PDA

View Full Version : Experience / Advice on Lotus Elise

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 10:22 AM
I retire in a few months and considering treating myself to an Elise with a budget of around £15,000.

I'd always promised myself a Caterham, but after losing my rented garage last year, I need something that can be left outside.

I'm looking at a series 2, whilst not as pretty as a series 1, I think they're a better overall car. Engine wise, I'd like the K series, lighter and sound better than the Toyota sourced engines. I know their weakness of blowing head gaskets, but apparently there is a later head gasket which reduces this issue.

Tune / model wise, I'd want a 111S or a Sport 135.

After saying all the above, I'm more than willing to take advice from owners past or present.

Any thoughts / advice greatly appreciated.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

badwolf340
24th February 2017, 11:10 AM
Never had an Elise but did have a VX220 ( built in same building next to Elise) was fun to drive for the summer but got fed up with squeezing in and got a bit uncomfortable on a long drive lots of fun though

Bryce
24th February 2017, 01:02 PM
I had a client sell his Lotus Elise R in favour of a Caterham Superlight R and believes it was well worth it. He also had worries as he doesn't have a garage but he managed to source a clip on cover that is cut proof. That teamed with an immobiliser and he feels safe leaving it in his drive.

M600-RKJ
24th February 2017, 01:13 PM
I think a series 2 is the better choice. My cousin has a series 1 he uses as a track toy. Its mega fun and actually not that uncomfortable on a long journey its a 3 hour drive from here to knockhill for us. Only thing to watch is all the supension components. They can get very rusty. My cousin has recently had all of his shot blasted and painted.

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 03:32 PM
I had a client sell his Lotus Elise R in favour of a Caterham Superlight R and believes it was well worth it. He also had worries as he doesn't have a garage but he managed to source a clip on cover that is cut proof. That teamed with an immobiliser and he feels safe leaving it in his drive.

Oh dear, a Caterham was my first choice and this has made me reconsider. I'm so fickle. Thank you

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 03:36 PM
I think a series 2 is the better choice. My cousin has a series 1 he uses as a track toy. Its mega fun and actually not that uncomfortable on a long journey its a 3 hour drive from here to knockhill for us. Only thing to watch is all the supension components. They can get very rusty. My cousin has recently had all of his shot blasted and painted.

Thank you, I do live the looks of the series 1, but I think the series 2 is an overall better car.

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 03:37 PM
Never had an Elise but did have a VX220 ( built in same building next to Elise) was fun to drive for the summer but got fed up with squeezing in and got a bit uncomfortable on a long drive lots of fun though

Thanks, I do like the VX220 too, which I'm sure is basically a rebodied series 2 with a Vauxhall engine, minus some of the looks IMO, but appreciate beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I plan to keep my R53 for comfort ;-)

wsmdesign
24th February 2017, 04:58 PM
I had a series 2 with the rover k vvc engine. Great car with terrific handling - no power steering and you had to jump on the brakes....few scary moments. In the end I got fed up with the getting in and out the car (which is a real effort) and opted for comfort. If it's not an every day car then the compromise is worth it. The bodywork isn't great for stone chips and I knocked off a piece of fibreglass on a low kerb. All in all a great car and more practical than a Caterham.

Mon the fish
24th February 2017, 06:11 PM
Would a TVR be an option? Chimaera, scratch that V8 itch?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Craig
24th February 2017, 06:24 PM

currently helping rebuild one at the moment and they are incredibly simple to work on ;) this one has the slightly bigger V8 in it...

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 06:34 PM

I've always loved TVRs, but I prefer light weight and less power. My driving skills would be found wanting as I slid backwards into a ditch. I'm a terrible driver!

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 06:41 PM
currently helping rebuild one at the moment and they are incredibly simple to work on ;) this one has the slightly bigger V8 in it...

My mechanical skills on on par with my washing prowess (cars, not a personal hygiene admission). The old Buick heritage V8s do sound out of this world though, better than the TVR developed / built straight six engines, in my opinion anyway.

Mon the fish
24th February 2017, 06:42 PM
I've always loved TVRs, but I prefer light weight and less power. My driving skills would be found wanting as I slid backwards into a ditch. I'm a terrible driver!

I sat in a VX220 before buying the R53, and would have bought it if I could have seen through the windscreen, instead of over it [emoji20]

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 07:06 PM
I sat in a VX220 before buying the R53, and would have bought it if I could have seen through the windscreen, instead of over it [emoji20]

How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and don't fancy looking like Noddy!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170224/6360aa856038a0d98332eae1e9e31a31.jpg

Mon the fish
24th February 2017, 07:09 PM
6'4" - defo have a try in one then, as I suspect you may be a bit tight

jdl_1967
24th February 2017, 07:10 PM
Brilliant thanks, I'll pop along to Murray Lotus in Edinburgh. Thank for the heads up, no pun intended