PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension / coilovers for road use

jdl_1967
4th March 2017, 05:58 PM
I'm looking for advice on the best suspension / coilovers for road use please?

I really don't want the car lowered at all, but that seems to only leave the option of uprated shocks with standard springs as all coilover and replacement suspension kits all seem to lower by the minimum of 15mm (Ohlins DFV coilovers), most by 20mm. I think even a 15mm drop would see me dragging the undercarriage everywhere. I run 195/50/15 which lowers the car considerably already even on standard suspension.

Thoughts and reviews of setups greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craig
4th March 2017, 07:27 PM
John, I have this setup ....

https://www2.bilstein.com/en/product/bilstein-b12-pro-kit/

No adjustment but that's what I wanted and it's transformed the car. It handles amazingly now [emoji106]. Your welcome to have a run in the car if you want. Very compliant over rougher roads and sticks to the road [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon the fish
4th March 2017, 08:21 PM
A 15mm drop over standard shouldn't be too bad - the JCW suspension (same as the GP) for the R53 gave a 10mm drop, and I had no issues with that.

It was actually pretty decent, a lot less harsh than stock, but didn't offer any adjustability; and I doubt you'll find it anywhere, new anyway.

APs, and KW seem to get a good name for comfort

CiderFex
4th March 2017, 09:06 PM
JCW suspension:
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/info-bm31-30-0-308-862.html

CiderFex
4th March 2017, 09:07 PM
JCW springs:
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/info-31-33-6-782-728.html

CiderFex
4th March 2017, 09:09 PM
I found the above whilst trawling t'internet this morning for something completely unrelated.
[emoji1303]

Mon the fish
4th March 2017, 09:48 PM
I didn't think stock would still exist!

Not cheap though, coils can be had for less allowing you to spend the savings on droplinks, bushes etc

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
4th March 2017, 09:49 PM
I found the above whilst trawling t'internet this morning for something completely unrelated.
[emoji1303]

Fabulous thanks, not bothered about adjustability, I'd only mess it up.

jdl_1967
4th March 2017, 09:53 PM
A 15mm drop over standard shouldn't be too bad - the JCW suspension (same as the GP) for the R53 gave a 10mm drop, and I had no issues with that.

It was actually pretty decent, a lot less harsh than stock, but didn't offer any adjustability; and I doubt you'll find it anywhere, new anyway.

APs, and KW seem to get a good name for comfort

Thanks for that, do you run coilovers now or still JCW?

Mon the fish
4th March 2017, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that, do you run coilovers now or still JCW?

I changed to Meister R about 5 years ago I think it was - definitely a bit stiffer, but much more control over camber etc.

You can spend more, you can get comfier coils, but I'm happy with them

jdl_1967
4th March 2017, 09:59 PM
John, I have this setup ....

https://www2.bilstein.com/en/product/bilstein-b12-pro-kit/

No adjustment but that's what I wanted and it's transformed the car. It handles amazingly now [emoji106]. Your welcome to have a run in the car if you want. Very compliant over rougher roads and sticks to the road [emoji2]

Thanks Craig, I'll take you up on that, I'm keeping an open mind. I'm not bothered about having loads of adjustment necessarily, I probably won't use it or know how to, but won't say no if I can find I decent set up. I really just want to refresh my 79,000 mile Sports Plus suspension. I find it quite crashy and it must be well worn by now.

Craig
4th March 2017, 10:04 PM
I'll arrange with you some lunchtime John for a wee run [emoji2]

CiderFex
4th March 2017, 10:12 PM
Very compliant over rougher roads and sticks to the road [emoji2]

...and front lawns, rear lawns, meadows, fields, grass verges...
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

CiderFex
4th March 2017, 10:12 PM
Fabulous thanks, not bothered about adjustability, I'd only mess it up.

