PDA

View Full Version : iTrip question?

Monsta Mo Mini
11th October 2004, 08:12 PM
Obviously this is for when I go on my hols to the US;) ...but what FM frequency do you find is the best for tuning your iPod to when using an iTrip?

Big Col
11th October 2004, 08:29 PM
I thought my iTrip was totally dross when I tried to use it in Glasgow as the airwaves were chock full.

Steve74
11th October 2004, 09:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Obviously this is for when I go on my hols to the US;) ...but what FM frequency do you find is the best for tuning your iPod to when using an iTrip?

try looking at www.ipodlounge.com for the answer

Heather
11th October 2004, 09:25 PM
Ive tried a few. Right now i am on 106.6. Col obviously gave up to easily;) Go through the FM freq and find a bit with little white noise and tune to that. Had mine for about a week now. Happy, Happy, Happy;):D

Big Col
11th October 2004, 09:28 PM
Oooh I'm impressed someone your age can work this new fangled technology Tribal. <sprints into the distance>

Heather
11th October 2004, 09:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Oooh I'm impressed someone your age can work this new fangled technology Tribal. <sprints into the distance>

I could teach you a thing or two!!;):D

Big Col
11th October 2004, 09:49 PM
<skids to a halt> <turns round and sprints back> Pardon? :D

3GGG
11th October 2004, 09:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I thought my iTrip was totally dross when I tried to use it in Glasgow as the airwaves were chock full.

Must be all the other iTrip owners :D;)

Monsta Mo Mini
12th October 2004, 05:14 PM
Well this thread has been a mine of useless information! Heather - thankyou for your constructive input.....

Big Col
12th October 2004, 05:37 PM
Oooh he's getting grumpy aint he! Must be the lack of sleep. No :) or ;) at the end of his post. Just a snippy wee comment and a few .....'s! pfff. Some people. :clown:;)

Note to the grumpy mod : I'm only kiddin'! I put :clown: and ;) at the end of my post. See see see!

GAJ
12th October 2004, 06:17 PM

Well this thread has been a mine of useless information! Heather - thankyou for your constructive input.....

What Heather says!;) I am wondering whether new iTrips may transmit an even lower powered signal than slightly older ones. The reception from mine seems to be better than from Heather's on the same frequency and in the same car. At the moment this is just a hunch - a controlled experiment will follow - stay tuned!:cool:

Heather
12th October 2004, 08:31 PM
Calum, I have to agree with GAJ. I feel that the signal from the newer iTrips are def not as strong as the older models. Before mine arrived I was using GAJ's iTrip in my car with my ipod and the quality of reception and sound was far better than what i have with the new iTrip. I have been using a stubby aerial and when i changed that to the standard MINI aerial it was slightly better but not much. How are you getting on with yours??:D

3GGG
12th October 2004, 10:22 PM
Calum, it so much depends on what part of the country you are in, round here 98.9 is clear, but when I was in the Outer Hebrides that was clobbered by another station and I had to retune.

Interesting about the old v new iTrips - do you mean the iTrip versus the iTrip mini version?

GAJ
12th October 2004, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
Interesting about the old v new iTrips - do you mean the iTrip versus the iTrip mini version?

No David, both are standard iTrips for 3rd/4th gen iPods. I had an iTrip for my 1st gen iPod too and that seemed to be more powerful still! Both Heather's and my iTrip are identical other than the booklet in Heather's has been updated to also show the button layout of the 4th gen models. Could just be a slight +/- fluctuation in power between individual examples though, rather than a deliberate cut in power by Griffin.

Steve74
12th October 2004, 10:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

No David, both are standard iTrips for 3rd/4th gen iPods. I had an iTrip for my 1st gen iPod too and that seemed to be more powerful still! Both Heather's and my iTrip are identical other than the booklet in Heather's has been updated to also show the button layout of the 4th gen models. Could just be a slight +/- fluctuation in power between individual examples though, rather than a deliberate cut in power by Griffin.

I read that Apple did do something to the volume levels to meet EU regulations. I wonder if that would change the output to the i-Trip? Where did you buy the model - UK or US?

GAJ
12th October 2004, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74
I read that Apple did do something to the volume levels to meet EU regulations. I wonder if that would change the output to the i-Trip? Where did you buy the model - UK or US?

European iPods are limited in their audio output (112dB i think, EU regulations), US models are not. This does not affect the power level going to the iTrip though - the power to the iTrip is not boosted by turning up the volume - it remains constant.

Monsta Mo Mini
12th October 2004, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty disappointed with the iTrip so far - I've tried a few supposedly clean frequencies and still get interference every now and again - you can even hear it while listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain!

Steve74
12th October 2004, 11:01 PM

I'm pretty disappointed with the iTrip so far - I've tried a few supposedly clean frequencies and still get interference every now and again - you can even hear it while listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain!

I use the Ice-Link. It's ok but rattles pretty bad. Good that it integrates with the steering wheel controls though.

Heather
12th October 2004, 11:03 PM

- you can even hear it while listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain!

:eek::D
Yup was thinking that as I was listening to System of a Down on full pelt. May have to invest in a line in option:(

GAJ
12th October 2004, 11:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini
May have to invest in a line in option:(

Great minds...;) You may have to invest in a newer head unit first though. I think only 2002 and later cars have line in enabled HU's even though the earlier ones look identical. Not sure about this though but seem to remember reading about it on MINI2 years ago. But my memory is knackered. I'll tell you something else; my memory is knackered!

macblob
12th October 2004, 11:51 PM
Im about to buy an alpine HeadUnit with aplines own link for the ipod.
Charges the ipod , full track listing and volume control through the HU. Going to get it from car audio direct, costing around £330 for everything incl facia adapter for the leon and relevant wiring.

Heather
19th October 2004, 05:52 PM
There was definitely a difference between the older and newer iTrips. For a start the newer model weighs less but does look the same. I had no luck getting a decent reception that stuck with my ipod, in my car. However I have had no such problem now I am using an older model of iTrip. Sound is crystal clear with no interference.
Conclusion??? Don’t buy a new iTrip, beg, borrow or steal an old one! (Unless you are loaded and can afford an ice link):D:D

GAJ
19th October 2004, 06:10 PM
Or can get the aux in fitted for £0.00!

Monsta Mo Mini
19th October 2004, 06:31 PM
I've now found a frequency which is good and clear (well as clear as an in car stereo needs to be) but every now and again I just loose the channel. I've also noticed that the iTrip drains the battery very quickly. I'll be lookinng at an in-line connection on my next car.

GAJ
19th October 2004, 06:39 PM

I'll be lookinng at an in-line connection on my next car.

Which will be a ....?????