PDA

View Full Version : induction kit

aimee_s
10th October 2004, 08:14 AM
ok, so ive read HEAPS of threads on this, and decided to just start another one for...well, for fun really. so many different options (again) k+n, pipercross....cant they just make one?!!?! anyway, any recommendations? seems a lot of folk saying that the pipercross dont fit so well...im really looking for a bit of a noise difference-dont have the money to get a whole new exhaust system, so opting for the cheaper way right now! and can anyone explain the difference between getting an actual induction kit fitted and just a new panel filter.... THANKS !! :D:D

seany
10th October 2004, 06:11 PM
put a hole in your back box, then it will make a noise, or a k&n

macblob
10th October 2004, 07:54 PM
RamAir induction kits sound good. Used to have one that TribalMini is now running in her cooper.
LnL is also using the same kit, sounds good and fits well. Either that or the K&N.
You wont get the same difference in sound just using a panel filter. Induction kits are more noisy.

lightbody
10th October 2004, 08:29 PM
The noise created by an induction kit is quite different to the noise created by an exhaust.

For instance - if you drive it gently it makes no extra noise at all, but if you boot it, you get a whole lot more noise, inside & out, and it makes the engine sound far, far more impressive! It also means that if you want to cruise quietly at 85mph, you still can!

I have a works kit, which i dont think you can get any more on its own, but is made by pipercross. Its a bit awward to fit but not complicated.

Heather
10th October 2004, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

TribalMini is now running in her cooper.

Its not a flintstones car!;):D I do have mcblobs filter and it does make a a very nice noise! I feel a very slight increase in response too. (thanks again brian....your reward will be in heaven:p)

GAJ
10th October 2004, 09:32 PM
I've fitted and driven coopers fitted with the Pipercross PK222, the Pipercross Viper, the RamAir and the K&N 57i.

The Viper does not fit well but i believe it has been slightly modified since the one I had was supplied. It requires a forced air feed though, so it requires modification to the standard MINI setup. It's not easily swapped back and forwards like the others - but it does give the biggest performance gain - and as it is red aluminium and carbon fibre, it looks cool! :cool: It's totally encapsulated though so it is quite quiet. Expensive too!

The PK222 sounds good but iIMHO is poorly made. It wobbles, rubs the bonnet lining and I would avoid it.

The RamAir is slightly better made than the Pipercross although the rubber fittings are very soft and easily split. It sits nice and low though so doesn't rub the bonnet lining like the Pipercross does - but although it sounds much better than the standard airbox, I don't find it quite meaty sounding enough! It is suitable for girls though!;)

My favourite and recommended choice would be the K&N 57i, it's reasonably priced, quite well made, a good fit (no wobbling like the others) and sounds fantastic! K&N also make a Typhoon system which I have not tried but it looks good - anodised aluminium in a choice of colours! mmm!:)

Don't expect any noticeable performance gain though, although all will make your car sound much, much better and give you a massive grin!:D

GAJ
10th October 2004, 09:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini
Its not a flintstones car!;):D

It's old enough!;)

aimee_s
11th October 2004, 01:27 AM
cool :-D thanx for all inputs so far! will have to see what my insurance think of an induction kit (another opportunity to whack on something else to my premium!) what JC say about the TLC...heard that it may totally invalidate it? or is that just a nasty rumour..

john
11th October 2004, 01:47 AM
I had one of the first Pipercross filters and I could have made a better fitting one myself and I told them so:blackeye:
I was then sent the modified version.
then I tried K&N,HKS,RamAir and then Finally a John Cooper Works induction kit.

Conclusion!!!!!!!!!

Well they all sound good :)

But as for performance:question:

I now have a standard filter and box on my car.

It works the best of them all but does not have that Growl to it:)