No probs.
[emoji1303]

Craig
4th March 2017, 10:13 PM
...and front lawns, rear lawns, meadows, fields, grass verges...
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That was the previous setup [emoji23][emoji23]

CiderFex
4th March 2017, 10:14 PM
Ooops, sorry Craig.
Have you lowered the cutting height since last year ?
[emoji12]

Mon the fish
4th March 2017, 10:14 PM
Once you've got that mileage on a car, a suspension refresh is probably the best thing you can do.

Ball joints, bushes, droplinks etc should all be done to get maximum benefit - you've virtually got a new car then. From memory £2k would cover the lot

jdl_1967
4th March 2017, 10:25 PM
I'll arrange with you some lunchtime John for a wee run [emoji2]

Brilliant thanks Craig

Craig
4th March 2017, 10:26 PM
Ooops, sorry Craig.
Have you lowered the cutting height since last year ?
[emoji12]

Raised it - the last setup was chewing the grass up, not giving good stripes [emoji12]

jdl_1967
4th March 2017, 10:33 PM
Once you've got that mileage on a car, a suspension refresh is probably the best thing you can do.

Ball joints, bushes, droplinks etc should all be done to get maximum benefit - you've virtually got a new car then. From memory £2k would cover the lot

Brilliant thank you, I've already changed my ball joints and some bushes, so a portion of the way there already :-) I tend to drip feed my mods to avoid expenditure detection!

CiderFex
5th March 2017, 12:44 AM
I personally think the "drip modding" is the best option. You get to feel how each single mod actually effects the car and it also helps lower the chances of them being detected.
[emoji4]

Mon the fish
5th March 2017, 08:10 AM
I personally think the "drip modding" is the best option. You get to feel how each single mod actually effects the car and it also helps lower the chances of them being detected.
[emoji4]

I agree with this normally - but when it comes to the suspension, the new dampers won't work at their best if there's tired parts elsewhere; also you don't want to pay for labour twice - when you've got the subframe etc off, you might as well do everything when you're there

jdl_1967
5th March 2017, 09:00 AM
Group buy on MT at the moment on the new MeisterR ZetaCRD+ at £660.

Any experience here? It seems there were issues with knocking, but fixed now.

It appears their ride height adjustment is in the body of the shock, rather than compressing the spring. Is this better than compressing the spring?

Mon the fish
5th March 2017, 09:55 AM

It appears their ride height adjustment is in the body of the shock, rather than compressing the spring. Is this better than compressing the spring?

Absolutely - as you compress the spring, you lose travel and make it stiffer

stoney
5th March 2017, 12:28 PM

I have a set sitting awiting to go on to mine when i get chance !!! They take not a bed name and full ajustabuilty so happy with that !!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jdl_1967
5th March 2017, 12:53 PM
I have a set sitting awiting to go on to mine when i get chance !!! They take not a bed name and full ajustabuilty so happy with that !!

Thanks Rob, trying to find what their ride height adjustment is, but really struggling. Do you have any idea please?

Because of my clown car 15" wheel / tyre combo which has already lowered my car 20mm, I'm looking for the ability to keep the ride height as near to standard as possible.

Also, does their finish appear Scottish winter proof against the high levels of salt we use on our roads?

stoney
5th March 2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks Rob, trying to find what their ride height adjustment is, but really struggling. Do you have any idea please?

Because of my clown car 15" wheel / tyre combo which has already lowered my car 20mm, I'm looking for the ability to keep the ride height as near to standard as possible.

Also, does their finish appear Scottish winter proof against the high levels of salt we use on our roads?

I will take a few pics for you 2morow when back at work 👍

jdl_1967
5th March 2017, 12:59 PM
I will take a few pics for you 2morow when back at work [emoji106]

Thank you

Dobboy
6th March 2017, 07:58 AM
I've put Eibach Pro springs on my R53 with healthy standard shocks and they're very good. Much comfier and smoother than the JCW set up on my JCW, and with decent tyres more than adequate for some spirited driving up the back roads.

