a nice Z4 3.0...

DNV122
28th October 2004, 05:26 AM
I WANT AN ELISE 111R & I WANT TO KEEP MY MCS AND ADD A JCW KIT.

But we know 'I want's dont get' so I'm going to have to work harder then decide. The worst thing is that the Lotus franchise was shutdown the day I went to have a test drive.

Does anyone know where the dealer (Murray Group) is in Edinbuggers ?

Tahra
28th October 2004, 03:51 PM
quote:I'be been looking at them today but popped into Dunedin and they have a nice Z4 3.0...Yes, but I have a feeling that the Z4 is the poorer value option - even s/h it probably costs more than a new S2000, and the S2000 will probably be more reliable (being a Honda). I've spent a lot of time with the S2000 and it's one of the few cars I'd happily swap the MCS for - and though I think the Z4 looks nice, I'm not so sure it's even as good as the S2000 - but then, I've not driven one.

The Lotus dealer in Edinburgh is in the industrial estate which is to the north side of Wester Hailes - you can see it from the Glasgow-bound train line. It's kinda south of South Gyle, if that makes sense.

John

Julz
28th October 2004, 04:23 PM
When I got the mini, I was actually swithering between that, an Elise (in yellow) and an Evo6 (in black!). The mini won due to the fact we already had one pointless 2 seater car!!:p One day I will have one!:D

Monsta Mo Mini
28th October 2004, 05:02 PM
I'll add to this thread in that all I'll say is it ain't gonna be a MINI. ;) Mo is just an expensive peice of garden furniture at the moment - done about 60 miles in the past month :(

GAJ
28th October 2004, 05:50 PM

I'll add to this thread in that all I'll say is it ain't gonna be a MINI. ;) Mo is just an expensive peice of garden furniture at the moment - done about 60 miles in the past month :(

Ten quid, or the cat is out of the bag!;)

Steve74
28th October 2004, 06:57 PM

quote:I'be been looking at them today but popped into Dunedin and they have a nice Z4 3.0...Yes, but I have a feeling that the Z4 is the poorer value option - even s/h it probably costs more than a new S2000, and the S2000 will probably be more reliable (being a Honda). I've spent a lot of time with the S2000 and it's one of the few cars I'd happily swap the MCS for - and though I think the Z4 looks nice, I'm not so sure it's even as good as the S2000 - but then, I've not driven one.

The Lotus dealer in Edinburgh is in the industrial estate which is to the north side of Wester Hailes - you can see it from the Glasgow-bound train line. It's kinda south of South Gyle, if that makes sense.

John

I just prefer the Z4's handling. The s2000 is a little tail happy - it snaps without you being able to sense it whereas the Z4 is more predictable. A Z4 3.0 has better residuals than the honda which must be about 4 years old now. The elise is a stunning looking car but just feels tiny compared to other motors. I wouldnt like to be in a crash with all that plastic. Drives great though but funny brake pedal on the un-servoed pre 111R's.

Monsta Mo Mini
28th October 2004, 06:58 PM
:evil:

...i might have changed my mind anyway;):D

Tahra
28th October 2004, 08:16 PM
quote:The s2000 is a little tail happy - it snaps without you being able to sense it whereas the Z4 is more predictable. A Z4 3.0 has better residuals than the honda which must be about 4 years old now.
That's interesting - I never found the S2000 particularly tail happy - but then perhaps different tyres or minor model changes might have altered this, as I haven't driven a *current* S2000, only two seperate 2000-1-ish examples.

A Z4 of course may well have better residuals in relative terms as it's quite a bit pricier, but in absolute terms one can buy a year old S2000 for around £20k - whilst a one year old Z4/3.0 is around £29k (IIRC) - and the savings make all the difference.

In any case, I'm sure they're both great cars. The S2000 is also surprisingly economical - considerably more so than our MCS, I'd say...

John

Steve74
29th October 2004, 12:55 AM

quote:The s2000 is a little tail happy - it snaps without you being able to sense it whereas the Z4 is more predictable. A Z4 3.0 has better residuals than the honda which must be about 4 years old now.
That's interesting - I never found the S2000 particularly tail happy - but then perhaps different tyres or minor model changes might have altered this, as I haven't driven a *current* S2000, only two seperate 2000-1-ish examples.

A Z4 of course may well have better residuals in relative terms as it's quite a bit pricier, but in absolute terms one can buy a year old S2000 for around £20k - whilst a one year old Z4/3.0 is around £29k (IIRC) - and the savings make all the difference.

In any case, I'm sure they're both great cars. The S2000 is also surprisingly economical - considerably more so than our MCS, I'd say...

John

20k seriously? that sounds like a good deal

Tahra
1st November 2004, 07:06 PM
Well, they're about £25k list, and I've seen them for £23.5k new. There's a slightly older one for £16k in Kirkcaldy, which was *extremely* tempting...

John

euan
5th November 2004, 12:36 AM
I followed an S2000 yesterday in the light blue colour - very tasty. I have a horrible feeling that the next car may have to be something sensible like a (whispering) Golf TDI......

Wul
5th November 2004, 12:53 AM
Well if my employer doesnae get his finger oot and sort out my car allowance review then I may find myself in the ranks of the oil burnin' company ford mundane drivers! :eek::(

euan
5th November 2004, 10:01 PM
To be fair, I drove a TDCi Mondeo for a few days, it could be worse. Big, comfy cruiser that could go round corners. In fact, the Focus TDi I had on the A702 was just brilliant. Had a Toyota Avensis hire car for a while that was just awful. Sat Nav in it couldn't find Sighthill in Edinburgh, where the toyota dealer is...

The Dogfather
5th November 2004, 10:04 PM
The Vectra is a cracking car especially the 150bhp CDTI SRI. OK is a bit dull but handles well, very good spec, loads of torque and rides almost as good as a Jag

red_cooper
9th November 2004, 10:12 PM
after a mini??

hmm a proper bmw maybe!!!

m3 or a 330d then u've got big power +massive torque for big powerslides!!!!!

thats what has to come next!!!

either that or dare i say it a cosworth !!!!
nothing like puttin a cat amongst the pigeons

shoppie
11th November 2004, 10:10 PM
Another MINI of course!!!

Mines already ordered...

Yes, Goldmember is parting company with me for an Astro Black Cooper around mid December.:cool::cool::cool:
I have enjoyed the 2 ONE's I've had, but when SWMBO asked if I wanted a Cooper this time around - well!:approve::approve: I nearly took the time to think!!! So it'll be here early Dec and I cant wait!!!
Thinking of silver bonnet stripes, a silver union jack roof decal and maybe some lower-door graphics.

Tahra
12th November 2004, 12:58 AM
Damn, you could have bought our 1 year old S for the same sort of price as you probably paid for the new Cooper... :(

John