I'm sure when I measured the ride heights to compare, the fronts were the same, but the Eibachs sit 5mm lower at the back, so you loose a little bit of rake, but the car still feels and handles much better.

I picked the springs up for £45 second hand.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170306/730cb86921a8d72fde087b78d193f6ca.jpg

There's a set of JCW new rear springs on eBay just now I think.

jdl_1967
6th March 2017, 12:46 PM
Thanks, looking now

Dobboy
6th March 2017, 02:27 PM
here they are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371673726849?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You'd still need the fronts to match, think I paid £180 new from BMW for them.

If it's a road car if I were you i'd be more inclined to go for a new Eibach kit; i'm sure you'd be happy with the handling improvement and increased comfort for the expenditure, even better if you can get a decent kit second hand.

jdl_1967
6th March 2017, 02:32 PM
Fabulous thanks, are they OEM JCW?

Cheers

John

Dobboy
6th March 2017, 03:11 PM
As far as I can tell yeah.

stoney
6th March 2017, 03:33 PM
Here you go a few pics

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170306/9d0df3a5a6b4e99a4a6afe95e36b2530.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170306/a16e72cef6dead49c9f74ce3cea64383.jpg

jdl_1967
6th March 2017, 03:41 PM
Cheers Rob, they look amazing and beautifully made. Did the documentation give their minimum ride height reduction / how close they can get to standard ride height.

stoney
6th March 2017, 04:45 PM
Cheers Rob, they look amazing and beautifully made. Did the documentation give their minimum ride height reduction / how close they can get to standard ride height.

Will check 2morow out of the unit again now 👍

jdl_1967
6th March 2017, 04:50 PM
Cheers Rob, sorry to be a pest

stoney
6th March 2017, 08:45 PM
Cheers Rob, sorry to be a pest

Not a problem 👍👍

stoney
7th March 2017, 01:30 PM
Just had a look at the paper work and nothing to say what drop they give. just tells you to take a size of the current set up first for refrence.

jdl_1967
7th March 2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks Rob, I'm guessing that due to the height adjustment being separate to the spring, they could possibly be run at OEM ride height. I'll try and contact them.

Thanks again

John

stoney
7th March 2017, 01:44 PM
Thanks Rob, I'm guessing that due to the height adjustment being separate to the spring, they could possibly be run at OEM ride height. I'll try and contact them.

Thanks again

John

There is loads of ajustment so i dont see why not tbh im bad and like mine low tho but mine is not a daily 👍👍

jdl_1967
7th March 2017, 06:25 PM
Thanks Rob

Blueboy
8th March 2017, 08:42 AM
I'm fitting ST to my current Mini as they're great value and made by KW, different variations from just a standard coilover up to the ST XTA's which are fully adjustable height, rebound and camber adjustable if you were doing track day events. Spoke to the MD at autosport show at the NEC and he has a mini that he uses as a track toy and thats what he has fitted.

jdl_1967
8th March 2017, 09:41 AM
I'm fitting ST to my current Mini as they're great value and made by KW, different variations from just a standard coilover up to the ST XTA's which are fully adjustable height, rebound and camber adjustable if you were doing track day events. Spoke to the MD at autosport show at the NEC and he has a mini that he uses as a track toy and thats what he has fitted.

Great thanks, 1320Mini also recommend these

CiderFex
8th March 2017, 11:37 AM
T (maxibaby) has those fitted to GP1321 if I remember correctly.

maxibaby01
8th March 2017, 10:42 PM
T (maxibaby) has those fitted to GP1321 if I remember correctly.

Indeed, Pete.
They're great value IMO and I too had them fitted by 1320Mini nearly 2 years ago now. They come with front camber plates if you go for the XTA's like I did.
Get 'em set up and away you go![emoji106][emoji4]

jdl_1967
9th March 2017, 08:10 PM
Are they compliant in normal road driving?

c9aan
9th March 2017, 08:31 PM
I am taking my meisters off the 56 cant get them set up going for bilstein I think